Awnings and sun - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Utah
Awnings and sun

Met a couple today who insisted that the rolled up/retracted awning should be protected from sun. They claim that UV rays will quickly disintegrate the awning material. They use a half PVC pipe to cover it between trips.

Was curious to know the consensus of this group. Do you do this? Thoughts?

I can totally see me forgetting to remove the pipe before a trip and losing it on the road. :|

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #2

Illinois
Doesn't degrade "quickly" but will break down. Most RV's now come with an option that has an aluminum wrap as they close. If I didn't have that, I'd take some 303 and wipe down the outer roll a few times a summer.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_family View Post
Met a couple today who insisted that the rolled up/retracted awning should be protected from sun. They claim that UV rays will quickly disintegrate the awning material. They use a half PVC pipe to cover it between trips.

Was curious to know the consensus of this group. Do you do this? Thoughts?

I can totally see me forgetting to remove the pipe before a trip and losing it on the road. :|

Well the sun's rays have been known to "deteriorate" stuff. Check out your lawn furniture or umbrellas. Or anything else you leave outside.

The answer is always a matter of "degrees". To what degree do I care and what am I going to gain.
I am retired, so I can afford to do possibly needless stuff haha.

Can you?

Have fun!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #4

Oklahoma
All I can say is my two awnings have been exposed to various levels of UVs and I haven't noticed any problems, yet.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #5

Wyoming
Mine is beginning to show signs after 9 years. We live on the west coast of Canada. I would expect southern units will show it sooner.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
And there are some that will roll them up when it rains...

Yes, UV will degrade them over time. Depending on where you live and how long it is out will determine that.

Using something like 303 is a good idea to extend the life of it. Most of the vinyl ones have a heavier panel at the top to help with the UV exposure.

To me, awnings were meant to be used as both sunshades and rain shades.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Aaron
Amen to that. I couldn't camp without an awning, it's the first thing to go out when we park and the last thing to get put up when we go. I stay outside 90% of the time and only come in when the wind blows these Tennessee downpours way under the awning.

Someone parked across from us this weekend with a new Coleman that had the exact make and color awning, ours looked a little lighter in color (black and grey) and the edges were a little droopier from stretching, but after 5 years it still looks great. I will gladly pay the $200 for the replacement fabric when it's time.

People that park their RV's outside 100% of the time and worry more about their awing than their roof should be dismissed immediately.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
And there are some that will roll them up when it rains...

Yes, UV will degrade them over time. Depending on where you live and how long it is out will determine that.

Using something like 303 is a good idea to extend the life of it. Most of the vinyl ones have a heavier panel at the top to help with the UV exposure.

Aaron
I have a Kodiak cub with an electric awning. I decided to leave it extended during a rain storm. The wind folded it up more than once before I got it rolled up properly. It made lots of slamming noises and I had to go out into the rain to re-extend the arms so it would roll up properly.

I hope yours works better than mine.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #9

Arizona
In southern Arizona, the sun is brutal and the awning material can dry out and crack and the stitching falls apart in just a few years. I'll probably add a metal cover to mine when that happens...
Datapanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datapanic View Post
In southern Arizona, the sun is brutal and the awning material can dry out and crack and the stitching falls apart in just a few years. I'll probably add a metal cover to mine when that happens...
That's why you invest in a bottle of 303. It's a pain, but it will greatly prolong the life of your awning
Old 07-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
That's why you invest in a bottle of 303. It's a pain, but it will greatly prolong the life of your awning

Thanks - I'll try it out. Looks like it will help protect other things too. Will just have to wait and see how well it works in triple digit temps and direct sunlight all day long.
Datapanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #12

Oregon
What kind of 303? Would a gallon be a good investment for a 25’ TT? Can it also be used on the exterior gel coat? tires? How do you apply to the top surface of the awnings?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:00 AM   #13

Arizona
I live in AZ. and the sun destroys fabric in a few years. I cut a PVC pipe down the middle and strapped it to the top of the awning. Removing the cover before traveling is now on my 41 item Departing Check List. I also have an Arrival Check List.
Guy Lombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:31 AM   #14

California
The awning fabrics are not sunbrella quality. Here in the wine county they use “grow tubes” for newly planted vines to protect them from the sun. They come 30” long, are uv resistant and are split down the side. They look like a plastic cardboard tube. I can install them on our awning in about 5 minutes (over lap them 2”) to give full protection. It takes 7 to cover our 19’ awning. They run about $2 each. It’s our way to get the best life out of the fabric. Of course we still use a spray protecterant.
grapeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
What kind of 303? Would a gallon be a good investment for a 25’ TT? Can it also be used on the exterior gel coat? tires? How do you apply to the top surface of the awnings?
I use this. I roll my awning out 18 inches or so at a time and get up on a step ladder. It's great for RV tires, mine would rot before the tread wears down. Some here do use it on the gelcoat, I haven't tried it. I put it on all plastic vent covers, fender skirts and slide seals, it keeps the rubber pliable. The gallon jug is definitely a great deal.

It also works great for truck dashboards, keeps the sun from fading them. I even put it on my headlight covers, keeps them from yellowing. It's not super glossy or slick after application like some products are.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I have a Kodiak cub with an electric awning. I decided to leave it extended during a rain storm. The wind folded it up more than once before I got it rolled up properly. It made lots of slamming noises and I had to go out into the rain to re-extend the arms so it would roll up properly.

I hope yours works better than mine.
It does. However it has been modified by adding a set of swing down tie down poles. I will have to dig up some pictures. The old style manual awnings could be strapped down and were capable of handling 40+mph winds. Sometimes new and improved ain't.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #17

Illinois
Agreed.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #18

Utah
What is 303?

What is this magical 303 that you all speak about? And where do I get it? It sounds life changing
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
What is this magical 303 that you all speak about? And where do I get it? It sounds life changing
303 on your Awnings and Rejex on you front cap and your life is changed, for the better!

If you scroll back up to wildest's post #15 and click on "I use this" it will take you to Amazon.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #20

Utah
I didn’t even notice the blue writing !!!! Thanks for the info, I’ll order it now.

Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote