275BH Is junk. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

New Jersey
Thumbs up 275BH Is junk.

Purchased a 2014 275BH in June. It has had issue after issue and even more issues. The latest....we noticed insulation hanging down off the front of the camper. My husband went under the front of the camper and found the entire front WAS NEVER SEALED OR ATTACHED TO THE FRAME. IT'S COMPLETELY SEPARATED. Add this to the LIVE WIRE FOUND IN THE LEAKING AIR CONDITIONER. This is a dangerous unit and I am now terrified to out my family in it. What if the front end falls completely off? This unit has only be DRIVEN 75 MILES!!!

The dealers service guy told me, "you better learn to relax". Really? Maybe because it was my money that was spent on this junk and not his.

What recourse do I have with this piece of junk?

notahappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #2

It it repaired is one recourse.. the other is trade it in on something else. Mine stays in the shop also repairing broken stuff almost after every trip. Its in there now as I write. Oh buy an extended warranty.. That also helps.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #3

New Jersey
We refuse to dump another dime on this piece of garbage and that includes money for an extended warranty. It really is sad what junk is being put out there. I for one believe the DOT should regulate what comes out of these manufacturers. I've heard too many stories of bad axels, lies about weights, etc. It needs to be more about consumer safety. If I'm driving down the highway and the front of this camper falls off because it was never attached properly, it becomes my problem and it shouldn't.
notahappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #4

Wyoming
What's the Lemon Law in NJ? You may have some recourse there.

Also you may wanna look into at least consulting an attorney.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #5

I would start with the NJ Attorney General's office and also see if NJ has a consumer affairs department as they can bring pressure. What does the dealer say and what have they done to fix these defects. Did you do a complete PDI before accepting delivery? A lot of these kinds of issues should show up during that process.
BigBoyjack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #6

British Columbia
sounds like ours came off the same assembly line. ours brakes down everytime we go out in it as well. we tried the lemon law in canada but to no avail
MrCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #7

Arizona
I get tired of these types of threads and question their authenticity. Four months ago the OP joined this forum, made two slam posts, made up a very negative screen name, and then disappears - all in one day. OP hasn't made any further posts and has contributed nothing to this forum since then. Does the OP only want to vent and not listen to any advice from members? Or does the OP want to submarine a product? Perhaps threads like this, with no further response or forum activity from the OP, should be deleted after a period of time.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I get tired of these types of threads and question their authenticity. Four months ago the OP joined this forum, made two slam posts, made up a very negative screen name, and then disappears - all in one day. OP hasn't made any further posts and has contributed nothing to this forum since then. Does the OP only want to vent and not listen to any advice from members? Or does the OP want to submarine a product? Perhaps threads like this, with no further response or forum activity from the OP, should be deleted after a period of time.
Agree, bought in June as junk then complain in Dec. & then nothing sense.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #9

British Columbia
well no idea on their circumstances but we bought our trailer and didnt use it for two months as well but my dutchmen trailr is junk. we had to call the rep in from seattle to help us out and even at that they were hard to deal with. its pretty sad when a dealer and manufactor wont stand by what they build and sell

Maybe in a year or two all the bugs will be worked out(I hope so anyways)
MrCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
With ya on the delete! For reasons you stated.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #11

Colorado
We LOVE our Kodiak

I'll chime in from the other side. We've had our 240BHSL for almost a year now. We had a few issues over the first 3 or 4 months but all were taken care of and our camper is great. And we use the HECK out of it. I would guess we have 8K miles plus on it towing.
I've seen this on other forums as well. A person joins just to rip on a product then goes away.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
Hut

North Carolina
Not trying to submarine anything or anybody, but my previous trailer (Jayflight) didn't have near the issues we've had with the Kodiak.... I've been amazed at some of the things QC missed before it was delivered.

Positives: we love the floor plan, it's light, and it's cute.

Negatives: delamination, heat/air is pitiful, horrendous manufacturer response.

Just the facts, Jack!
Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #13

Utah
We have had our 276bhsl for a little over a year now and absolutely love it. The floor plan is top notch and no major problems so far. Here's my take on trailers. .... if you are person that needs to call someone to fix your sprinklers or patch a hole in the wall at your house because you don't know how to fix..... you are going to have a rough time. My suggestion is stay in a condo next to a pool and a really nice restaurant.
bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Hut

North Carolina
Suggestion noted.... I'll promise you, I'm as handy as the next. But I don't appreciate buying something new and it having problems they're not interested in taking care of. I could've kept my Jayflight.
Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 AM   #15

South Carolina
Great Response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs slc View Post
if you are person that needs to call someone to fix your sprinklers or patch a hole in the wall at your house because you don't know how to fix..... you are going to have a rough time. My suggestion is stay in a condo next to a pool and a really nice restaurant.
Great quote! I'm going to use it! Most RV'rs are tinkerers, whether it be a large motorhome or a pop up. You need those basic fix-it, McGiver-type skills. Who here doesn't carry a tool kit, a voltmeter/test light, and duct tape?
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #16

Florida
I agree with needing to be handy at fixing some things and all but if the unit is brand new its up to the manufacturer and their dealers to deliver a quality product. We are grateful we had the sense of purchasing an extended warranty and the new dealer we are using is absolutely top of the line !!! America Choice RV in Ocala, Florida has the best service department. Only regret, we did not buy our Kodia from them. It was purchased in May 2013 and we had issues (major) with the a/c until replaced under original warranty. Thanks Theresa and Randy !!! The slider window leaked something awful during a dollop of a storm and it is once again back in the good hands of the service dept. Praying this is it.

We asked for compensation for the month of June as we paid the park up front for a three month stay and had to take it in for service the first weekend as the ac did not work even though it was supposedly replaced by prior dealer but of course, after numerous emails back in forth with Candy from owner relations of Keystone, manager "denied the request". Will keep this unit for as long as the extended warranty but would never buy a product from Thor Industries ever again.

Wish there were laws in place to protect the consumer against these con artists. Not being regulated is one of the worst things we have going for us as consumers.

Love camping and RVing .... hate to have had two summer with bad memories. Will shoot again for later this year....
Isa and Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #17

British Columbia
I agree, with the lack of any regulations they put out what ever they send of the line, with out regard for the end user.

Some of the wiring I have fixed was down right dangerous, 120V wires pinched when appliances were installed, mar connectors not secured properly. If this was a house the electrical inspector would have condemned it.

Yes I know if you want to use your camper you got to learn to fix it. But it still fries my backside that I have to fix it, when i'm supposed to be enjoying life.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote