Considering Manufacturers - Dutchmen Vs. Jayco - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #21
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRVMom View Post
I have heard mixed reviews on Lance - some say they are better than Jayco, some say worse. At best, I would think they are comparable. not many of them out there though from what I have seen.. we're looking for a bunkhouse of sorts. sleep minimum of 6 (REAL 6, not tiny people 6 ) preferably minimum of 3 adults comfortably and 4 kids
Lance is a fairly small volume factory compared to a lot of the big name brands. They also have limited distribution. I don't have anybody near me selling Jayco at the moment. Another one to look at that will probably have some good floor plans for you is Winnebago they seem to be pretty well built.

My reasons for the Lance:
  • Torsion Axles for a lower, softer ride
  • Low step entry height (torsion axles again)
  • GVW 6,000# making it half ton towable
  • Four seasons camping
  • walk around queen bed
  • Double Pane windows
  • Quality materials used in the build
  • Able to order what I want from them

I don't think any manufacturer is perfect, but after poking, prodding, repairing and owning RV's for 35+ years I have a pretty good sense of what is what.

Interesting story about a company that is no longer in business; Sunline built some decent wood framed travel trailers and did it very well. They tried to branch out into fifth wheels and laminated sidewalls. They almost went under because their quality control for those two years went away. I talked to one of the company bigwigs at an RV show and he said during those two years they lost their focus, they had sales volume but the warranty costs were eating up the profits. They had focused too much on getting the new lines up and running and not on their core business for good solid travel trailers.

Dutchmen management has been profit driven at all costs and there has been little to no QC from them. They have been replaced by a Keystone management team. IMHO QC is still hit or miss.

The best bet is to find a trailer you like, a dealer that has a good reputation that will work with you, not just pay lip service, and then do an in depth full blown PDI prior to signing on the dotted line. Tell them up front you expect it to be right and anything that is found during the PDI will be repaired prior to your finalizing the deal. IMHO that is the ONLY way you are going to get a decent value.

As far as towing capacities and what people tow, too many people believe the salesmen. That is probably the last person you should trust. My rule of thumb for years has been 75% of the towing capacity of the vehicle compared to the GVW of the trailer to be towed. As long as the trailer GVW was the lower number I was good to go, if it was close or over it was time to dig in a bit deeper. That rule of thumb has served me well over the years. Tongue weight from truck load capacity is a huge part of the equation, but unless a trailer had an unusually high percentage of tongue weight it would fall within my rule of thumb.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #22

Tennessee
Quote:
possibly - really hoping for a longer queen than what most trailers have. hubs is tall - so prefer an 80" queen or a good amount of walkaround space. Jayco Jayflight is 74" which is rather short.. and oddly - both floor plans you posted look identical (or at least I can't tell the difference)

thank you!
You can get a few more usable inches with a good foam mattress topper, which I guarantee, unless you are cyborgs, you'll be buying. Our mattress appears to be 80", give a point to Dutchman.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #23

California
Quote:
possibly - really hoping for a longer queen than what most trailers have. hubs is tall - so prefer an 80" queen or a good amount of walkaround space. Jayco Jayflight is 74" which is rather short.. and oddly - both floor plans you posted look identical (or at least I can't tell the difference)

thank you!
Those I posted are quite the same difference is one has a dinette in the rear other has sofa bed. Both are queens that are full size. How about something like this one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	292bhs-Aerolite.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2482

Has a King Size front bed.

Look for trailers with a max 10,000 GVWR that way you will know you are under your tow limit. The tags with that info will be on the left front side of all trailers. Wouldn't matter the brand.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #24

California
There are lots of RV's with the features you are looking for out there.
You need to look around & not pick the first one you like.
Here are a couple more to give you a idea.

Name:	31sqbwe Cougar.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2491

Little nicer so more $$

Name:	299ret Sprinter upscale RV.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	2492

If you don't mind me asking what price range are you looking at?
Are you thinking new or used?
Old 08-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #25

Ohio
we are looking now at the 'Dutchmen 315 BHDS' - not many of them out there, and its gross weight is under 10 (9 something) here is the link: 2014 Dutchmen Dutchmen 315BHDS, Akron OH - - RVtrader.com
OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:55 AM   #26

Ohio
We are considering used at the moment for 2 reasons, we want to save some money and to be honest we are bone tired of spending day in and day out searching only to not find what we want, oddly enough the one we are looking at is the same one we signed on and loved in early July, before we realized we couldn't tow it. Strange that it is still available nearly 2 months later. Looks brand new inside too. We will need to do a serious inspection of the trailer as all the scary quality issues are concerning. If we decide to get it. It may not be out last trailer, it may be only for,a few years and we may make wish lists along the way of things We like and don't. Ultimately we want to get camping. Sooner rather than later.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #27

Tennessee
Love the door that goes into the bathroom, saves a lot of unnecessary trips through the camper.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #28

Colorado
Mom,

As someone else posted...you really should look for a floor plan you like, and the work to get the best price you can.

A lot of us on this forum post when we have problems and then move to answer the concerns of other with our experiences.

That said...quality control in the assembly of trailers seems to be just about non-existent. Some get a trailer that is very well built, some get one that was either done first thing Monday morning or last thing Friday afternoon.

So we share ideas and expertise on how to correct the problems we run into using our RV. A great many of them don't take that much expertise or money to fix...just have to jump in and get started, and ask for help!!

Me, I bought an extended warranty...but I'll only use it for big stuff...like the fridge dying, or one of the other appliances failing. Everything else...I'll take care of myself.

Another thing I have learned...the hard way...

You have a problem with your auto, you call the dealer make an appointment, drop it off and usually get it back the same day or the next.

RV dealers are completely different. You make an appointment...and that's just the date you are going to drop it off with the dealer. It has nothing to do with when Service is going to look at it. And then, whenever they get around to looking at it...parts need to be ordered...and when those parts arrive has nothing to do with when Service will get back to your RV and make the repairs. So you'll read here about people that have dropped their RV off for warranty items...and don't get it back for months! And the repairs may not be the quality workmanship you expect.

Such is life!! That's why this forum is here to help!!!

Don't be discouraged!! You can make your RV a wonderful machine and have years of great times!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #29

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Mom,

As someone else posted...you really should look for a floor plan you like, and the work to get the best price you can.

A lot of us on this forum post when we have problems and then move to answer the concerns of other with our experiences.

That said...quality control in the assembly of trailers seems to be just about non-existent. Some get a trailer that is very well built, some get one that was either done first thing Monday morning or last thing Friday afternoon.

So we share ideas and expertise on how to correct the problems we run into using our RV. A great many of them don't take that much expertise or money to fix...just have to jump in and get started, and ask for help!!

Me, I bought an extended warranty...but I'll only use it for big stuff...like the fridge dying, or one of the other appliances failing. Everything else...I'll take care of myself.

Another thing I have learned...the hard way...

You have a problem with your auto, you call the dealer make an appointment, drop it off and usually get it back the same day or the next.

RV dealers are completely different. You make an appointment...and that's just the date you are going to drop it off with the dealer. It has nothing to do with when Service is going to look at it. And then, whenever they get around to looking at it...parts need to be ordered...and when those parts arrive has nothing to do with when Service will get back to your RV and make the repairs. So you'll read here about people that have dropped their RV off for warranty items...and don't get it back for months! And the repairs may not be the quality workmanship you expect.

Such is life!! That's why this forum is here to help!!!

Don't be discouraged!! You can make your RV a wonderful machine and have years of great times!!!

Pirate
thank you!

Oddly enough - this was the exact unit we fell in love with nearly 2 months ago, signed on, and sadly walked away from when we couldn't tow it with our F150. we spent weeks trying to find substitute solution, hybrids, then Motor Homes, then Hybrids again.. and finally, broke down and upgraded the truck. We didn't even jump right back to this unit - didn't realize it hadn't sold. Then, we realize it is available. there are a few things we learned in the time between that we realized we wish this unit had (thermal package, 15K A.C., 8 cubic ft Fridge) but they weren't deal breakers. and we wanted to get camping, so knew we had to start somewhere. This was what we fell in love with, so we are going with it. (Scared to death form reading all the horror stories) but we are getting a warranty as well as doing a thorough PDI.. we probably can't inspect the roof sadly as i have vertigo so getting up there and getting dizzy would be too dangerous. Husband can't do it either - we are at the mercy of the honesty of the dealership on that one. Everything else we will review.

Maybe we can have the tech go up on the roof and do a video for us..

in any event - I'm praying all will go well and this time next week it might be sitting in our driveway
Old 08-23-2015, 03:48 AM   #30

Colorado
Mom,

We've had our Voltage for a more than a year...I haven't been up on the roof, and have no intentions of getting up there!!

Doesn't leak, everything works...why would I?

I'm half-sighted, but even still...not getting up on the roof!! I might damage it if I did!!!

Pirate
Old 08-23-2015, 05:05 AM   #31

Texas
Mom,

What unit did you ultimately go with?
Bluebell_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #32

Tennessee
Quote:
Mom,

We've had our Voltage for a more than a year...I haven't been up on the roof, and have no intentions of getting up there!!

Doesn't leak, everything works...why would I?

I'm half-sighted, but even still...not getting up on the roof!! I might damage it if I did!!!

Pirate
Why, because even if it doesn't leak now, it will. I already had do do some caulking on mine after 1 year, and it sits undercover for 10 months + out of the year. Those things are constantly in a state of falling apart, especially when towed long distances. You better get up there.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #33

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Why, because even if it doesn't leak now, it will. I already had do do some caulking on mine after 1 year, and it sits undercover for 10 months + out of the year. Those things are constantly in a state of falling apart, especially when towed long distances. You better get up there.

^^this... ignoring it until there is a problem, might mean that the problem existed for awhile BEFORE you found it- and there could already be some serious damage (wood rot!) as a result.. best to be proactive, and at the first sign of a problem, treat it asap.

one of my absolute fears about buying a trailer is that it's going to fall to pieces on me. LOL there are enough horror stories out there!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #34

Tennessee
Quote:
one of my absolute fears about buying a trailer is that it's going to fall to pieces on me. LOL there are enough horror stories out there!
Oh, it's going to, the rate at which it does is entirely up to the owner. My last/first camper was a 2003 hybrid that was meticulously maintained. I knew nothing about properly checking anything on a hybrid. I'm super lucky it was very sound and water tight, saved me a lot of headaches.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #35

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Oh, it's going to, the rate at which it does is entirely up to the owner. My last/first camper was a 2003 hybrid that was meticulously maintained. I knew nothing about properly checking anything on a hybrid. I'm super lucky it was very sound and water tight, saved me a lot of headaches.
i am a tad OCD - and never stepped foot into a camper prior to spring this year. Well - that's not true - Hubs bought a pop up a couple years back, and I was in it and out of it a few times as he worked on fixing it up (he did a great job) - but it just was too much like tent camping to me.. it was an older pop up, nothing to it really. no toilet though it did have a sink and a stove - I think that was it. So aside from the casual glance, I never gave it much thought. Then we bought our first real Travel Trailer early spring and fell in love with camping. It was too small - and.. well that leads me up to today where we are getting ready to buy our 34+footer! Weeks and months of research, learning, getting scared off my rocker, buying a better truck.. learning about leaks, about delamination (I know people like the fiberglass walls - and more power to those that have them - but I opted for aluminum sided with hopes I never have to worry about the walls coming unglued) No matter how much I try to prevent problems and plan ahead - I KNOW we will have issues- and for the OCD cautious person in me, it freaks me out a little.. or more than that.. LOL But I bury that because my husband loves it and more importantly my Daughter and her cousins do too. I love it as well - the experience - just not the worry.. so we jump in with both feet, take the risk, and fingers crossed. For the family memories we hope to build it will be worth it.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #36

Tennessee
Quote:
i am a tad OCD -
That sounds familiar... I spent our first two trips in the new camper worrying about every stupid little thing, that's no way to live.

I learned to fix the little things as they popped up and didn't sweat the big things fridge/ac when they broke. Now we concentrate on having fun and relaxing, It's a lot better than an ulcer.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #37

Colorado
We ordered our Voltage Toyhauler in January 2014. We told the dealer we needed if for our first trip, the second week of May.

Well we had to push, to pay $300 cash to get it to the dealer in time...did a hurried PDI and then tow it home 120 miles.

Gave us three days to get it set up...so we headed to Moab with the RZR tied down in the garage, and stacks of boxes everywhere!! Spent the whole week in Moab unpacking and trying to learn as much as we could about the TH.

Had a list of concerns/warranty items...so took it back to the dealer and lost it for more than a month.

Today, I wouldn't have done that...I just would have figured out a fix and done it.

Today, TH is nearly done to my desires. Gotta replace all the black trim molding that is coming off, replace the main awning LED strip that is falling off (but I have a new strip under warranty). And gonna replace the D-rings in the garage floor that will hold a RZR in place without the ring bending....

Not hard that hard to figure things out...especially with help from forum members!!!!

Pirate
Old 08-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #38

Ohio
Quote:
We ordered our Voltage Toyhauler in January 2014. We told the dealer we needed if for our first trip, the second week of May.

Well we had to push, to pay $300 cash to get it to the dealer in time...did a hurried PDI and then tow it home 120 miles.

Gave us three days to get it set up...so we headed to Moab with the RZR tied down in the garage, and stacks of boxes everywhere!! Spent the whole week in Moab unpacking and trying to learn as much as we could about the TH.

Had a list of concerns/warranty items...so took it back to the dealer and lost it for more than a month.

Today, I wouldn't have done that...I just would have figured out a fix and done it.

Today, TH is nearly done to my desires. Gotta replace all the black trim molding that is coming off, replace the main awning LED strip that is falling off (but I have a new strip under warranty). And gonna replace the D-rings in the garage floor that will hold a RZR in place without the ring bending....

Not hard that hard to figure things out...especially with help from forum members!!!!

Pirate
good points - especially about losing the trailer for a month - that seems to be typical. and a waste. ugh. wondering about getting a warranty but only using it for big things like motors and appliances.. the rest of it we should probably try to fix on our own unless we want to lose it for awhile at the repair shop
Old 08-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #39

California
The main reason I RV is to get away from the worries of normal life & enjoy the great outdoors. I have great memories of RVing with my folks years ago. I remember those not the worries I had at that time.
Been RVing for 30 years and haven't had any RV's that fell apart over night. Some have been better than others. Had problems but nothing major except for blown tires. Fixed that by going to 17.5" wheels & tires.
The rig you are getting should be looked at with great expectations. The places you go, the things you see & the people you meet will build great memories. They sure have for me, my wife & kids!
Old 08-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #40

Ohio
Well said Mike. Just got mine back from Holman's to head down to Bristol. They had it 6 weeks. The big hold up was waiting for the fuel line hose for the generator. Ran the generator last night while unloading and it quit after 30 minutes and I couldn't keep it running for 5 minutes after that. Next item is to put a booster pump in the back. I will never take it back again unless its something I can't fix myself. Oh and when we got down to Bristol and open things up, it looked like they used it for a break room. Food particles in the sink, urine splattered around the toilet, bobby pins on the floor. Grrr.