Adding a Cable Jack - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #1

Ohio
Adding a Cable Jack

I hope I have this question in the right spot??
I have a 2014 Dutchmen 282RBS and I would like to add a cable jack to my outdoor kitchen. The cable for the interior TV is behind the stereo unit and I don't know if it would even be possible to get another jack to the outside kitchen, let alone how the coaxial cable would be run to the rear of the trailer. Any thoughts/suggestions or am I wasting my time even thinking about this??
Attached Images

Cidco93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:09 PM   #2

California
There's lots of ways to run wires, just depends how much you want to explore wire paths. Find where the the wires for the lighting or refrigerator run and pull the wires through there. You could even run under the trailer and come up through the floor of the outdoor kitchen somewhere. There's always a way.

2012 RAM 3500 6.7l DSL 4x4 DRW 4:10 gears Max Tow. Stockish w/tuned transmission.
1999 Dodge 2500 5.9l DSL 4x4 8" Fabricated 5 link 12" long travel coil over conversion.
Eric H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:13 AM   #3

Ohio
I thought about coming through the floor of the outdoor kitchen and where the splitter connection would need to be, but my concern there, is not knowing where existing wiring is at and possibly hitting wires with the drill bit. Once old man winter is out of here, I will take a really good look at it and see what I can do.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:08 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidco93 View Post
I hope I have this question in the right spot??
I have a 2014 Dutchmen 282RBS and I would like to add a cable jack to my outdoor kitchen. The cable for the interior TV is behind the stereo unit and I don't know if it would even be possible to get another jack to the outside kitchen, let alone how the coaxial cable would be run to the rear of the trailer. Any thoughts/suggestions or am I wasting my time even thinking about this??
I looked at your floor plan and interior online. It looks like your main service panel on the inside is on the bedroom wall with the TV and stereo and all of the appliances are on the wall next to the outdoor kitchen. The has to be a wiring harness running from the panel to all of the appliances including the outdoor kitchen. When I say harness, I mean a rats nest of wires lumped together in the direction of all the appliances lol. You may have to move an appliance or pull out some drawers to see the mess of wires but that would be my bet.
2012 RAM 3500 6.7l DSL 4x4 DRW 4:10 gears Max Tow. Stockish w/tuned transmission.
1999 Dodge 2500 5.9l DSL 4x4 8" Fabricated 5 link 12" long travel coil over conversion.
Eric H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
I looked at your floor plan and interior online. It looks like your main service panel on the inside is on the bedroom wall with the TV and stereo and all of the appliances are on the wall next to the outdoor kitchen. The has to be a wiring harness running from the panel to all of the appliances including the outdoor kitchen. When I say harness, I mean a rats nest of wires lumped together in the direction of all the appliances lol. You may have to move an appliance or pull out some drawers to see the mess of wires but that would be my bet.
Yep, all the appliances are all on the one side of my camper and it's my guess, that most of wiring is sandwiched somewhere in the flooring. As for the TV/Stereo stand, I did pull the stereo unit out and the wires goes through a small hole on the right side of the unit, aside from going up and down, I can't tell where they go from that point as I can't get in close enough to see into that little hole. Needless to say, this adventure is going to be challenge.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:56 PM   #6

Florida
Have you picked a spot to mount the jack yet? Which jack will you use, an RV outside jack (with a cover) or a regular faceplate?

It looks like you have your entertainment center at the foot of your bed so most likely, the wires are coming from below. Is the bottom of your RV insulated?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Have you picked a spot to mount the jack yet? Which jack will you use, an RV outside jack (with a cover) or a regular faceplate?

It looks like you have your entertainment center at the foot of your bed so most likely, the wires are coming from below. Is the bottom of your RV insulated?
The cupboard above the sink I don't use for anything, so to me, that's the ideal place for the TV. I'd have to cut little holes inside the cupboards for power and cable. So just a regular (indoor) faceplate jack, not an outdoor jack. If I were to come up from the underneath side of the outdoor kitchen under the counter, I'm "thinking" I could mount the jack on the left side next to the pullout stove, it would be tight but there's room there and it would close to outlet for the TV. Ideally I would like the jack in one of the cupboards (out of the way), but the wall that cupboards are mounted to, is quite thin, so probably wouldn't be able to mount there.
As for the bottom of my camper being insulated, I would have to say no. There's a lining between the frame and flooring. Not sure what it is, probably some type of water barrier but I don't think it's insulation.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #8

Florida
In my experience, there is space between the indoor paneling and the outside wall, that is between the beams-but not much.

Some of the folks here have recommended stud finders to attempt to find the vertical beams to try to mount tv’s but I have not tried it to find out.

You should be able to run wires between the inside and outside wall. The hardest part, in my mind, would be the running of wires from the main tv to the secondary tv and getting to that space from the bottom will be very challenging.

Did your rv come with an option for a tv in that area? If so, the wires may be there or at least a pathway.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
In my experience, there is space between the indoor paneling and the outside wall, that is between the beams-but not much.

Some of the folks here have recommended stud finders to attempt to find the vertical beams to try to mount tv’s but I have not tried it to find out.

You should be able to run wires between the inside and outside wall. The hardest part, in my mind, would be the running of wires from the main tv to the secondary tv and getting to that space from the bottom will be very challenging.

Did your rv come with an option for a tv in that area? If so, the wires may be there or at least a pathway.
You are correct. Getting the cable from the main TV to the 2nd one will be the hardest part!

My camper did not come pre-wired for a 2nd TV. Needless to say, RV's newer than mine, have that option either in the outdoor kitchen and/or somewhere on the outside of the RV.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but it would be nice to have the 2nd one when I'm outside chillin' & grillin' and there's something good on the tube.

Thank you for the ideas though, I will keep them in mind! Now I just need old man winter to get out of here so I can get busy. Got a couple renovations to finish on my camper, then get busy on the cable challenge.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidco93 View Post
You are correct. Getting the cable from the main TV to the 2nd one will be the hardest part!

My camper did not come pre-wired for a 2nd TV. Needless to say, RV's newer than mine, have that option either in the outdoor kitchen and/or somewhere on the outside of the RV.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV, but it would be nice to have the 2nd one when I'm outside chillin' & grillin' and there's something good on the tube.

Thank you for the ideas though, I will keep them in mind! Now I just need old man winter to get out of here so I can get busy. Got a couple renovations to finish on my camper, then get busy on the cable challenge.
Maybe your only option (easiest at least) is to add a splitter outside (at the entry to the RV) and throw the cable underneath!
Old 02-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #11

Ohio
Quote:
Maybe your only option (easiest at least) is to add a splitter outside (at the entry to the RV) and throw the cable underneath!
That's a possibility too.