Backup Camera Prep on brand new 2021 Coleman BH 214 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

Indiana
Backup Camera Prep on brand new 2021 Coleman BH 214

I concluded that the "backup camera prep" on my Coleman BH214 was a Furrion mounting bracket and proceeded to purchase a Furrion Vision S 4.3. As you can see in the picture, when I removed the 4 screws from the plate on the mounting bracket I found a green and white wires in a loop, when I was expecting to find a plug in for my new camera. Also, the camera did not appear to fit the bracket anyway. I couldn't get the holes to line up. I was flabbergasted. I had only owned the camper for 1 week, and Camping World, where I purchased the camper was absolutely no help. Anyway, I am trying to determine what type of bracket I have, what is that wire loop of the green and white wire, and what to do with it, and what model of camera will fit that bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1765 (1).jpg
Views:	311
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	6921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1749.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	6922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1752.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	6923  

maslagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #2

Florida
LOL, sorry---camping world strikes again!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:54 AM   #3

Nevada
Sorry to hear that, we also just purchased from CW a Coleman 242BHWE with the same bracket and also thought it was for the Furrion backup camera! Thanks for the heads up, if you figure it out could you please post info?
rscozzens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #4

Wisconsin
My 2018 Kodiak Cub came with a Furrion mounting. It had a plug and cable coiled inside. I cut the plug of and most of the cable and installed a Garmin camera. I made a simple adapter plate to mate mounting screws.

The white green wires are likely just + and - 12 volts from the running light circuit. Use your volt meter to check. Cut the plug off the Furrion and use automotive crimp connectors.

I don't think there are any signal wires in there. Many Furrion use a radio link to the display.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #5

Ohio
Man this is the exact same scenario I just found myself in. Everything I read online says our 2021 Coleman is prewired for furrion. So I purchased knock off camera system that comes with a bracket and plug adapter to connect to furrion systems. I go to install it and not only is my trailer not wired for anything, the bracket doesn't match either. Mine looks just like yours with the green and white wires only.
Mole644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:40 PM   #6

Washington
I installed the same camera on my TT. In the package that the camera came should have been a "pig tail" with two wires and a "socket" type plug. Connect the two wires and plug the camera in than stuff the wires into the hole in the TT. I rewired mine all the way to the front so that I could use the camera as a "rear view mirror." Works great.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlarson View Post
I installed the same camera on my TT. In the package that the camera came should have been a "pig tail" with two wires and a "socket" type plug. Connect the two wires and plug the camera in than stuff the wires into the hole in the TT. I rewired mine all the way to the front so that I could use the camera as a "rear view mirror." Works great.
I figured I just need to splice into the wires that are there (mine came with the pigtail), but that's hardly what I would call "being prewired".
Mole644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole644 View Post
I figured I just need to splice into the wires that are there (mine came with the pigtail), but that's hardly what I would call "being prewired".
As you are learning… the terms “prewired”, “solar ready”, and other gimmick phrases (like winter package) are simply marketing hype to get newbies to spend their money. In this case, prewired simply means you don’t have to fish wires through the walls yourself. Of course, even then, that doesn’t mean they’re connected correctly, or will work as they should.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #9

California
My Voltage actually had the correct connection and my Furion compatible after market camera plugged right in. Lucky me.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #10

Minnesota
Frustrating experience for a brand new camper. My Aerolite is "solar prepped" and has the "winter package", neither of which are readily verifiable or even necessary. My china-bomb tires were filled with nitrogen (tires were replaced one week after purchase with Goodyear Endurance.) Marketing hype. As for a camera, mine was not "prepped." Instead I bought a Hopkins Towing Solutions wireless camera and had it mounted at the shop when I had the trailer in for other service. The camera works well with my iPhone. The shop I took it to is now a Camping World. We will see how that goes.
Snowman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #11

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman53 View Post
Frustrating experience for a brand new camper. My Aerolite is "solar prepped" and has the "winter package", neither of which are readily verifiable or even necessary…
This reminds me of something I witnessed a couple weeks ago. While in a shop getting my brake issue repaired, I was seated in the customer lounge with a few others also having their rigs serviced. During the normal ‘what’s wrong with your rig’ conversation, one guy said the battery on his new rig died on the 3rd day he’s out & used it. Woke up the night before to the sound of his refrigerator beeping, signaling no power, and also had no lights when he got up to investigate. Figures there’s gotta be something wrong with the solar package not keeping up with the recharging duties.

On hearing him say that, my suspicion immediately arose. He said “battery”… not “batteries”, as solar units usually have more than one.

About an hour later, the service dept. mgr. walks over to him and says… “Well, we found your issue. You don’t have solar on your rig.” The guy says, “What do you mean… it says right on the side by the door, SOLAR READY.” The manager says “The tech climbed the ladder, and there’s no solar panels up there… nor have any ever been installed.”

So basically, this guy bought a rig that he thought he could go boondocking in, without actually verifying that it was capable of it. He said he recalled not seeing any big solar panels on the roof, but just figured that modern technology had made them smaller & not readily visible. Then he said that he couldn’t wait to get back home, and have a “good talk” (his words) with the salesman. (for all the good that will do… Ha!)

Personally, I would’ve loved to been a fly on the wall to see that… the pissed off customer who didn’t do his homework, vs. the smiling salesman who’s already got his money, and earned his commission.

Most all of us were newbies to the RV world at one point… but there have been so many flooding the market in the past 2-3 years that many of the manufacturers, dealers, and salesmen are taking full advantage of their naïveté.

Buyer Beware….
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #12

New York
Yeah i just purchased a coleman 2515 lantern and it also was pre wired for a backup camera,camping world installed the camera and its always on,called them and asked them about it they told me to unhook my truck to turn it off because they are wired i to my marker lights...i said well my truck is in the garage and the trailer is on the side of the house sooo its not hooked up i said ots wired to a 12v battery line take a guess what they told me...go on you tube to figure it out!!!gotta be kidding me

70maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup camera prep