Draining hot water heater.... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

North Carolina
Draining hot water heater....

Was wondering if, when you get done camping and won't use the camper for maybe another 6 weeks, do you drain the hot water heater?

2001 Chevy Silverado Z71 5.3l extended cab
stepbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:51 PM   #2

California
I do not drain it. My trailer is stored indoors and we are in Sacramento no problem with freezing or anything else. Always run the hot water before you turn on the heater. Even not draining it I get air in the line.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
I live about an 30 miles east of you, I don't bother draining mine once it warms up above freezing for the year. We typically go out for at least one weekend a month, and a couple of longer trips every year. I didn't winterize my unit until mid December this year, then loaded everything back up a couple of weeks ago.

If we have used it and it is supposed to fall below freezing I put my small space heater in the camper and turn the electric water heater element on. I also have tank heaters that I can turn on too.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:14 AM   #4

Tennessee
Nope, but don't drink the tap water either...
Old 03-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Florida
I drain mine since I don't want water sitting and "brewing"
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I've thought about this, but it's a sealed system, so there shouldn't be a problem?? Even though we don't "drink" the water, we obviously use it to shower, wash hands and I brush my teeth with it. We do use a filter on the city water hose.

I wonder how long is "safe" to let water sit in a sealed system before something starts growing in it? We camp every 6-8 weeks all summer and it's always been fine.

I know for a fact i've drank bottled water that was months old. Shrug... I guess i'll worry more if I ever get Montezuma's revenge
Old 03-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I figure that during the set up process at the next campground .....between hand washing and other little tasks I run enough fresh water thru the system before I begin using it for personal consumpsion that it is fine ....
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I've thought about this, but it's a sealed system, so there shouldn't be a problem?? Even though we don't "drink" the water, we obviously use it to shower, wash hands and I brush my teeth with it. We do use a filter on the city water hose.

I wonder how long is "safe" to let water sit in a sealed system before something starts growing in it? We camp every 6-8 weeks all summer and it's always been fine.

I know for a fact i've drank bottled water that was months old. Shrug... I guess i'll worry more if I ever get Montezuma's revenge
Bottled water is specially treated to have a shelf life. Since I never know what types or organisms are in the water at the campground, we use bottled water for ALL drinking (in addition to beer). I have a filter on the incoming water and a nice water softener also. We have a home in Georgia and if I do not drain or use the hot water, it seems to ferment and have a sulfur smell. I investigated it and it seems that this water in this location has an affinity for the anode and the reaction to the tank lining. Simple fix, drain it. Only takes a minute while you are tearing down (I have a faucet attachment so all I need to do is open the valve).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:55 AM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Our water at home comes from either a well or a municipal supply. The city water has enough chlorine in it to keep it fresh for quite a while. The well water not so much. We usually fill off the city water tap when we load up the camper. We drink bottled water just as a precaution, I have had Montezuma's revenge more than once and would prefer NOT to relive the experience.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote