Aspen Trail Dinette issue - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Florida
Aspen Trail Dinette issue

This past weekend we winterized the ole girl and I noticed the back support for the dinette on both sides was loose. We have had our trailer for a little over three years now and use it a lot! I tried to tighten the screws holding the back supports of the dinette to the walls and found the screws were not into studs on either side. The screws have, somehow, held up to three years, only screwed into the thin cardboard(or whatever it is) wall. I took everything apart and found the studs are 5 inches away at the front and 6 inches away at the back. I wish I would have taken photos, as I know this post may be confusing.

So my question is, has anyone else had this issue? Any quick fixes anyone has come up with? It has taken three years, but that Dutchman quality is starting to show, haha.

Thanks for any help!

Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Idaho
Mine only has one back support and it's after you make it down into a bed. After the first use the bracket fell off the wall, it was only into the wallboard as well. Since it was still under warranty the dealer fixed it. I believe they used an anchor in the wall, similar to sheetrock in your house. Haven't used it since, however, I did check it the other day and it's on there tight. So you might try some of those simple plastic anchors to fix it.

RickNTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #3

Maryland
I've had similar problems with my old 2002 Layton Scout 310... I was trying to decide if I wanted to place a 1"x2" board on wall to act as reinforcement, use anchor bolts (as suggested by RickNTee), or just install a second pedestal. I ended up going with a second pedestal. After fixing that, we had the trailer for 5 more years before we traded it in on our Kodiak.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of using the plastic drywall anchors, but I just can't see them holding up since the wall material is so thin. I'll give that a shot, as I have a bunch of those laying around. My next option is to convert the dinette into a sofa as we rarely use the dinette anyway.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote