2004 Kodiak by Skamper K195 Multiple Questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2018, 03:20 AM   #1

Texas
2004 Kodiak by Skamper K195 Multiple Questions

Have a few questions about the camper we just bought, I have searched for manuals and have only found the bad owners manual that apparently was the only one out for it, so hopefully someone can help. The previous owner was no help as he bought it a few months ago and was going to fix the canvas and flip it for a profit, but got busy working 2 jobs so sold me instead of fixing it.

2004 Kodiak by Skamper K195

First, we got a really good deal on the unit. About half what it was worth, however due to this it has some issues. The first being the plastic attachment on both canvases need replacing. This is the main issue, but have been trying to get in touch with companies about purchasing the plastic so we can fix it.

Second issue - the heater does not work. We think we might be missing a pilot switch somewhere? Is there one? When we turn the thermostat on, the heater clicks, but nothing else happens. Stove and water heater both work flawlessly, so we know the propane tank isn't empty.

Third issue/question - on the table section, there is a small switch next to the water heater switch. We have no idea what this is for and it appears it turns nothing on, but I know it probably does. If you fold it into a bed there is also another switch with a red light next to it - can't figure this one out either. So a total of 3 switches are in this area, one is the water heater, the other are unlabeled and we don't know what they are/do.

So far everything else works other than the water pump which is on order and will be fixed this weekend. Any help anyone can prove would be great.

Thanks!
KyleW

KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Oklahoma
We'll need to know the specifics of the furnace before an attempt can be made to assist you. That keeps the guess work to a minimum.

A real owner's manual doesen't exist in any form other than brain power found here.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

Florida
Dirt Dobbers LOVE places where there is propane. So do SPIDERS! They love getting into those out of the way areas that are difficult for us to see and get to.

Sundancer's correct about the owner's manual. They're pretty worthless. Specifics on the heater (brand, model, etc) will get you the info you seek! the RV MFR depends on the manufacturer of the particular product to supply the owner's manuals. Kinda like this:

https://www.scamptrailers.com/images...SE_NT-20SE.pdf
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #4

Florida
First off, Welcome to the forum!

As everyone else has already stated as far as manuals, what you got is what you get..... and don't try to find any schematics or building plans, you will get less that the owners manual you have.

As far as vintage parts go, try giving these folks a call. Trekwood RV Parts
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:08 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!

Got a brand and model number for the furnace? Then we can dig up a manual and help with the trouble shooting. One that old probably doesn't have a whole lot of electronics, is it gravity or does it have a fan? I have had both in the past.

Also pictures of anything parts wise you are looking for will help too. Haven't had a popup for quite a few years, but still remember the fun times with the two I had.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:34 AM   #6

Texas
I will try to find a model # on the furnace tomorrow when I replace the water pump, thanks everyone!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #7

Texas
Update on the furnace. Every time I flip the thermostat on, it blows the refrigerator fuse (15A). Not sure why. Here are some pics of the furnace info..hopefully someone can help!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #8

Oklahoma
Does the fuse blow immediately when you turn on the thermostat or is there a delay before it blows?

If immediate I'd look at the thermostat wiring and then the furnace control board and its wiring.

If there is a delay then I'd look at the blower motor and its wiring.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #9

Texas
Small delay but within 5 seconds or so. Almost looked like a flash in the furnace area then the fuse blows. I'm assuming there is a short in the furnace wiring
Old 02-20-2018, 01:03 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleW View Post
Small delay but within 5 seconds or so. Almost looked like a flash in the furnace area then the fuse blows. I'm assuming there is a short in the furnace wiring
The fuse blowing so quickly tells me you probably have a problem in the furnace itself, that and the flash you see. Very possibly the control board has a ground or short in it.
Could be a pinched wire or even a wire that has fallen off the board. At any rate it will be necessary to pull the furnace and tear it down to find the problem.