2013 275BH Shower Walls Cracked - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Colorado
2013 275BH Shower Walls Cracked

Hey guys... first post! Bought a 2013 Dutchmen Coleman (275BH) a couple years ago... Been real happy with it.

Went to pick it up for our first camping trip this season and noticed the shower walls are cracked. Assuming it's from the cold weather over the winter. At this point, it doesn't matter.

I'd rather not deal with Camping World on this and have them keep it for a few weeks. I've searched the web and can't find an online dealer that'll sell me the parts. Does anyone have a good source for buying parts online? Everything says contact your dealer. Tried calling the parts department at the local CW and they give me the run-around.

Any help would be great... Thanks!!!
Matthew.

formatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Matthew.

I haven't shopped a shower stall for an "RV" online or at a dealer. But for things like a shower stall, they would be the last place I looked.

I'm sure that HD, Lowe's or a specialty bath shop, would have something that would work. Why pay an inflated "RV" price for things that can be sourced at a building supply store.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #3

Colorado
Good call... I'll look into this option. Thanks!
formatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #4

California
One thing you can look at is a mobile home supplier for parts. Many of the repair parts, (tubs/showers included) are sized in a mobile home similar to an RV. Never had any luck finding a 54" wide shower in home depot or Lowes, but mobile home repair suppliers have them all day long.
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsdas88 View Post
One thing you can look at is a mobile home supplier for parts. Many of the repair parts, (tubs/showers included) are sized in a mobile home similar to an RV. Never had any luck finding a 54" wide shower in home depot or Lowes, but mobile home repair suppliers have them all day long.
That's another place to look, any place but a RV Stealership.

I was thinking a neoangle shower stall, the one in my camper is the same size as the one in our downstairs bathroom. If it's a tub/shower or a 54" rectangular shower stall, you won't find them in HD or Lowes,

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:30 PM   #6

California
You should be able to get auto body fiberglass repair kit. But this would be a patch and not match but would be water proof until you find something permanent

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
You should be able to get auto body fiberglass repair kit. But this would be a patch and not match but would be water proof until you find something permanent
You can do wonders with gelcoat. Could be worthwhile to see what a fiberglass repair shop would charge to repair it. No muss, no fuss.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:51 AM   #8

California
Hmmm? I have some background in fiberglass and gelcoat repair. It was actually my first real job with a Company called "Mobile Traveler" but that was another lifetime....
Cold weather won't crack fiberglass, at least not without water already being present in an existing hole or crack so it may be worth investigating the cause before you cure it only to have it re-occur. If the surface gelcoat is cracked but the underlying glass mat is still intact, you should still be water proof. The gelcoat can be sanded and reapplied, very light wet sand, rub out, buff and almost as good as new. There are boat repair shops that are expert at color matching or you could re-coat the entire stall and probably get a better job. Boat shops deal with fiberglass repair a lot more than "Billy Bob's RV and tackle Shop" Just sayin!
Lastly, WHY did it happen in the first place? I suspect the stall is not well supported and the walls flexed causing the gelcoat to crack. The gelcoat is pretty fragile and ridged compared to the fiberglass backing attached to it. Even a poorly supported floor or rotted floor support may reflect in flexing the walls. Definitely find out why first!!