Coleman 297RE Leaking Slide - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2019, 08:30 PM   #1

Wisconsin
Coleman 297RE Leaking Slide

We just purchased a 2014 Colman (Dutchmen) 297RE. On our first night it rained quite a bit and we noticed dripping water leaks in the top of the cabinets on the slide - a Schwintec slide. The other side slide (non-Schwintec) had no issues.

We did not have the awning out but rain was pouring down through the awning/led strip. The gutter looked clear. All seals on the slide look ok - they were just lubricated by the dealership we purchased from.

The camper was perfectly level but a large amount of water was pooling at the top of the slide.

When we put the slide back in one side seems to not start at the same time as the other side so I think we will need to do the retiming.

Besides the awning - the rest of this slide will be under a cover at all times. However with all the dripping down it is kind of useless.

Any thoughts??

BSBRose21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #2

Florida
Mark the places where the water is coming in and run-don’t walk-back to the dealer for repair.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Frank is correct. Sell it as quick as you can and don't buy another Dutchman, Colman, Keystone. Otherwise you have a good chance of a repeat, or other major problems.

Quality Travel Trailer Brands
Winter of 2018 I joined the Dutchmen Owners forum and expressed my disappointment with my new Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. My opinion of Dutchmen travel trailers has not improved since then. Total cost of ownership has not been lower than much higher priced trailers.
Last year I found a thread on iRV2.com started by a new member who wanted advice on what to buy for his first travel trailer. What followed was a compilation of 1000’s of camper hours of experience and a list of brands from owners with firsthand experience. Needless to say Dutchmen and many other Thor companies were specifically not recommended. Their only advantage is low purchase price. Jayco is now a Thor company and the last 4? model years are also specifically not recommended. A short list of recommended brands and brief comments follow. I wish I had this information before buying.
Artic Fox
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi
$25k to $50k thermal pane windows
Hamersville Ohio (Cincinnati)
Outdoor RV
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi , $25k to $50k
Thermal pane windows, dealer in Denver.
Cooler in sun, Excellent support
Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV Creekside or Timber Ridge.
2018 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700
Air Stream
Recent corrosion problem
Grand Design
Insulated well
Winnebago
Was Sunnybrook
Grand Design
One bad review
Elite Suites
Lance
Newell
TIFFIN
Excellent service
Nash
Oliver Travel Trailers
A company with a different business model.
New TT's are only available from the factory, no dealers. They have none in stock. They are only available by ordering. There are very few floor plans and sizes. Only the best components are used.

Easier to tow:
Air Stream, Oliver, and Escape are streamlined shaped trailers of high quality that are true cold and hot weather campers. They are easier to tow. They are heavier than many light weight and cost a lot. However, you get a lot more.
There are others that have curved leading and trailing roof edges. These also tow a little easier (see Forest River Rpod as an example). I have no first hand reviews of most other trailers.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Thank you for the thoughts of selling...

We are going to take it back to the dealer for repair. He said there will be no charge but I was hoping to see what areas we should look at since the water was pooling on the top of the slide.
BSBRose21 is offline   Reply With Quote