Bike rack - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

Bike rack

Has anyone added a receiver to the back of their TT that would accommodate bike rack like Yakima,etc.?
What else are you using.
Thnx, new rookie with Denali 262RB

GoingDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #2

British Columbia
Re: Bike rack

Welcome to the group....

We have a 3 bike Swagman...had it modified by welding the bike rack and receiver adapter together. Originally they were 2 separate units. They were connected by the trailer ball going through the holes. The receiver unit is a common TT bumper hitch type. I would only use it for a bike rack..wouldn't trust the TT bumper for any thing else. Not made heavy enough in my opinion for anything other than the spare tire and a bike rack. Had to move the spare tire and sewer hose carrier so I could centre the bike rack. When the bikes are installed I use bungee cords to stop the bikes from swinging back and forth. The bikes do not reduce the visibility of the signal, brake, nor tail lights. They rack sticks straight out the back a bit so a put flagging tape on the end of the rack so cars coming up can see it.

Here are some pics...hope this help

Thanks for joining the forum

Coops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 2.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	58   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 3.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	59   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Raclk 4.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	60  

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #3

Saskatchewan

Cooper,

How much bouncing around do you get with that setup? My dealer said the bumper wasn't strong enough to do that and recommended welding support bars from the bumper to the frame...

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #4

British Columbia

Dave...so far so good. We only put 2 bikes on the rack...the sewer hose carrier is fairly light and just the weight of the spare tire. Since the bike rack has been installed we have only put on about 300 k (186 miles)..but given your post will be checking more frequently once we start traveling. Thanks for the heads up.

Coops
Canada
Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #5

Maryland

Bike rack is one of the things we have been wanting to get figured out also, doesn't fit real well in back of Durango along with Kailah's big wheel especially.
Wakeisland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #6

British Columbia

Bruce...any thoughts of a bike roof rack for the Durango, or put the bikes in the trailer.( not the best option) I have similar concerns as Dave does, about the strenght of the TT rear bumper...just don't overload it.
My bike rack was inexpensive I bought all the stuff on sale. I have a roof rack system on the truck canopy...but that is a hassel taking the bikes on and off and the rack was expensive and besides we take a canoe. We did put the bikes in the back of the truck but that sucked because there was no room for all the other important and essential camping crap we carry :shock:
Good luck
Canada
Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
VIP Member

We have a similar receiver hitch added to our rear bumper for a Swagman, 2 bike, bike rack. I also added a stainless steel pad eye to the passenger(stbd) side rear corner of the trailer, drilling into the corner stud with big screws. I use a ratchet strap from the ladder on the driver (port) side of the trailer around the seat post of the furthest away from the trailer bike and then to that pad eye. It keeps things from moving around. 6,000 miles on this mod, so far, and seems to work good.
2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

Wyoming

Interesting thread, I've been following it with interest as I'm sure we will want to do something along these lines ourselves one day. Like Coops, we have a canoe and like the truck box for all the other stuff we need.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #9

British Columbia

There is a really cool bike rack that mounts on the front frame of the TT over the propane tanks..unable to find the web site at this time. I believe it is Canadian made ( isn't that a first) or made in Quebec. If memory serves it is a tad pricey. We will use what we have as long as the rear bumper holds.

Coops
Canada
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #10

I have a Yakima Swing Daddy 4-bike rack if anyone is interested in buying it. I no longer need as my TT has a rear cargo rack where we put the bikes. Apparently can hold up to 300 lbs.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

British Columbia

http://www.arvika.ca/

Here is the web site.
Canada
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #12

Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper
Bruce...any thoughts of a bike roof rack for the Durango, or put the bikes in the trailer.( not the best option) I have similar concerns as Dave does, about the strenght of the TT rear bumper...just don't overload it.
My bike rack was inexpensive I bought all the stuff on sale. I have a roof rack system on the truck canopy...but that is a hassel taking the bikes on and off and the rack was expensive and besides we take a canoe. We did put the bikes in the back of the truck but that sucked because there was no room for all the other important and essential camping crap we carry :shock:
Good luck
Cooper I hadn't thought about a roof rack, you got my gears turning again, lol. I would kinda like to get the weight put on the trailer end of things since our Durango bounces around when going down the road at times, and wife freaks out on me about it, lol, but like Dave mentioned, I have seen people put reviews up about their bumpers bending from bike racks, the bumper seems to be pretty heavy duty from looking at it, but I can't ignore what I'm hearing either, so I don't know. I am going to think about the roof rack idea for the Durango for awhile now. Thanks for the input ;-hap .
Wakeisland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #13

I think it is an interesting debate. Many people say the bumper isn't made to hold any weight, yet they hang a tire on it? Go figure.
However, the lippert frame has attachment points for a bolt on frame mounted hitch. It physically bolts to the frame.
According to Lippert and others, they say not to mount a bike rack to the bumper as, 4 bikes or so plus a tire is too much stress. I don't know, I see people do it all the time.
But if you wanted to be safe, you could call Lippert components and ask about the bolt on hitch they offer.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper
Welcome to the group....

We have a 3 bike Swagman...had it modified by welding the bike rack and receiver adapter together. Originally they were 2 separate units. They were connected by the trailer ball going through the holes. The receiver unit is a common TT bumper hitch type. I would only use it for a bike rack..wouldn't trust the TT bumper for any thing else. Not made heavy enough in my opinion for anything other than the spare tire and a bike rack. Had to move the spare tire and sewer hose carrier so I could centre the bike rack. When the bikes are installed I use bungee cords to stop the bikes from swinging back and forth. The bikes do not reduce the visibility of the signal, brake, nor tail lights. They rack sticks straight out the back a bit so a put flagging tape on the end of the rack so cars coming up can see it.

Here are some pics...hope this help

Thanks for joining the forum

Coops
Coops. This is just what i have been looking for Can't believe i haven't seen this before. Want to get a couple of Bikes hooked up for next year...

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio

I guess that is one reason I went to the Voltage. Plus I needed room for the Can-Am Spyder. I just never felt comfortable with bikes n the back of my trailers. I heard too many stories of them falling off. I just one almost laying on the ground 2 weeks ago but was able to tell them before they lst the bikes.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #16

I have a receiver installed on my rear bumper and I use a 3 bike Thule rack with goes into the 2 inch receiver. My dealer told that my bumper could take the spare and bikes without worry. My wife followed me in her car on our last trip to her working one of the days and she said the bikes did not bunch around that much. Just make sure to use bungee straps to hold the wheels because those quick release axles sometimes let go!

As for roof racks, my buddy pulls his Jay Father (23 footer) with a Nissan Pathfinder and he says that he sees a huge difference with the bikes on or off the truck! Sucks wayyyy more gas apparently!

I know most of us have trucks and could throw the bikes in the bed, but I find having them behind the trailer puts them out of the way and some weekends we end up not even using them so it saves the unloading when unnecessary! They apparently also make racks now that attach to the ladder??

The front mount racks over the propane thanks are nice however the are wayyyy over priced in my opinion!
Sebber83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #17

Wisconsin
Doc

Hey guys, check with your TT frame manufacturer. Many will void the warranty if anything is added.

That being said, if you do add one, install it from frame to frame. The 4" bumper welds are not strong enough. The last thing you want to see is your bikes on the road.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #18

Just wondering if there is enough framework on the back of trailer underneath to bolt on a class I or II hitch and then you have a system like on the back of a vehicle for the bikes. Has Anyone done this or know anything about it? My trailer is over 600 km from me so I can't look underneath to see...
Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #19

Some different bike hitches and racks from Lippert Componets...http://store.lci1.com/bike-racks--receivers-c75.aspx

http://www.etrailer.com/Specialty-Tr...urt/13703.html
Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #20

Alberta
How many bikes can you put on the cargo rack? We are waiting to complete a deal on a 311bh that has the rear rack. Just wondering if we need to weld a receiver like we did with the Triple E. That has worked great BTW.

Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote