Dometic AC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

Alabama
Dometic AC

Hello! We just purchased a 2021 Aspen Trail. I was a little concerned about only have a 13000 unit, but I was told the camper would be cold enough to hang meat with a dometic 13000 unti. We have a 28 foot, and was told that AC unit was plenty big. First week-end camping, it just didn't feel cold. The dealership said to bring it back and they would check into it.

Has anyone had this experience with a 28 foot camper and AC unit? How cold did yours get? We are currently waiting on the dealership for further information, but just checking to see what anyone else has experience with.

Camping101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #2

Florida
See what they come up with.it could be duct work above distribution panel is not sealed with aluminum tape correctly most are not as was mine, I sealed all my vents as well as distribution box as well as audio sound Proofing, you can also look at another unit (TT) and see if it’s different.

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #3

California
So the dealer told you the air conditioning would be cold enough to hang meat or someone you know and trust said so? If it was the dealer then I would take that with a grain of salt.

I would try and get it back to the dealer ASAP and when you go to pick it up I would not leave without them proving it is working. It is hot everywhere right now so hopefully they can prove it is working in the middle of a day when baking in the sun. You might want to pick up a cheap infrared thermometer to aim at the various vents too.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #4

Florida
Infra Thermometer is great idea then you could not only see what’s yours Reads but compare to others on lot . Home Depot or harbor freight has them fairly cheap
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #5

Arizona
Depends on where you are, I think a 1300 in Arizona would not be enough,, we camped in Connecticut in June and July, putting the AC thru the ducts caused it to ice up, and no it never got meat locker cold,, had to re-tape everything plus multiple leaks behind TV they broke out part of the duct to run 120 lines and such down to the converter,, it was a mess,, the duct work is so small,, also was leaking between intake and exhaust,,, better but still not meat locker,, good luck with it all,, I wish we had bought multi units.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #6

Texas
Ac

I have a 25 foot and a 13500 unit and it gets cold, just not when it in the sun and 105. My AC was poorly installed and was sucking hot air in from the attic area and also blowing cold air in the attic on the other side. I cut boards and insulated with foam and metal duct tape. This makes a world of difference as mentioned above.
moconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:18 AM   #7

Arizona
Just went through this with Advent. Good people. Good responses. 100 degrees and trailer wouldn't get below 82 inside. And my trailer is 4 season insulated.
Tech mentioned the following:
1. Condenser fins bent. Slowing air flow.
2. Evaporator/condenser fins dirty.
3. Ducts leaking. (Mine is a channel in the roof insulation. With 90 degree bends. Ugh
4. Condenser seals broken. Tape up.
5. Evaporator not sealed. Tape up.
6. Look for condensation on outside of trailer around fridge area. Coming leakage for Dutchman trailers. Means duct has failed.
7. Insulation between return air and trailer supply air failed. Should be a solid spacer separating the 2 air flows. Like an aluminum dam between the two air flows. Tape up areas to smooth air flow. Remove any obstructions.. streamline them. Like bundle the wires that may be hanging.
8. Leakage around return/supply air ducts and trailer celling.

Many RV ACs are sealed units. Can't put gauges on them to check freon. But can check amperage draw of compressor. To much means low freon or blockage.

Basically, do all these things and your AC unit should blow 20 degree cooler air out then what is in the trailer. That's called the Split. My dealer was insistent that what the meant was the trailer would never get colder than 20 degrees from the ambiant outside temps.
I laughed at him and tried to explain the "Split" to him. No dice. CW people just don't get it, I guess.

I'm sure I've missed a few things.. But this should be a good start.
P.S. I'm in the middle of doing the above myself. Checking it all out.
How do these condenser fins get so bent anyway? Lol!

People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote