Denali power awning question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Texas
Denali power awning question

We plan on taking out our 2013 Denali 287re for its maden voyage this week. While having it at home this week I noticed something about the power awning that I never noticed before. On our privious trailer when you extend the awning it would go all the way out and stop. On this trailer when you extend the awning it extends all the way out however, it continues to roll and comes back in rolling the fabrics back in upside down. Long story short, it doesn't stop when fully extended. Are some awnings made this way? Also, when completely rolled out the fabric sags, you have to stop and roll it back a couple of inches to tight up the fabric, however in that position it's almost impossible to hang anything from the track since the track is now not on the bottom of the roller. Can you adjust this yourself? Hope that all makes sence. Thanks

Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
VIP Member

Re: Denali power awning question

Ours does the same. It is just different than a manual awning and I guess we have learned to live with it not being tight. We actually adjust it a lot more than we did the old manual awning. I have staked it down to pull it tight and that worked fine, but soon got use to the difference and now it doesn't seem to be as big of deal.

Enjoy the new trailer.

2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #3

Saskatchewan

If it's a Carefree of Colorado, like on our Kodiak, they are made to extend past the "normal" stop position. This is so you can get access to the utility slot in the roller tube for installing a screen porch or light hangers.

You need to have the slot in the 12:00 position (facing up, just past normal stop) to get access to it. Then after sliding in the light hangers or whatever, you retract the awning until it is snug and the slot is in the 3:00 position and the flap is in the 6:00 position. I use the fabric-type light hangers and leave them rolled up in the awning.

If not using the slot for accessories, jut extend until the awning goes slack and then retract until snug.

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
VIP Member

Ours is also the "Carefee of Colorado". I put 3 of those double track extensions in by turning the extra slot to 12 o'clock. The 3 in the track are plaed at each end and then one in the middle. They come in a box of 6. I used the other 3 on the bolt rope of a "Paddy O'Shade" and held them in place with GOOP, in a position equal to the ones in the track. This way I can easily install the "Paddy O'Shade", take it out and roll/fold it up simply around the tracks on the shade for storage.

Has worked well. The track stays on the awning all the time.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #5

Texas

I have the Carefree of Colorado on my Komfort and yes thats the way it operates till this past week when it stuck open and I had a heck of a time getting it to roll back in.
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

Texas

So I really don't get why it doesn't just roll all the way out and STOP. That way the accessories track would be at the bottom of the roll to hang lights and accessories. Also it's just so high up there when fully extended.
Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear25314
So I really don't get why it doesn't just roll all the way out and STOP. That way the accessories track would be at the bottom of the roll to hang lights and accessories. Also it's just so high up there when fully extended.
If you are talking about the "Carefree of Colorado" awnings, the accessory track has no access at the ends when hanging down. With it turned to vertical, there is a slot to allow items to be put in to the accessory track and then when turned down they don't come out, easily. ;-)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #8

There is no micro switch installed in the mechanics of these awnings in order to deal with the length of travel, you just have to figure out where you like it and thats it. I find rolling it out until the valance drops down is the best spot, any further and the struts for the water collecting on the awning dont work as well.
TheWeltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapcon131
I have the Carefree of Colorado on my Komfort and yes thats the way it operates till this past week when it stuck open and I had a heck of a time getting it to roll back in.
Did you figure out what caused it to have trouble closing?