Aspen Trail 3010BHDS: Sealing the roof? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

Michigan
Aspen Trail 3010BHDS: Sealing the roof?

Hello everyone.

This is our first "Grown up" camper, and we're looking at winterizing. How crucial is it to have the roof sealed? We bought the camper new off the lot last winter. How much should I expect to spend to have the dealer do it?

ypsiAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ypsiAspen View Post
Hello everyone.

This is our first "Grown up" camper, and we're looking at winterizing. How crucial is it to have the roof sealed? We bought the camper new off the lot last winter. How much should I expect to spend to have the dealer do it?
What are you referring to when you say "roof sealed"?

Your manuals should have the literature from the roof manufactuer in it.

It should give you the OEM requirements for your particular roof material. Some roof membrane manufactuers web sites have some pretty detailed videos for your viewing pleasure.

Roof maintenance is not difficult, most want to be washed a few times a year and the seams checked, any new cracks that may be starting should be cleaned and resealed with self leveling sealant on the flat of the roof and anything on the vertical surfaces with nonself leveling sealant.

Be careful of any cleaning products that contain petroleum distilates in them, they can cause the membrane to swell and fail. (you will hear some folks say you should use paint thinner. I would do that if they would pay for my roof when it fails and it will)

I spoke with a Dicor Rep and he told me that I would be OK using my goto cleaner. Super Green concentrate that I dilute for the job at hand, to clean the roof. A gallon of concentrate costs me the same as Dicor's 32 oz spray bottle.

The only thing that I cover on my rig is the AC, just keeps the leaves, needles and twigs out of it and I don't have to take to shroud off to clean it in the spring.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Michigan
I guess I should say that I'm referring to caulking the seams, but the more I read, I can have Camping World inspect it when we take it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
What are you referring to when you say "roof sealed"?

Your manuals should have the literature from the roof manufactuer in it.

It should give you the OEM requirements for your particular roof material. Some roof membrane manufactuers web sites have some pretty detailed videos for your viewing pleasure.

Roof maintenance is not difficult, most want to be washed a few times a year and the seams checked, any new cracks that may be starting should be cleaned and resealed with self leveling sealant on the flat of the roof and anything on the vertical surfaces with nonself leveling sealant.

Be careful of any cleaning products that contain petroleum distilates in them, they can cause the membrane to swell and fail. (you will hear some folks say you should use paint thinner. I would do that if they would pay for my roof when it fails and it will)

I spoke with a Dicor Rep and he told me that I would be OK using my goto cleaner. Super Green concentrate that I dilute for the job at hand, to clean the roof. A gallon of concentrate costs me the same as Dicor's 32 oz spray bottle.

The only thing that I cover on my rig is the AC, just keeps the leaves, needles and twigs out of it and I don't have to take to shroud off to clean it in the spring.
ypsiAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
I guess I should say that I'm referring to caulking the seams, but the more I read, I can have Camping World inspect it when we take it in.
It really isn't as complicated as it sounds. It takes longer to explain it than do it.

It's not the kind of simple job that I would let a dealer do at the labour rates they charge.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

California
If it's a new unit roof seams shouldn't need to be caulked. I recauked the roof on my 2003 Teton a couple of months ago. First time in 12 years it has been done. Took under a hour.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Most RV places have a free courtesy inspection that includes the roof if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. I've never had them give me a false report and then try and sell me a roof repair. If you go that route give them your cell phone, or camera, and nicely ask them to take a picture if they see an issue. Of course if there is a problem they would like to fix it for you but you are not obligated to have them fix it. You can always take it somewhere else for the repair or do it your self.

DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote