2006 Kodiak 25RGB-SL problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

New York
2006 Kodiak 25RGB-SL problems

So I introduced myself in the introduction forum. Now down to business with my problems. My fresh water tank has a crack. I tried the adhesive route and of course it didn't work. So now I am going to try and weld it, but would like to know. Is the tank LDPE or HDPE?

My other problem is I have a leak at the slide. If you are looking out the window, it is the left front where the side wall meets. It caused the wood that is attached to the bench frame to rot. Which caused the left side to sag and move away from the seal outside. So we put a steel plate about 1/2" thick and big enough to brace on the wood under the frame. This allowed the left side to come back up and the roller to ride on the steel.
The problem is, it didn't fix the leak. I could feel where the wall is getting wet. When I go outside and I check the seals, caulking and roof. It all looks ok and I see no place where the water is coming in. I know the trailer itself is ok and it is the slide container that has the leak. I even had someone shine a light at night trying to find a hole. I also looked at the calking and screws with a magnifying glass. No luck finding this leak. It has been going on for sometime from my estimate.
I have to live in this trailer for at least 6-9 months. My house is finally being elevated after Super Storm Sandy. I need to fix these 2 problems. I have bad breathing problems, and I do not want tubes down my throat again from mold.

The pictures of the slide leak are not orientated the right way. They need to be rotated clockwise to show the pictures the right way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170402_124137.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	4020   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170417_213248.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	4021   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170406_164838.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	4022  

Old 05-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #2

New York
So an update I sat down twice to do this. The fresh water tank is going to have to be replaced. I almost had it stopped with welding. I used the 80 watt HF iron, and had no problems with it crapping out. I did use the right rods that I was able to obtain through a friend. Then I had the friend who gave me the rods look at it. He told me it wasn't going to work. He welded it anyway, and it held for 18 hrs. Then it started has a slow drip. Within 32 hrs it was pissing out again.

My slide is still leaking, but not has bad. The owner and a mechanic came to look at it. He took the U-Bench frame out, and the wood that the roller sits on. Is rotted and wrapping which caused that side of the slide to sag. So has a quick fix, I helped the mechanic put a piece of 1/4" steel plate under the wood and roller. It is big enough to not be supported on the rotted wood. It raised the slide about 1/2" and slowed the leak. It needs to come up about another 1/2" to be level. Still that rotted wood is the result of the leak. Which has been going on for awhile. So they are coming back out here. For the tank and see what can be done. This is not a quick trip for these people. Its a good hour ride almost 80 miles one way. The work that this guy did was more then expected. With what he had to work with the first time and not knowing the extent of the damage.

Now I have looked and the seal is tighter around the outside of the slide. It is dry behind the seal and on the sides behind the seal. I have used this Rustoleum rubber spray around the front cap where the seam is. I even used duct tape around the seal to the slide before the last rain we had. No water is leaking from the window, and from what I can tell the roof is intact. No water marks any place inside of the slide. Except in that one corner. At least now it isn't leaking onto the floor. We had some pretty heavy rain around here. So I have a dehumidifier going and drying the wood out. It is driving me crazy tracking the leak down. I am afraid if the slide gets raised on that side. The water will be running someplace else, instead of pooling in that corner.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

New York

Name:	20170512_190430.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4120

Name:	20170512_190439.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	4121

Name:	20170512_200550.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	4122
It isn't pretty and everything was dry under the tarp. After the downpour we just had I thought it would work. I still am leaking. The tarp is below where I see and feel the damage. There are no other leaks through the trailer. Can someone explain what material the walls are made of. Is it plywood with insulation glued to it? How hard to remove the inner wall on that side.