behind the walls are......??? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Alabama
behind the walls are......???

Greetings ! Just purchased a 2006 31BH-DSL and am finding it would be helpful to have additional electrical outlets. I am afraid to start on this until I know what is behind most of the walls before I try to fish a wire from one point to another. I suspect there are 2"x2" studs but what type of insulation is in there to deal with ?

I can run the wire on the outside of the wall but prefer it to look better than that if possible.

My wife wants to add a small cabinet and wants to brace it on the wall so I don't know if some kind of anchor would work or if I can brace it on the 2x2 studs......

Also, it would be helpful to have some type of pic or graphic that shows the trailer without the interior walls if anyone knows where one like that may be. It would be helpful even if it is not the exact model, it would at least give me an idea of what to expect.

Any help or advice is appreciated

Huntsville, Alabama

bdsii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

Alabama
crickets in the forum :-)

Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

Oklahoma
I don't think you're going to find the information you're looking for. I don't think that even Dutchman will give you those drawings. There are a few different ways to locate the studs. The hammer tap method, a stud finder might work, and then you can also park it outside on a cool night with the heater running, and in the morning, the dew will show you where your studs are. As far as fishing wire through the wall, I have not had too much luck with that. I can tell you that some of the wiring runs under the trailer, and you might be able to work through those holes. You have to take the boards off of the bottom to access all that.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

British Columbia
As macman says, stud finder, tapping, or the dewy morning thing.

The only easy way to run new wiring in a camper is to find any openings under or behind cabinets that are close to the service panel and install them there.

Trying to run wires blind can be a problem, because there is no standard wire routing. You will find quite a few threads showing the ridiculous way that wires are just shoved into the nooks and crannies behind and under cabinets.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #5

Alabama
OK.....thanks guys. This may get interesting.....and if things go bad, where can I get replacement wallboard ? :-)
Old 06-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsii View Post
OK.....thanks guys. This may get interesting.....and if things go bad, where can I get replacement wallboard ? :-)
It's doubtful that you can get replacement panels through the dealer or manufacturer. If you can they will cost you a sockful of green.

Any big box lumber store will have per-finished light weight wall panels. Make sure that you are looking at the ply vs pressed wood panels.

To only problem is they probably won't have anything that matches the finish, so this is a great opportunity to plan ahead for where you want that feature wall.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

Alabama
thanks hddecker.....hope it won't come to that but you never know ! :-)
Old 06-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Hut

North Carolina
If you're a fiberglass skin, your walls are probably styrofoam. The reason you have so few outlets is because the styrofoam has to be routed out to run the wires. If you'll notice, there are no outlets in the exterior walls, just interior. There is no way to cleanly install extra outlets.
Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Alabama
thanks Hut :-)
Old 07-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #10

Idaho
All responses are good, but I have found if I don't know for sure what to do or can't get a drawing then I go to a shop that is familiar with your trailer and have them do the work.

In the long run and short run getting a professional to do the work is well worth the money spent. Then if something goes wrong they are the ones to stand behind their work.

Sometimes it is best to let the people do work that knows what they are doing and we can do what we know. Compare the value of doing it or having someone else do it. Dutchman will not give up any drawings, I already tried this angle.

Kenny
kennymill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymill View Post
. Dutchman will not give up any drawings, I already tried this angle.

Kenny

It's a secret or maybe they don't have any! By the looks of some of the work that could be a possibility .
Old 07-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
It's a secret or maybe they don't have any! By the looks of some of the work that could be a possibility .
Bang, the cigar goes to Camper.

If they had drawing then there would be uniformity if how they build their product.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Bang, the cigar goes to Camper.

If they had drawing then there would be uniformity if how they build their product.
Hey, hey now!!! Their work is uniform, uniformly screwed up
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymill View Post
All responses are good, but I have found if I don't know for sure what to do or can't get a drawing then I go to a shop that is familiar with your trailer and have them do the work.

In the long run and short run getting a professional to do the work is well worth the money spent. Then if something goes wrong they are the ones to stand behind their work.

Sometimes it is best to let the people do work that knows what they are doing and we can do what we know. Compare the value of doing it or having someone else do it. Dutchman will not give up any drawings, I already tried this angle.

Kenny
Good luck with THAT!

One of the reasons I do much of my own work. Nothing pisses me off more than to pay good money to have a "professional" do the work, then have to redo it or fight with them to make it right. FWIW I never take low bidder on any project.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Good luck with THAT!

One of the reasons I do much of my own work. Nothing pisses me off more than to pay good money to have a "professional" do the work, then have to redo it or fight with them to make it right. FWIW I never take low bidder on any project.

Aaron
Ain't that the truth. The number one reason I won't take my vehicles back the the dealer. If there is something that I have to farm out, I'll go to the small independent guys.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #16

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsii View Post
Greetings ! Just purchased a 2006 31BH-DSL and am finding it would be helpful to have additional electrical outlets. I am afraid to start on this until I know what is behind most of the walls before I try to fish a wire from one point to another. I suspect there are 2"x2" studs but what type of insulation is in there to deal with ?

I can run the wire on the outside of the wall but prefer it to look better than that if possible.

My wife wants to add a small cabinet and wants to brace it on the wall so I don't know if some kind of anchor would work or if I can brace it on the 2x2 studs......

Also, it would be helpful to have some type of pic or graphic that shows the trailer without the interior walls if anyone knows where one like that may be. It would be helpful even if it is not the exact model, it would at least give me an idea of what to expect.

Any help or advice is appreciated
Huntsville, Alabama
Have you considered using "wire mold". I believe it is a product stick built houses use to hide additional wiring in a home without breaching a wall. Found in most big box building supply stores like lowes, MENARDS, Home Depot or hardware stores.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #17

California
We had satellite radio and television installed in our Kodiak. The company that did it is an RV repair company. The installer told us that he had never seen such thick insulation in an RV before. He had a tough time pulling the wires through the thick stuff. Perhaps that is why the air conditioner will freeze you out of the trailer and the heater will roast you out. We had this done after the electrical problems started. So we know this installation has nothing to do with our rig constantly popping circuits.

birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote