Coleman owners - Page 13 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #241

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I also found a bunch of used ones that still have all the stickers on up at a CW in Syracuse NY, is that where you found yours?
Syracus has about 20 of them in stock. They also have the Starcraft Mossy Oak 27BHU that I might be switching gears to.

Couple benefits of the Mossy Oak are a bit longer, wrap around dinette, real door to master bedroom (and slightly larger room), and obviously the construction being it’s fiberglass over aluminum frame vs aluminum over wood frame on the Coleman. Mossy oak also has a heated and insulated underbody and a larger gray tank (60+ gal). The mossy also has a true shower surround, not just the wall.

Couple advantages of the Coleman are a taller slide, a tub in the shower, and a few bucks cheaper in price.

Storage appears to be a wash between the two. The Coleman does appear to have a slightly better kitchen layout and undercut sink

Dutchmen vs Starcraft

Decisions decisions!

Sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:04 PM   #242

Nevada
Coleman 242bh

Just took delivery of our 2021 Coleman Lantern, have not had her out yet, still loading and figuring out what we want to have with us, when we were looking the Coleman had what we wanted and a better price point! I know there is probably better built TT out there but this one felt right for us , we will see how this works out!

rscozzens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:00 AM   #243

Arizona
Coleman

Welcome to the Coleman family!

I have a CTU 249RB. We like it alot. Yes, the interior isn't as nice as more expensive rigs, but the running gear and amenities are the same. Things like the heater, AC, fridge....

One of the most fun things with your camper will be making it your own. Live with it for a few trips, making notes. Then start spending the $$ to outfit it your way.

Just remember your weight limitations, both touring and tongue.

Have fun too!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #244

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
Welcome to the Coleman family!

I have a CTU 249RB. We like it alot. Yes, the interior isn't as nice as more expensive rigs, but the running gear and amenities are the same. Things like the heater, AC, fridge....

One of the most fun things with your camper will be making it your own. Live with it for a few trips, making notes. Then start spending the $$ to outfit it your way.

Just remember your weight limitations, both touring and tongue.

Have fun too!
Everyone, you might take a look at other "Thor" lines for the same floorplan. The Coleman line often has floorplans exactly the same as like, for example, Aspen Trail and a few years ago other lines. Thor "licenses" the Coleman name and pays dearly for it. When I was looking a few years ago, the floorplans were the same but you paid more for the Coleman's...likely to cover the licensing costs for using the name. Apparently, they just shut a line down from one brand and do the outside in Coleman colors then restart the line with the other branding. Coleman as a name is Primarily a legacy brand owned by Newell brands and makes few if any actual products anymore.

Newell brands has bought numerous old school high quality brands (I think Sunbeam is one for example) and does this making almost all their money from licensing the names. I'm not necessarily criticizing, just noting the facts. A company called Fleetwood used to license the name and make RV's. They ended up in a huge legal battle with Newell over the name and licensing rights and that battle played a part in their demise as a large but single brand RV manufacturer. Newell Brands does have quality criteria that a manufacturing company must meet to sell the name... The consumers judge that. I hadn't looked at this in like 10 years and see that they APPEAR to have gotten into actual manufacturing more than when they first bought all the brands that make them up. They were a leader in outsourcing with a twist. It looks like they later bought entire small companies with valuable products and continued the manufacturing thus getting back into "real" products. At first they just bought the brands, closed down the manufacturing and then licensed the name to other companies. Coleman was one of the first they did this with...per my memory.

Here is a list of Newell brands...brands... Rubbermaid storage and trash containers, home organization and reusable container products, Contigo and Bubba water bottles, Coleman outdoor products, writing instruments (Berol, Expo Markers, PaperMate, Dymo, Mr. Sketch, Parker Pens, Sharpie, Reynolds, Prismacolor, Rotring, X-acto, Waterman), glue (Elmer's, Krazy Glue), children's products (Aprica, Nuk, Tigex, Babysun, Baby Jogger and Graco), First Alert alarm systems, Calphalon cookware and kitchen electrics, Sunbeam, Rival, Crock-Pot, Holmes, FoodSaver, Oster, Osterizer, and Mr. Coffee small kitchen appliances as well as Yankee Candle, Chesapeake Bay Candle, Millefiori Milano, and WoodWick home fragrance products.

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote