2015 aSPEN TRAIL EXTERIOR - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #1

Florida
2015 aSPEN TRAIL EXTERIOR

We are relatively beginners, but we have camped over 6 months since owning our travel trailer in 2015.

Yesterday, I noticed that the aluminum siding on the left side just forward of the small compartment door is coming loose. The screw can no longer be tightened and wonder what is the best way to repair it? Lock-tite did not work. Maybe a longer screw? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Jim

darenkamp1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

Florida
Without seeing it, I would insert a gorilla glue covered screw that is one size larger and 1/4" longer.

Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
Without seeing it, I would insert a gorilla glue covered screw that is one size larger and 1/4" longer.
I 2nd that, it has worked for me in similar situations. Keep in mind that a little gorilla glue goes a long way and it will expand a bit.........found that out the hard way.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

Florida
Photos to help in the resolution of my issue

I took some close up photos with my iPhone. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

JIM
Old 07-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

Florida
Another Photo

Here is another photo.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

British Columbia
Jim,

Your photos didn't upload.

I use a similar method as The Owl and Handy Man, but I make one extra step. I use round tooth picks dipped in Gorilla Glue, tap them into the screw hole and cut them off flush. Then replace the screw with the same sized screw, while the glue is still wet. When it's dry the screw hole is stronger than the supporting material.

I began using this method when a cabinet door was getting loose because of stripped out screws. By building up the material in the screw holes I could use the correct size screw for the hinges.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #7

Florida
Attempting 2nd upload of photos

Maybe the files were too big. Reduced the size and re-uploading.

Cheers,

JIM
Old 07-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #8

Florida
Another Photo

Maybe the files were too big. Reduced the size and re-uploading.

Cheers,

JIM
Old 07-24-2016, 11:00 PM   #9

Florida
Thanks. There are several different types of Gorilla Glue, which type do you recommend?

Cheers,

JIM
Old 07-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #10

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Jim,

Your photos didn't upload.

I use a similar method as The Owl and Handy Man, but I make one extra step. I use round tooth picks dipped in Gorilla Glue, tap them into the screw hole and cut them off flush. Then replace the screw with the same sized screw, while the glue is still wet. When it's dry the screw hole is stronger than the supporting material.

I began using this method when a cabinet door was getting loose because of stripped out screws. By building up the material in the screw holes I could use the correct size screw for the hinges.
I seem to recall my Grandfather using that same trick with wood glue on a door hinge and as I remember it seemed to work pretty well......20yrs later and the door is still swinging.
As for the type of gorilla glue I would think the wood glue or just the original. I think in this instance I would go with the wood glue and the toothpicks......simply for the clean up...I seem to have issues with the original stuff getting all over everything..........including my beard.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #11

Tennessee
Any wood glue and matchsticks, or wooden dowel plugs. I fixed stripped out door steps and stripped awning bolts doing this, works great. That's assuming you have a wood backing.

The best use for Gorilla glue is lining a garbage bag
I swear i've tried it 10 times and it hasn't held once.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
I seem to recall my Grandfather using that same trick with wood glue on a door hinge and as I remember it seemed to work pretty well......20yrs later and the door is still swinging.
As for the type of gorilla glue I would think the wood glue or just the original. I think in this instance I would go with the wood glue and the toothpicks......simply for the clean up...I seem to have issues with the original stuff getting all over everything..........including my beard.
I certainly didn't invent the tooth pick trick, but the first time I ever used it was around 1975.

It's probably something that I saw my dad do when I was still in short pants. He was what was known as a "finish carpenter." It's probably in my DNA, becoming a carpenter was a possible career choice and my son is a cabinet maker, he's been a journeyman for 30+ years.

I use the stuff that get's in your beard, but it's kind of embarassing though, having all them bald patches.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote