Broken cable on dump valve - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #1

Alberta
Broken cable on dump valve

Hi Guys and Gals. I went to dump out the black tank on my 2015 30BHSL and all I ended up with was a handful of cable. It looks like it broke off at the valve.
I haven't taken the floor down to have a look but does anybody know if you can still open the valve if the cable is broken?
The thought of having to remove the valve with a full tank is not a pleasant one!

Thanks

Russ

1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 AM   #2

Colorado
Russ,

You should be able to get to the valve from the underside and figure out how to open the valve and drain it.

After draining the tank...now is the time to install electric valves.

They aren't difficult to install and I think you can find my post here on my install projects.

Here's a link to the Valterra valve on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-E100...ic+waste+valve

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #3

Alberta
Hi Pirate: Thanks for the input. Thats the plan. I have not had time to take the underbelly down to look at the valve as it has been raining all week. I was just asking if it is possible to open the valve or do i need to call in the honey wagon to drain the black tank as there is no way i am going to attempt to replace the valve if the tank is full...LOL
i am going to install electric valves as this is the second time these useless cables have broken in less than 2 years.

regards

Russ
1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #4

Colorado
Russ,

Yup, the issue is the cable valves have an 8 ft cable that is sealed at both ends. So no way to lubricate the cable, the valve ain't anywhere near 8 ft from the pull handle...so its wadded up under the belly and the cable is cheapo, doesn't have a synthetic liner inside the housing...

Along with the Valterra electric valves I recommend adding at Valterra twist on valve at the end of the drain piping where you hook on to drain. Makes danged sure you don't get a lap full of you know what. For $19.30 you can't go wrong. I have them on both drain connections an just leave them there all the time.
Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...on+waste+valve

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #5

South Dakota
What Pirate said - switched mine to electric and haven't looked back. The outboard valves are cheap insurance against an unexpected 'discharge'.
2003 H-D FLHP/2010 H-D FXDC
xhogboss is offline   Reply With Quote