AC freezeing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #1

Maryland
AC freezeing

2021 Dutchmen Aspen trail 29bh
AC freezes up if I switch over to the room vents from blowing straight down. Any ideas this is a brand new camper first time out and second time out does the same thing. AC runs fine unless I slide the vent over to force the air flow thru the room vents. Any ideas

Mouse4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:15 AM   #2

Florida
Are the room vents working? Ordinarily it means that you are low on refrigerant if it freezes up.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:18 AM   #3

Maryland
Yes they start blowing out pretty good when you slide the main vent over right on the unit. This whole camper is brand new so it shouldn't be low on charge I wouldn't think. It won't freeze up if I leave the main vent open
Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 AM   #4

Wisconsin
Low refrigerant - poor manufacturing?

worn or incorrect internal bleed
blocked air flow
reduced air flow - poor manufacturing or design
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
RDJ

Washington
My A/C was freezing up with no air flow at all from new. The cooling coil was full of ice and not defrosting on its own, took cover off and found the frost sensor was dislodged from the coils, works as it should now
RDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #6

Maryland
I will have to check that out. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #7

Arizona
bought in 2015, we did not get to break it in until a 2 month stint in CT in 2017,, mine would frost up during the day if put on vents, I moved my thermo couple in the evap coil, up alittle away from the frost,, but it never frosted up when just blowing out of unit,,, got to looking and the vents out into the roof area are about 1 inch framing,, so the unit doesnt have enough airflow to keep from ftosting up, dont know if mine is low, when I did room AC throughout my years of college, for an appliance store, frosting up usually ment low freon, but AC units on these from what I see only dump 20-25 degrees colder air than ambient and mine has been running fine for 5 years except for electrical wiring on top of compressor melting... I think it is a design problem and the manufacturer certainly do not care, I wish I had gotten more than one unit, but I do open my roof vents a tiny bit to release the heat, good luck, if you are under warranty, call it in,, no sense waiting. I only have problems in the high humidity,, not in my home town of Tucson.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #8

Maryland
Yea I called it in and they are supposed to be figuring it out. Dometic is the unit brand and the thermostat is on the wall. See what happens I can bet it is lack of airflow thru the vents but you would almost thing with the amount of trailers that go out this would be a big issue if that was it with alot of complaints.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #9

Arizona
at some point, there was a pdf or image on here that showed my AC ducting, was an H and two legs went no where, no ducting etc,, then the Ac wires through the duct and also vent pipe, goes through the duct, no sealant at all, my wall behind the TV was cold, with limited air flow,, after being on here 5 years and owning mine that long,, wish I had not been talked into it by my wife, who doesnt drive truck and rig,, so it is all me,, I expand foamed the two legs that did nothing, and retaped inside of AC unit and ducting I could reach,, people feel cold air at light fixtures etc,,, unreal, but not high paid workers, so
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:08 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
AC freezing

I had issues with mibe when new and solved it by taking the cover off of the unit and revealing the two chambers. It was not sealed well. The other part of the fix was to fix the sealing tape on the two output branches. They weren't completely open so I cut the corners, pressed the tape down then taped over it with gorilla tape. The unit hasn't so much a dripped since then and works much better. Good luck
Draggin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:14 AM   #11

Maryland
So i let the warranty do it's thing. Called a service center and they came out. Dometic covered the whole visit, was told that the defrost sensor was not installed into the coils and was just hanging, also the duct that the fan blows into was not tight and was allowing air to blow around the edges, and also some membrane was covering the duct passage to the vents so they tried that up. The unit has 3 times as much sir flow thru the vents now to the point they blew a bunch of saw dust and construction debree out when we fired it up. Hopefully that was the problem with lack of airflow. We will see the next time we go to the camper for a weekend.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
RDJ

Washington
Sounds to me the hit the nail on the head, good luck and safe travels
RDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #13

Maryland
Fingers crossed , the lack of quality control anymore is crazy I think.