BLACK TANK Float register - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Texas
BLACK TANK Float register

It's working now but our black tank was showing full even when it was empty. So last outing I flushed it 3 times till it ran clear and then overnight I used a recipe I found on this forum that suggested using a "water softener". I filled the tank to almost full and let it set over night. Flushed it again and now the register (led lights) are showing empty Yeah!!!!

So is there a floater (please spare the jokes) in the tank that registers the current level? I'm guessing some tp got wrapped around it... Just curious how the black tank register the levels, and how they are made...

Thx All... This is a crappy subject... haha

Texas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #2

Ontario
The black tank monitors are very inaccurate. The only way to really check is to look down the pipe as you flush (plug your nose when you do it)

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Camper View Post
It's working now but our black tank was showing full even when it was empty. So last outing I flushed it 3 times till it ran clear and then overnight I used a recipe I found on this forum that suggested using a "water softener". I filled the tank to almost full and let it set over night. Flushed it again and now the register (led lights) are showing empty Yeah!!!!

So is there a floater (please spare the jokes) in the tank that registers the current level? I'm guessing some tp got wrapped around it... Just curious how the black tank register the levels, and how they are made...

No float as in a gasoline tank. The tanks have sensors placed on the tank to sense water/moisture.
The sensors get wet and sometimes give false readings so the addition of softeners or a long flushing cleans them off.
They are about as accurate as the dealer's turn around time.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #4

Tennessee
Haven't checked the black or gray tank levels with the monitors in 3+ years. They are inaccurate at best, after a while you just know how full they are.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:08 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
No float in the holding tanks. They use a small sensor that is screwed through the side of the tank, when it gets covered in liquid it sends a reading to the panel. There are better systems out there. One of my personal favorites is the SeeLevel one. Been around a long time and works great, just kind of expensive. I do more like WildWest450, I pretty much know how much is in there based on average usage.

Keeping the tanks clean with the Geo-Method is about least expensive way to go. I have used it or a variation of it for over 20 years and haven't had any major tank problems yet.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Texas
Nice to know there is no floating device to worry about. It was just bugging me when it showed full, when I knew it wasn't.
Yup that Geo-Method was what I did plus a good couple of flushes on a 40 gal tank.
I was surprised at how the softer worked during the over night soak. Good to know!!

I looks at those SEELevel systems. Nice but my tanks are buried under our trailer and would be hard to fit I think.. Plus I got other things I need to do to the camper.
Would like to get a shade cover for our slide out... that will be $400+.

Thanks for the comments ALL. Happy Trails
Texas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
They are about as accurate as the dealer's turn around time.
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #8

Arizona
sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Camper View Post

There are 3 sensors in each tank . Could have been debris stuck on one or sonetines condensation can cause it

acinphx2002 is offline   Reply With Quote