E-Z Lube Axles - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

Florida
E-Z Lube Axles

Hello, I am curious to know how many use the Dexter EZ Lube axle zerks to lube your axles? I have used them on a previous TT and had no problems or issues but I have read about some who have had problems. I'm debating whether to use them or take in in to my dealer (I trust them) and have them do it the old fashion way. Comments/Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
RDJ

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2718 View Post
Hello, I am curious to know how many use the Dexter EZ Lube axle zerks to lube your axles? I have used them on a previous TT and had no problems or issues but I have read about some who have had problems. I'm debating whether to use them or take in in to my dealer (I trust them) and have them do it the old fashion way. Comments/Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
I like to see what going on with my brakes and bearings so therefor I clean inspect and repack once a year

Old 06-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Illinois
I say use with caution. Way too easy to overgrease the rear bearing which will leak out the seal and damage the brakes. On non braked axles, not that big a deal though.

They should be inspected at least yearly, or every other year just to make sure the grease is good and actually in the bearing and not just in the center of the hub.

Also a caution to the type of grease used. The grease that is usually used in grease guns for joints is not very good for roller bearings, too thin, so make sure the grease used is for wheel bearings. I had used what I thought would be OK, and a year later did a full inspection, found it was too thin and pooled in the hub. The bearings were OK, but had very little grease IN them. Switched to a heavy moly based lube, and haven't had a problem since.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2718 View Post

I am not sure which ones I have. They are Lippert axles.

I can tell you this. I took mine apart a few weeks ago.

Very little grease from Factory. Probably ok. Except for one.

Using an "easy lube fitting". It would take a huge amount of grease to reach the outside bearing. You have to fill the entire void between bearings in order to reach the outside bearings. The often heard and recommended 4 squirts is not going to cut it.

Take it apart first time at least. Then you are operating with some knowledge.

Your mileage may vary
Have fun
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Georgia
I think it’s important to understand how they actually work. The grease goes thru the center of the spindle and exits behind the inner bearing then pushes it way up thru the outer bearing and out the opening. Packing the bearings as it happens.

I have them on my boat trailer and give a few pumps before a trip and then flush them once a year by adding grease until fresh appears at the front. I usually slowly spin the tire as I’m doing this. A little messy but has worked well for me over 10 years on a boat trailer regularly put in salt water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	969E5874-FC2B-4F9E-A5CA-87077CB754CE.jpeg
Views:	3146
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	5502  
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
I think it’s important to understand how they actually work. The grease goes thru the center of the spindle and exits behind the inner bearing then pushes it way up thru the outer bearing and out the opening. Packing the bearings as it happens.

I have them on my boat trailer and give a few pumps before a trip and then flush them once a year by adding grease until fresh appears at the front. I usually slowly spin the tire as I’m doing this. A little messy but has worked well for me over 10 years on a boat trailer regularly put in salt water.

So how many "squirts" does it take for you to see the new grease??
Approximately??
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
So how many "squirts" does it take for you to see the new grease??
Approximately??
Well, I’m not sure. I use blue marine wheel bearing grease in every trailer I have and it’s pretty evident when compared to the old.

So, what I do with my boat trailer, before the first big trip of the year, I flush.

I usually buy 2 cartridges for this. So, I run about half a cartridge thru each hub....tandem axle boat trailer.

I regularly drag it 350 miles one way to Florida with me a few times a year.

I would imagine this may be a little overkill for a travel trailer. Maybe every 2-3 years on a flush....just because a boat trailer is submerged in water all the time.

Also, remember you don’t want your ez lube hub slam full of grease. I stick my finger in there and scoop out most of the excess in the cap....Be careful, the flange is sharp....you need expansion room to keep from blowing out your seals.

One other little tip, I carry an IR thermometer gun with me and check hub and tire temps every time I stop for gas or food. It’s a great way to see if you’re fixing to have a problem.

Anyway, that’s my system and....knock on wood....I’ve never had a bearing failure. Hope it helps.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

Arizona
I have Lippert axles also and I actually called them to find out what time of grease and they told me it's lithium complex so I like to use the red and tacky
mmgolfmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #9

Arizona
I have EZ Lube on my 3 axles but I don't use it. I repacked the bearings in 2016 and haven't touched them since. I did the repack properly and see no need to do it again anytime soon.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
RDJ

Washington
Years ago i heard that if you use the EZ Lube and fill the whole cavity of the hub with grease, the heat can not disperse out of the bearing area if its packed full instead of having an air pocket, just my 2 cents worth
Old 06-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #11

Arizona
I'm with Beck

I have a 23ft sailboat that I trailer all over the country. Gross weight, 4200lbs.
I put bearing buddies on the dual axles and have only repacked my bearings twice in the 14 years.
Reason being...I hand pack the USA made bearings, then keep the slight pressure up in the system. I do check them each year and found one bearing going bad (slight coloring) in all this time. That's when I replaced all bearings.
Yes, I use the blue marine grease on those wheels. And zipping across the desert when it's 110 degrees out and the bearings staying cool... is good enough for me.

I intend to follow the advice given by a bearing buddy engineer and hand pack each bearing on my trailer. Then, since they aren't immersed in salt and fresh water weekly...I'll check them for heat at each stop and spin check them a couple of times a year. They will get inspected each year by hand.

I'm fairly confident the bearings will be fine. My concern is the rear seal. I've read all the horror stories about the seals being cheap and/or poorly installed. So this summer (my down time), I'll be pulling the wheels to check the seals and bearings for the first time.

My advice to anyone....take the system apart, clean thoroughly, hand pack each bearing, snug up properly to set the bearings then back off. I actually run mine looser than most people. I like just a touch of movement when I grab the wheel and attempt to move it. Then check them religiously at every stop. Your hand is fine but a temp gun is easier! Once in a while, lift the tire off the ground and spin the wheel...listen for any noise at all. Turn the wheel by hand slowly, feeling for any vibration at all. If you are in doubt, take the wheel apart and look.

Seriously. There is no reason to have bearing failure on the road unless you simply get a bad bearing. Stuff happens. BTW, carry a spare set of bearings or have road insurance.
Hope this helps!
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:39 AM   #12

South Carolina
I have been using EZ Lube bearing systems on both my last and current TT. I grease them each year.
1. EZ Lubes ARE NOT Bearing Buddies! BB's are for boats, and are very different. They maintain a positive pressure under a spring. Not an EZ Lube at all!
2. As others have mentioned, it takes a LOT of pumping (hand lever-action, grease gun) to pump new grease all the way through the back, the core, and finally out the front. About 100 to 120 lever pulls. Keep going (slow and easy) until you see new, fresh grease coming out the front. One tube of grease does two wheels.
3. Make sure the wheel is jacked up, and that you are constantly rotating the wheel while you pump the grease. Do not use a pneumatic gun, the pressure could be too high, and then the grease will blow the seals, as some have warned.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #13

Arizona
MartyG, I wasn't implying Bearing Buddies had any relationship to our EZ Lube's. I was simply stating the way I keep my boat bearings working for years without issues. I'm not sure I will ever use the EZ lube system on my trailer. I prefer to clean, inspect and then handpack. From that point on...there should be no need for additional grease in the axles unless there's a leak. Good heavy marine grease will not migrate away...

BTW, Bearing Buddies are used on far more than just boat trailers...
Just a thought.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #14

Illinois
You know how I said trust but verify? Well, if you don't inspect them at least once a year to make sure the grease didn't blow a seal, you will never know.

Did my annual today, first chance I had from all the rain to get it done. Guess what I found? First three, no issues, bearings in great condition, brakes in good condition, then the 4th wheel.

Now to go find a new seal. EZ lube axles are nice, but never trust they are working 100%. Thankfully in this case the grease never reached the shoe material and stayed inside or I would be replacing the entire assembly instead of just a seal.

I should note, this is the first time I pulled the hubs since I got it in 2016 and have about 5000 miles on it. This was a previously owned trailer that I was assured by Camping World has been fully inspected and maintained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5290.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	5629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5291.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5630  
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #15

South Carolina
After 4 1/2 years of EZ Lube

Since we bought the camper in Jan 2015, I have been an advocate of using the EZ lube axle bearings, and greasing them that way. Approximately every 5K miles, I've been pumping grease all the way through until new grease comes out the front. It takes about 120 pumps on the hand pump to flush out each wheel. (For those who haven't read my earlier threads, the zerk pushes grease all the way back to the rear bearing, comes forward through the rear, then then cavity, then the front bearing and out the front. You keep pumping until you see new grease). It takes almost 2 TUBES of grease to do all 4 wheels.
Today, after 4 1/2 years and over 17,000 miles, I am pleased to report:
a. The bearings and middle cavity were full of grease
b. The bearings were in great shape
c. The brakes only needed a minor adjustment (that was my worry going in - I had never seen the brakes, the drums had never been off the vehicle!)
d. There was no grease pushed out of the cavity, nothing in the brake area.
e. My team of mechanics agreed the system worked well. They cleaned and inspected the bearings, hand-packed them, but still pushed lube through the EZ-Lube until all old grease was gone.

I am, however, going through tires:
In those 17K miles, I replaced the "China Bomb" tires at 7K, and now at 17K, the "new" Carlisles are showing sign of wear. Two mild, two ready to replace. Even so, I'm going to replace all four tires next week. We use this camper to visit our kids in Kansas and Nebraska, so we put a lot of long miles on this.

In summary, I just wanted to add this update to the EZ-Lube discussion. Put me on the side of the believers!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #16

Arizona
So, when was the last time anyone here did anything with the bearings in their truck? I think it's much ado about nothing with trailer bearings if they've been properly packed. The EZ Lube system makes it way to easy to pump grease past the inner seal and into the wheel drum and onto the brakes,
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Years ago i heard that if you use the EZ Lube and fill the whole cavity of the hub with grease, the heat can not disperse out of the bearing area if its packed full instead of having an air pocket, just my 2 cents worth
Hoo boy, this is my story regarding the proper use of EZ-Lube hubs. In 2015 I was proud of my new-used trailer and wanted to keep it maintained. When I got to looking at the wheel hubs I saw the Zerk fitting and reasoned that this was an easy to grease the bearings. I checked the You-Tube videos first and I saw one that showed how you want to pump in grease till you could see the old grease come out. I interpreted that to mean I should pump out ALL the old grease with the new grease. That's what I did. It took a half a tube of grease per axle but I thought it would bring me some peace of mind that my bearings were properly greased.
Well, while we were on I70 in Colorado someone passing me was pointing frantically to my rear. I looked in my mirror and my heart sank to see smoke pouring out one of the wheels. I pulled off the highway and stopped. I looked behind the wheel and there was black grease (it was red when I put it in) all over the wheel, brakes and all. Worse yet, when I tried to move the trailer the wheel started wobbling.
With help from AAA we had the unit flat-bedded to a repair shop in a nearby town. I was told that the axle spindle was pretty much destroyed and a new axle had to be ordered and installed which would take a few weeks. We hopped into the truck and drove back home and waited for the phone call saying the work was done.
When it came time to pick the trailer up, the owner of the shop told me that the bearing cavity had overheated and the build-up of pressure blew out the inner seal and got grease all over the place. His shop also pulled the wheels of the good axle to remove the excess and re-pack the bearings.
As a result of this experience due to my ignorance I leave re-packing the bearings to the local trailer shop. Once bitten, twice shy.