Black water valve - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #1

Texas
Black water valve

I recently tried to find a diagram of the plumbing for a 2017 Kodiak Ultimate...still no luck...advice?

Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:31 PM   #2

North Carolina
Kodiak Black Water Information

Looking online, the 2017 version of the Kodiak Ultimate has the bathroom on the rear. We have a 2021 Ultimate, model 2921FKDS with the bathroom in the center, separating the bedroom in the back and the living area in the front with pocket doors, so the actual routing of the plumbing is different.

The key information I can offer is the drain valve in our model is a slide valve built into the bottom of the tank, not a valve in the drain line itself. The valve is activated pull pulling a handle attached to a cable that in attached to the valve.

We had a problem with draining the tank. The cable felt loose so I thought the cable had detatched from the valve. We (traveling RV mechanic and me) cut open the pan to be able to see the valve action. It was working fine. The issue was it was the opening from the valve into the tank was blocked. We filled the tank all the way and the extra pressure pushed the blockage out.

If you have to find the valve, ours is a straight line from where the drain line goes into the pan under the camper. We were able to trace the path of the cable by listening to it scraping the bottom of the pan as we pulled and pushed the cable. It is a long round loop.

If you have to cut a hole in the bottom, make sure you leave one side connected. Tape it back up with Zip System Flashing Tape. You can get it at Lowes. It costs much less than the specialty tape the OEM recommends and is just as good.

Good luck,

Art
Rolling Condo

Art W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art W View Post
Looking online, the 2017 version of the Kodiak Ultimate has the bathroom on the rear. We have a 2021 Ultimate, model 2921FKDS with the bathroom in the center, separating the bedroom in the back and the living area in the front with pocket doors, so the actual routing of the plumbing is different.

The key information I can offer is the drain valve in our model is a slide valve built into the bottom of the tank, not a valve in the drain line itself. The valve is activated pull pulling a handle attached to a cable that in attached to the valve.

We had a problem with draining the tank. The cable felt loose so I thought the cable had detatched from the valve. We (traveling RV mechanic and me) cut open the pan to be able to see the valve action. It was working fine. The issue was it was the opening from the valve into the tank was blocked. We filled the tank all the way and the extra pressure pushed the blockage out.

If you have to find the valve, ours is a straight line from where the drain line goes into the pan under the camper. We were able to trace the path of the cable by listening to it scraping the bottom of the pan as we pulled and pushed the cable. It is a long round loop.

If you have to cut a hole in the bottom, make sure you leave one side connected. Tape it back up with Zip System Flashing Tape. You can get it at Lowes. It costs much less than the specialty tape the OEM recommends and is just as good.

Good luck,

Art
Rolling Condo
Thank you I definitely can't see anything so I have decided to call a tech guy. I might just need the handle replaced. Not sure calling a professional lol.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Thank you I definitely can't see anything so I have decided to call a tech guy. I might just need the handle replaced. Not sure calling a professional lol.
Thank you
Old 05-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #5

North Carolina
Slim,

My handle fell off. I just keep a set of vice grips that I attach each time set up camp. I would also recommend periodically lubricating the shaft with Vaseline to keep it from jamming up.

Art
Art W is offline   Reply With Quote