Electrical Short - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #1

Electrical Short

I have a 2005 Dutchman, I hooked the battery up to put the slide out so my daughter and friends could use it for a sleep over, when I put the smaller wire on the positive post it sparked and then the circuit breaker on the front of the camper near the battery started clicking. When I tried the slide out it would move for a second and stop, move for a second and then stop again. Apparently I have a short some were I just don’t know how to locate it. Does anyone have any ideas?

jerouleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Washington
Re: Electrical Short

Hook up your amp meter so you can see the draw and then start pulling fuses until you see the draw stop. Then you'll at least know the ckt you need to chase down.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
VIP Member

Re: Electrical Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerouleau
I have a 2005 Dutchman, I hooked the battery up to put the slide out so my daughter and friends could use it for a sleep over, when I put the smaller wire on the positive post it sparked and then the circuit breaker on the front of the camper near the battery started clicking. When I tried the slide out it would move for a second and stop, move for a second and then stop again. Apparently I have a short some were I just don’t know how to locate it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Curious about your statement "smaller wire"???? Are you sure you have the battery hooked up correctly???
2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerouleau View Post
Do you know what circuit the clikcing breaker is controlling? If you disconnect it what happens?

The smaller wire on my rig goes directly to the tongue jack, so it seems strange that you would have the small wire going to the slide.

Is it possible that your main positve cable was making just enough contact to create the symtoms you are describing. If reminds me of having the positive wire resting on the positive terminal and trying to start your truck, it does noting but click.

I hope it is something easy to track down, 12V electrical problems are the most frustrating electrical problems to trace.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote