clearance lights leaking - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 AM   #1

Florida
clearance lights leaking

We have had more bad weather with Hurricanes etc. lately. I found a leak in the bedside cabinet in both sides of the bed. I checked and figured the leak was coming from the clearance lights on the front of the unit. I removed the lights and to my surprise there was no butyl tape on them. I installed butyl tape on the back of both and re-installed them, then I also used silicone to make sure the top and sides of each light was sealed, we had another frog strangler and there are no leaks now, I am waiting for the rain to slack and the sun to return and I will do the other 9 lights.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

Florida
Glad to hear you are OK. We had a little discussion the other day concerning Butyl tape and clearance lights. The consensus was that butyl tape costs more than sillycone... I tried to talk Wahoo into opening a Butyl store.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Glad to hear you are OK. We had a little discussion the other day concerning Butyl tape and clearance lights. The consensus was that butyl tape costs more than sillycone... I tried to talk Wahoo into opening a Butyl store.

I use Butyl tape and also I seal the top and sides with silicone (not the bottom of the light) after I re-install the light fixture.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Belts and suspenders

All of my current ones have foam gaskets, I use RV Clear Sealant on the tops and sides. Good call leaving the bottom open for condensation to drain out.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #5

Wyoming
I had the same problem though I found it when I was doing a random check with a moisture meter after finding a small leak under a window. The paneling at the front left corner showed a high moisture content. The only place I could find was the roof edge seal or the clearance light. I took it off and found a large hole where the wiring went through that was unsealed. Sealed that up and problem solved. I also went around to all the others and did those as well.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Belts and suspenders

All of my current ones have foam gaskets, I use RV Clear Sealant on the tops and sides. Good call leaving the bottom open for condensation to drain out.

Aaron
I don't understand Butyl tape plus silicon and leaving silicon open on the bottom.

I understand butyl plus silicon reduces risk of leaking. But, won't the Butyl tape seal the bottom? Water inside can't get out.

I have a large heavy role of butyl tape left from a shed roofing job. I didn't think of using it for sealing TT wall openings until I read this post.

The butyl I have is a sticky black material on a peel off paper backing. Is that what you are talking about?
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
All I use butyl tape for under the lights is to plug the hole where the wire goes in. It depends on how the light is made. Some have solid backs, others are just a shell.

The main reasons I don't use silicone, is because once you use it, it is all but impossible to completely remove and nothing will stick to it, including new silicone. It will also "microfracture" and lead to leaks in the sealant itself. It is a good product for something like windows in a building that have minimal movement, possibly some uses in a bathroom. The only place I have used it recently was when I had to splice in some LVP flooring and that is what the manufacturer called for. Not sure what your black tape is, all the butyl I have every dealt with has been gray.

Aaron
Old 12-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
All I use butyl tape for under the lights is to plug the hole where the wire goes in. It depends on how the light is made. Some have solid backs, others are just a shell.

The main reasons I don't use silicone, is because once you use it, it is all but impossible to completely remove and nothing will stick to it, including new silicone. It will also "microfracture" and lead to leaks in the sealant itself. It is a good product for something like windows in a building that have minimal movement, possibly some uses in a bathroom. The only place I have used it recently was when I had to splice in some LVP flooring and that is what the manufacturer called for. Not sure what your black tape is, all the butyl I have every dealt with has been gray.

Aaron
What is "RV Clear Sealant"? I should not have assumed it was a version of silicone sealant.

Your plan sounds better now that I understand the bottom is not sealed with butyl.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
What is "RV Clear Sealant"? I should not have assumed it was a version of silicone sealant.

Your plan sounds better now that I understand the bottom is not sealed with butyl.
It is made by Geocel and is a polymer based sealant. The solvent is xylene. It sets up pretty quick. It can be removed with a scraper and a bit of goof off.

Also comes in colors if you are so inclined. The main reason the RV industry uses silicone is price. A tube of cheap silicone is ~$3 the RV Sealant is probably around $8 wholesale.

Aaron