Dutchmen Kodiak v. Heartland North Trail - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #1

Utah
Dutchmen Kodiak v. Heartland North Trail

Hi all! First post here. My wife and I are looking to buy a bunk house bumper pull travel trailer for our family. We're looking mainly at Heartland North Trails and Dutchmen Kodiaks. Why should I buy one over the other? Is there another brand that I should be considering over these two?

I've tried to read reviews and numerous forums about both brands and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. It seems like people either love their trailer and advise everyone to buy it or they've had so many problems with it that they've advised no one to ever buy it.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback!

Trevut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:31 AM   #2

Colorado
I don't know anything about the Heartland trailers but I think I can safely tell you than no TT is perfect. These things are put together by assemblers not tradesman and they are built to be lite weight. No matter what you get you are bound to have "some" issues either early on or down the road so I'd look for two key factors. # Find a dealer you like and feel comfortable with. #2 just go with whichever one you like best (layout, colors, etc).
With our Kodiak 240 BHSL (bunkhouse), we had a cracked black tank within a week of taking possession. Our toilet was replaced twice for the knife seal leaking. We are now 4 years down the road and we've been full-time traveling in it for the last 2 years. We LOVE it. However, screws fall out, leaks develop and drawers fall apart. We deal with it, I handle a lot of it myself. Even though we have an extended warranty most of the time it's easier for me to just fix it!
Good luck with your purchase and just remember to have fun!

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevut View Post
Hi all! First post here. My wife and I are looking to buy a bunk house bumper pull travel trailer for our family. We're looking mainly at Heartland North Trails and Dutchmen Kodiaks. Why should I buy one over the other? Is there another brand that I should be considering over these two?

I've tried to read reviews and numerous forums about both brands and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. It seems like people either love their trailer and advise everyone to buy it or they've had so many problems with it that they've advised no one to ever buy it.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback!
First off, welcome to the forum! Secondly, the advice rcharrette gave is great. From what I have learned, it's better to take the SNAKEBITTEN attitude and roll with the punches RV's gives you and choose the one you like the best. it seems they all have issues and maybe some are NOT better than others (but they sure can be worse). Go with a dealer that is close, use the RV buyers checklists that have been posted here before. Ask the dealer to throw in items with the purchase (slide out toppers are really worth the $$$) and CONSIDER buying an extended warranty! there was a topic posted a few days ago concerning warranties and the one that was listed was a really good deal.

Good luck with your purchase!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote