Coleman 249RB 2 issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Arizona
Coleman 249RB 2 issues

I posted this a few days ago in the Coleman part of the forum...no replies...so here is take 2. 2014 Coleman 249RB.

Hello,

I found a leak in the right rear corner of the wall of the bedroom area. Basically the leak is under the wall between the bedroom closet on right side and the storage compartment rear wall. I had water on the floor of the storage area near the rear of the storage door and the forward edge of the right rear bed area. So something is going on. I found no obvious problems on the roof, no problems around the window of the bedroom, no problems in the seal around the storage door and didn't find any bolts for the forward rail of the awning that looked wet or without caulk.
I'm perplexed. Any suggestions would be great!

Second issue. I'm going to add an observation camera under the center rear marker light. There isn't any factory mount there. Since this will be the first time I've torn into the exterior wall of the trailer...be curious as to what I can expect. Can I expect to be able to pull the wires from the center marker light down and connect to them? Do I have to come from inside the trailer somehow? Or can I fish up inside the outer wall to grab onto the wiring already there and tap into that?

Thanks in Advance!
david

People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:14 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
I posted this a few days ago in the Coleman part of the forum...no replies...so here is take 2. 2014 Coleman 249RB.

Hello,

I found a leak in the right rear corner of the wall of the bedroom area. Basically the leak is under the wall between the bedroom closet on right side and the storage compartment rear wall. I had water on the floor of the storage area near the rear of the storage door and the forward edge of the right rear bed area. So something is going on. I found no obvious problems on the roof, no problems around the window of the bedroom, no problems in the seal around the storage door and didn't find any bolts for the forward rail of the awning that looked wet or without caulk.

Second issue. I'm going to add an observation camera under the center rear marker light. There isn't any factory mount there. Since this will be the first time I've torn into the exterior wall of the trailer...be curious as to what I can expect. Can I expect to be able to pull the wires from the center marker light down and connect to them? Do I have to come from inside the trailer somehow? Or can I fish up inside the outer wall to grab onto the wiring already there and tap into that?

Thanks in Advance!
david

Check and see if the eternabond sealer is starting to crack and separate on the top of the RV. If you have a separation somewhere along the sealer, it could run down to any opening.

I put a wireless camera up on my RV, I used the center marker light's power to power the camera. I used Butyl sealer to make sure there were no leaks under the light or near the camera screws. I use it whenever I put a screw or need to reseal instead of using the dreaded silicone!

https://www.ebay.com/i/132820855428?chn=ps

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Check and see if the sealer is starting to crack and separate on the top of the RV.

I put a wireless camera up on my RV, I used the center marker light's power to power the camera. I used Butyl sealer to make sure there were no leaks under the light or near the camera screws. I use it whenever I put a screw or need to reseal instead of using the dreaded silicone!

https://www.ebay.com/i/132820855428?chn=ps
I have butyl tape that I've used on my sailboat. Good stuff. Thanks for the confirmation.

One question though....How do I get to the center marker light's power wires? Just tap on to them from the outside or can I get in under the outer skin and grab them?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #4

Florida
Talking

Quote:
I have butyl tape that I've used on my sailboat. Good stuff. Thanks for the confirmation.

One question though....How do I get to the center marker light's power wires? Just tap on to them from the outside or can I get in under the outer skin and grab them?
remove the lamp (usually two screws) to get to the wires and tap into them. I created a small notch in the lamp assembly to accommodate the camera wiring under the lamp. There are probably a hundred ways to do this so someone will certainly be along shortly with another scenario. That BUTYL tape is the best but you buy a hundred feet of it and use 12 inches...
Old 11-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
remove the lamp (usually two screws) to get to the wires and tap into them. I created a small notch in the lamp assembly to accommodate the camera wiring under the lamp. There are probably a hundred ways to do this so someone will certainly be along shortly with another scenario. That BUTYL tape is the best but you buy a hundred feet of it and use 12 inches...
Yep on the Butyl tape. I have about 40 feet leftover....I'm good for a while!
Regarding powering the camera...thanks. I didn't want to tear into the rear wall if I can just tap into the light externally. We are off Monday for a week camping. Will bring ladder and tools!
Old 11-28-2018, 11:32 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Yep on the Butyl tape. I have about 40 feet leftover....I'm good for a while!
Regarding powering the camera...thanks. I didn't want to tear into the rear wall if I can just tap into the light externally. We are off Monday for a week camping. Will bring ladder and tools!
I also replaced the screws in the light with stainless steel.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Butyl tape... my guys use if for chewing gum.

I used to work in the metal roofing side of the industry. I have CASES of that stuff laying around in a wide variety of sizes from 1/2" up to 12" wide.

I agree that it is great stuff to use for bedding things in and fastening through, shame the RV industry doesn't use it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:42 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Butyl tape... my guys use if for chewing gum.

I used to work in the metal roofing side of the industry. I have CASES of that stuff laying around in a wide variety of sizes from 1/2" up to 12" wide.

I agree that it is great stuff to use for bedding things in and fastening through, shame the RV industry doesn't use it.

Aaron
Maybe you should open a DUTCHMEN OWNER's BUTYL STORE... Selling 10' sections...

I agree that it is great stuff to use for bedding things in and fastening through, shame the RV industry doesn't use it----costs more than the cheapest cheap silicone and probably takes more time to apply correctly rather than just squirt it on and hope the coverage is good.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:29 AM   #9

Illinois
Camera mounting

Quote:

Hello,

Thanks in Advance!
david

I mounted a rear camera on my Denali. I just removed the middle clearance light, tapped into the wiring, drilled some new mounting holes and put the camera bracket there. Use plenty of sealant. Of course you have to drive with the lights on to power the camera, but that is not a problem and is safer.

Danfiver is offline   Reply With Quote