2015 Aspen Trail 2810BHS - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2015, 02:23 AM   #1

Texas
2015 Aspen Trail 2810BHS

Well, I just purchased my first TT at the show. Went to the show and bought it. I take delivy next week. The TT will kind of serve as a second home on the hunting lease in Texas and used primarily in the winter. It will be hooked up all the time to well water and septic.
Question is what accessories would you seasoned camps suggest for me? The 2015 did not come with a black tank flush so the dealer is adding that. Is their anything in particular I should look out for?

aqua vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Texas
Welcome, aqua vita did u buy it from toppers. that's where I bought mine from and they have been excellent on any warranty repairs that I have had. I would recommend mattress toppers right away for a good nights sleep. if u have any questions feel free to ask .

rbordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #3

Montana
Welcome. You don't mention how you will provide electricity to the unit. It will come with a 12V battery (or multiple batteries) to run the 12V items such as lighting, water pump, furnace, fridge control panel, and likely some safety alarm/monitors like propane and CO. The TT's onboard converter will charge the batteries when the TT is plugged into shore power or generator. If you don't have electric hookups where you'll be using the TT, you'll need to come up with another way to recharge the batteries.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #4

Oklahoma
A 100# propane tank will come in very useful during the cold times.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #5

Texas
I did get it at toppers. Good to know that they are reputable. Have never owned a TT, reading any of the forums can make the whole process frightening.

Yes, will have shore power, water and sewer.

Big propane tank is a good idea. Was thinking I will use it primarily in our Texas cold fronts. What about a small, well placed space heater to assist keeping it warm?

Other ideas I thought about was to get under the trailer and use spray foam to seal in all gaps in the underbelly to try and keep mice from nesting in it. Placing screens on the exterior vents for flying bugs and insects.

Do you guys think ladders are worth while to access the roof?

What size TV will fit in the living and bed rooms. Was thinking since I would not really be hauling it around that I would just get a residential TV. Do I need to buy a mount from the dealer or will any one work? What about installing the mount, anything to know here?

I also was not planning to buy brake controllers, sway bars or weight distribution equipment since I would not be traveling with it. I do need to move it about 90 miles from the dealer though. I drive a 2011 Tahoe LTZ with tow package and some kind of auto weight distribution built in that can pull 8500 #'s. Unloaded, the trailer weighs 7600#'s. You think I would be crazy to try and move it myself without a brake controller? I have not ever pulled anything this heavy in this truck and I am unsure how well the brakes will respond. I am considering paying the dealer to move it for me. Thanks and appreciate the input.
aqua vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #6

Florida
Since you plan on using it during cold fronts, I would get a heated water supply hose also.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

Texas
aqua vita ,I pull mine with a Chevrolet 2500hd w/distributing hitch and brake controller and its still a handfull in cross winds and pulling long grades. I personally wouldn't pull it with out the hitch and brake controller it is a heavy trailer. their delivery charge would probably be cheaper than a w/distributing hitch. we use a small plug in heater we bought at camping world and works very well plus it saves on propane .when u go through pdi take ur time they will explain everything to u and answer any questions . ask about the insect screens then .we bought ours from them and they installed right then. you might check but I think all aspen trails come with entertainment centers . ours came with one and it been a good setup. since ur going to leave it outside I recommend a carport to protect it from the elements . we got one from Carolina carports and it works great .
rbordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Montana
Yes, crazy tow that big of a trailer without brakes. I think state laws typically require trailer brakes when it's over 2 or 3 thousand pounds. A controller is ~$100 bucks. That heavy of a trailer is going to be really hard on your Tahoe. I would look into renting a WDH or something, the tongue weight must be over 1000 lbs.