2340 BH Towing issue—is this normal?!? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2021, 01:17 AM   #1

Nevada
2340 BH Towing issue—is this normal?!?

https://youtu.be/JqCbyEnZNr4

Front bulkhead significantly deforms while towing above 45.....I’m worried about structural issues. It’s a 2021 and still under warranty. Have towed it about 2000 miles.

ElliottsWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #2

Montana
Yep, I have noticed the same issue. The older models had the "normal" slatted metal front ends like I had on a smaller 2018 TT. That is structurally more "sound" than the nice clean fronts on these new ones, but likely detracts from mpg's. I pushed in on it and there is a sound solid surface underneath at about 2 inches it feels like. I'm wondering if low expansion foam might be a way to address this. I will be taking it back in the winter for my first year warranty issues and see what they will do. since it pops back to looking normal upon stopping, from their perspective, what is there to fix?

Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #3

Nevada
I’ve talked with a couple of dealers about it and everyone seems to be saying it’s “normal.” We love the camper enough that we aren’t getting rid of it, so we’re trying to get Keystone to put it in writing that its normal and then if it fails 5 years on we would be able to prove we brought it up during the warranty period at least.

This is our 3rd travel trailer but first with the smooth front surface and no windows (reinforcements around the window frame buys a lot of stiffness I think) so we’ll just keep on trucking and see what happens down the road.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #4

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsWest View Post
I’ve talked with a couple of dealers about it and everyone seems to be saying it’s “normal.” We love the camper enough that we aren’t getting rid of it, so we’re trying to get Keystone to put it in writing that its normal and then if it fails 5 years on we would be able to prove we brought it up during the warranty period at least.

This is our 3rd travel trailer but first with the smooth front surface and no windows (reinforcements around the window frame buys a lot of stiffness I think) so we’ll just keep on trucking and see what happens down the road.
Same here. I'm keeping an eye on the caulking just to the edges of where it is pushing in on the corners. It would seem that area might have more movement impacting caulk adhesion. So, I'm watching that. And, How have your "graphics" decals held up. Ours aren't doing too well, I will have an Apen Tral here soon... We also love the floor plan. She had her list of "requirements" and I had mine. My core was length. Hers was the private bedroom and "full" bunks. The outdoor kitchen was not required but we both wanted. This is, I believe the shortest meeting all those requirements by about a foot. She had been talking about a fifth wheel and I didn't want one. After 18 days in it she has now said this seems to meet her needs as it checks all her boxes. We love it.

I did put a new "suspension" (Road Armor) on mine as I drive quite a few national forest miles hitting some "hidden gems" Nat Forest campgrounds here in MT. It's nice but not inexpensive, but the inside sure shows it after a drive with everything still where it should be. There are decent less expensive ones. They supposedly result in less wear and tear on the "structure" over time. If you drive nothing but highway, no need really.

And how do you like all the access under the sink...you can't get to? I did another post where I put a door in on the backside of the sink. https://www.dutchmenowners.org/forum...mods-9040.html IT was very easy with no cutting except the door itself as the "luan" panel pops off. It has been a godsend for storage.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Quote:

I have had some experience with the Keystone warranty department. I expect they will ignore your request for a letter and decline to do anything about it now. Even if you got a letter, they will refuse warranty after the standard period expires.

In most states, there is no lemon law for travel trailers and often RV's in general are excluded. There is no Federal lemon law for RV's.

Keystone buyer's beware!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #6

Nevada
After we got back I went to our local RV dealer....they forwarded it up to Keystone. Keystone rep said this much flex is excessive and they have scheduled me for warranty work to fix it....hoping the fix doesn’t create more problems than the issue, but for the record they did say this was too much flex.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Montana
Quote:
After we got back I went to our local RV dealer....they forwarded it up to Keystone. Keystone rep said this much flex is excessive and they have scheduled me for warranty work to fix it....hoping the fix doesn’t create more problems than the issue, but for the record they did say this was too much flex.
Thank you very much. How did they figure out the flex was "too much?" Did you take pics at speed? Did they push it in (like I did)?

This will be at the top of the list of warranty work at the end of summer. AND, how are they going to fix it? Please let us know... This looks like a biggie...
Old 06-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #8

Nevada
I put a link to the video my son and I took while towing at 50 to 60 miles an hour in the original post (looks like you’ll have to copy and paste).

Our local dealer is going to take the nose cap off and add additional bracing in the front. When it gets repaired I’ll share the the “after” video too. I’m a little apprehensive because they’re going to have to take off the whole front piece, but the service department seems to know what they’re doing so hopefully the repair won’t make the situation worse.

I shared the video with the service department who shared it with Keystone. They got right back to us.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
I put a link to the video my son and I took while towing at 50 to 60 miles an hour in the original post (looks like you’ll have to copy and paste).

Our local dealer is going to take the nose cap off and add additional bracing in the front. When it gets repaired I’ll share the the “after” video too. I’m a little apprehensive because they’re going to have to take off the whole front piece, but the service department seems to know what they’re doing so hopefully the repair won’t make the situation worse.

I shared the video with the service department who shared it with Keystone. They got right back to us.
make sure you check it well before you take delivery on it from the service department. If it's c_W, they barely hire folks that can walk.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #10

Nevada
Not C____W____, local RV company that’s been in business with the same family for over 30 years. Part of why I bought there was because of reputation and the experience I had with them with our first camper. We got it used from the 2nd owners and they had been the original sellers but hadn’t worked on it for 4-5 years. We took it several places for general work and repair (it was a 2001 so we had to fix some things). Once I found them, they always did better work that other places I had taken it to.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #11

Montana
I saw one coming down the road the other day doing the same thing as mine and others mentioned here. Sounds like a design problem.

Anyone noticed how Dutchmen keeps changing the outside of these units. I've seen like three separate exterior sticker designs over this single year. In addition, I've seen a few with a black front vs the more "gold" one. What's that all about. I'm thinking the black front might make the "deforming" front flat panel less visible but the outside sticker designs?
Old 02-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #12

Montana
Quote:

Mine is looking at it, I remembered your video and found it and am sending it to them... Much appreciated. Any feedback on how they fixed it and how it turned out?
Old 06-08-2022, 11:51 PM   #13

Montana
They fixed mine under warranty AFTER I sent them the info from this thread. I told them that Dutchmen was aware of this. They said there was no argument... Now ask me about the slide ripped flooring.