2018 Coleman tank valves - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Arizona
2018 Coleman tank valves

Hello, new to the forum, first travel trailer. Had a class A years ago so I have some experience dumping holding tanks. I cannot for the life of me figure out EXACTLY what I’m looking at, and the dealership “delivery” guy(the guy that does a walkthrough with you when you buy a trailer) wasn’t sure either, got his manager and he also didn’t know for sure. On my 2018 Coleman 285bhwe I have 2 grey holding tanks, kitchen and bathroom, and 1 black. Kitchen tank, self explanatory, no problem there... Bathroom is a different story, only one 3” pipe coming out and only one valve handle, cannot see the pipe configuration because of the insulation. Stickers on the coach indicate “grey tank” and “black tank” on either side of the pipe... but only ONE valve?? So it it possible they dump sequentially so everything can be flushed properly, or does it dump both simultaneously. Again, no help from the dealership, and can’t find anyone to give me a straight answer. Any help would be great, thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	4663  

AzScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #2

Arizona
Another pic

Couldn’t get both pics in the first post
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	4664  

Old 03-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Sometimes they hide a valve between the axles or some other hard to reach place.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
It could be a combined tank....

I would close the valve then dump a bucket of water in one location, like the toilet, then pull the handle and see what happens. Close the handle then dump water in the shower, pull the handle. You SHOULD have 3 handles, 2 gray tanks and one black tank.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #5

Arizona
Checked there as well, no luck. Called Keystone Dutchmen, sent them pics of the underbelly... customer service is stumped, they sent it off to the production side to get help, they’re puzzled as well but are looking into it. Still waiting, lol. I’m just glad we got her a couple months before our first real scheduled trip with it, hopefully get these bugs ironed out before Memorial Day in Flagstaff.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

Arizona
Thanks Aaron, I’ll try that now
Old 03-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Florida
I know I would be very careful pulling the cap off of that pipe with out a visible valve...... bean counters at Dutchman might have cut cost again and left the valve out....
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #8

Arizona
Thank you all for the input, Dutchmen emailed back and said “they are plumbed together and only the one valve handle”... that being said, Thom, you were right!! Aaron, thanks for the advice to use a bucket and dump water through. Pulled the cap and SPLASH!! Septic water right at me, verified the valve that is there was closed, dumped water down the toilet and it went straight through, dumped water down the shower and nothing till I pulled the valve. Looks like I’m running to state trailer supply to get a valve this weekend. Gonna email Dutchmen back and let them know as well. Thank God it hasn’t been used yet!! That could’ve been a nightmare!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScout View Post
Thank you all for the input, Dutchmen emailed back and said “they are plumbed together and only the one valve handle”... that being said, Thom, you were right!! Aaron, thanks for the advice to use a bucket and dump water through. Pulled the cap and SPLASH!! Septic water right at me, verified the valve that is there was closed, dumped water down the toilet and it went straight through, dumped water down the shower and nothing till I pulled the valve. Looks like I’m running to state trailer supply to get a valve this weekend. Gonna email Dutchmen back and let them know as well. Thank God it hasn’t been used yet!! That could’ve been a nightmare!
Let me get this right. You have NO handle or shut off valve on the Black Tank?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #10

Arizona
Yup, that would be correct Frank, no valve... no handle... just the cap. I consider myself lucky I check and thoroughly familiarize myself with stuff before I put anything to use, I truly hope that mine is just a fluke, and not a common oversight for this model.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Dutchmen is full of it. There should be a valve on the black tank too. I can see the gray tanks being plumbed together to a single valve, but not all three. Obviously they neglected to put one in at the factory.

Aaron [emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #12

Arizona
For good measure to make sure I’m not making a fool of myself, I just had my neighbor(plumber) run a scope up the pipe... no valve on the black side.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
For good measure to make sure I’m not making a fool of myself, I just had my neighbor(plumber) run a scope up the pipe... no valve on the black side.
I would have him checked the configuration on the gray side too. Given the fact the obviously missed a valve install, I would wonder what else is missing.

Aaron
Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Thank you all for the input, Dutchmen emailed back and said “they are plumbed together and only the one valve handle”... that being said, Thom, you were right!!
Scout, this is one time I truly wish I was wrong! That is unimaginable!
Several folks on here use a clear plastic valve that goes right on the end of the pipe (can't think of brand name right now) but that would work till you get in the plumbing mood. Electric valves are the way to go since you have to add valves anyway.

Thom
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
I think Thom may be referring to the Flush King.

Aaron
Old 03-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Yup, that would be correct Frank, no valve... no handle... just the cap. I consider myself lucky I check and thoroughly familiarize myself with stuff before I put anything to use, I truly hope that mine is just a fluke, and not a common oversight for this model.
I would not have thought that they come from the factory intentionally that way. That's just plain crazy!!!!! It's got to be a mistake (heaven forbid THEY make mistakes). Sounds like somebody skipped the installation step on that one. I would check to see if the dealer has another one like yours and check it to see if it's the same...

By the way, I have one of those flush king valves, the backflush apparatus breaks easily. I would just get the plain gate valve and add the 90 degree clear.

I bought this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...alterra+valves
Old 03-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Can't be too hard on the manufacturer, an easy oversight on blind installer training day.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Can't be too hard on the manufacturer, an easy oversight on blind installer training day.
and
Old 03-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #19

Arizona
LOL, thanks guys. Still waiting to hear back from the manufacturer whether it was a mistake or if that is how it comes, hopefully the former so I can just take her back in and get it fixed. If not, I guess I’ll just do it myself and hopefully not screw up my warranty. But I’ve got a couple options, drop the underbelly and install between the tank and the “Y” where the two tanks come together, PITA, or cut off the cap and install there, definitely easier, but should give me a couple more gallons of capacity. Being that the electric valves benefit me and not the wife, not sure the boss will give me the go ahead on the expense, lol, however, I have already picked up the clear elbow with a back flush valve. She’s been home now less than 48hours, still have a lot of other things to do, electrician coming today to put in a 30amp outlet, need to pick up a genny, wife is going out to get bed sets and “pretty” crap, and I ordered an anti sway kit and air bags for the truck last night. It all just keeps adding up, hoping it levels out soon, I just wanna camp��⛺️
Old 03-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #20

Illinois
Hang in there. Eventually it will get cheaper, especially since you seem like a hands on kind of guy. After a month or so, the most expensive RV outlay will be beer! Good luck.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote