beam sagging over slide - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

British Columbia
Cool beam sagging over slide

I have a 2008 Denali 31FG-DSL-BS.
I have had problems with the slide not lining up and not going all the way out and have a sag in the beam over the slide. This is a large super slide and I* noticed the AC is situated on the roof that the beam is carrying.
Has anyone had any problems with the roof beam sagging and if so was there a solution or factory help?
Im also curious as to the what material was used to build the beam, IE aluminum if anyone knows.

vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I gather what you are saying is the opening over the top of the slide is sagging due to the weight of the A/C unit that sits over the slide opening, therefore preventing the slide from extending completely.

Given the thickness of most of the ceilings in the RVs I would think the 'beam' isn't very heavy at all. The problem seems to be the incorrect location of the A/C causing this. I know, it obvious......

Without seeing the ceiing I would guess a relocation of the A/C, if possible, would be prudent. The sag then may be removed by replacing the sagging support material inside the ceiling, however that probably would require a removal of the slide entirely to gain access to the sagging material. Then there would be the problem of attaching the new support to the roof trusses. Or as a last ditch effort some sort of support material on top of the roof that is attached to the ceiling beam. This material would need to extend beyond the roof trusses for end support. Other than removing the slide, as I picture it, whatever goes on top of the rig will be a fix but it won't be pretty. However, this may be the only easy fix. The outside, on the roof would be my way to go if possible.

The rig is out of warranty so you will be on your own and probably looking at a wad of dollars to get it right.

This is a problem for sure and I'm sure the manufacturer won't be of any assistance to you.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

British Columbia
Yes the beam over the slide is failing. I am curious if anyone knows what that beam is made of, ie: aluminum truss or maybe microlam??
I,m sure the factory wont help but it would be nice to have the ability to talk to a factory rep to discuss the options.
I have heard that the beam maybe made of aluminum 2" x 2" tube and if thats the case there could be some welds that have let go.
I'm thinking a cable starting high on each end and running down to the lowest part of the beam at the 1/2 way point c/w a turn buckle could be a way to pick it up and hold it there. Knowing what the beam is made of would be very helpful.
vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #4

Florida
I know this is an old post, but maybe it will help someone in the future. I recently bought a used 2006 28F-DSL model rv. The previous owner just had a brand new roof membrane put on the main part of the rv, but didn't address the slideout roof. Turns out the roof on the slide had been leaking but there was no visible evidence of this on the inside of the slide when we bought it. So as I began to repair the slide roof I discovered that the main beam above our slide (which is 20' long) was also water damaged and had not been repaired when the new roof was put on the main part of the rv. The beam above my slide is a laminated wood beam, so there is a chance that your issue is not from the weight of the AC, but from hidden water damage that is causing wood rot. I am in the process of tearing mine out and replacing it. I am also replacing the roof on the slide and all the seals as well. I will try and post some pics of my repair so that it may help someone in the future.
westflgator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beam, roof, slide, super slide