Colemen 17FQ - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

North Carolina
Colemen 17FQ

I just bought a 2016 17FQ and have problems with it riding too low, awning does not retract without pushing it and was put together wrong, refer runs way too hot, has a burning smell, mattress shot after 1 weekend (we are not heavy people), A/C drains out siding, I had trailer 2 weeks, dealer has had it going on 2 weeks. Has anyone else had problems with this model? Dealer says they can flip axle (at my expense), add 2 12volt fans to refer, ordered new mattress, fixed A/C drain, ordered new spring for awning, will be 1 to 2 weeks before parts are in. This is not the way to start out with a new camper.

bobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

Florida
Is the height of the trailer a problem? And if so, why?

You should not have to add fans to the refer for proper cooling but it will help. I would insist on the refer cooling properly without the fans.

And it must have been a wild weekend to destroy a mattress...LOL...

The problems you describe aren't too far from the norm. My 2016 Denali 325RL is in the shop now getting a new AC and the repair of several smaller items.

Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #3

North Carolina
it rides so low I had a hard time backing into campsites without draging the sewer drain. I agree they should not have to add fans, at first the service advisor told me the refer was bad, but then changed it to adding fans. And really we like the camper but it was all the little things at once. And sorry to say it was not that wild.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Those trailers ride pretty low to start with, so things do have a tendency to drag. One thing I did with my sewer was to loosen the clamp screws slightly on the valves, so I could rotate the tee up and down to keep it from dragging.

There is something not right with the fridge if it smells hot. I would look very closely at the venting and make sure that it is done correctly and there is no wood getting too hot.

Other than that, sounds about par for the course in quality.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:45 AM   #5

South Carolina
I had the same AC in my (former) little Coleman. I had big issues with evap water leaking down inside the wall. Search this site, use my name, and find the photos and stories I posted.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

North Carolina
The dealer called and was updating me on what they have done so far and one of the things he told me was that the drain for the A/C was inside the wall, and they attached it were it was suppose to be, so that is fixed.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj View Post
The dealer called and was updating me on what they have done so far and one of the things he told me was that the drain for the A/C was inside the wall, and they attached it were it was suppose to be, so that is fixed.
Check it carefully when you get it back. For ours, there was no attached drain hose, i.e. the run-off was supposed to run out of the shroud on the outside of the camper on to the ground. In mine, the water back-tracked inside the wall. In Aarons (as I recall) they re-aligned the shroud. Check my pictures. Mine came out on a level, concrete pad, way back at the REAR of the camper, behind the wheel well. The dealer didn't believe me, and tried to find a cold water leak.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #8

North Carolina
Thanks, I will.