2001 Dutchmen 30rl question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #1

Texas
2001 Dutchmen 30rl question

I'm looking to purchase a new-to-me camper and I've fairly well settled on a 2001 30rl. It belongs to a friend of mine who has had it about 3-4 years and hasn't really used it. The camper has a salvaged title due to hail damage (on one side only) but is in otherwise great shape. The amount of hail damage is pretty insignificant (and I could care less about it) and everything works. It's in great shape inside as well. He wants $4k for it, which compared to everything else I've seen, it's a great price - because it's a salvaged title.

So my question is this - how much of a money pit is this thing going to be? I know it's a used RV so it will cost something, and I'm mostly ok with that, I just want to know from others who've owned similar units what I'm realistically looking at.

Thanks!

cwjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

Illinois
Without seeing it, and regardless of make or year, I don't think anyone can give you an idea on how much you may have to sink into it. A bad roof or rotted floor (which is very possible on a 15 year old unit), and you'll sink more into it than you've paid unless you are very handy. I would suggest you find the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) sheet that is somewhere on this forum. It lists every item you should check and inspect before you take delivery of a unit. Very informative. At least then you'll know what you're getting into. Who knows, maybe you'll be lucky and find a gem. Good luck.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

Colorado
Have you looked at the roof. If it has hail damage to the side I would imagine the roof took a beating too.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #4

Texas
I did look at the roof and it looked pretty clean. The only hail damage in the roof what the AC cover had a couple holes in it. The roof doesn't have any leaks, and a patch was recently done around the sky light.
cwjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 AM   #5

West Virginia
Recent purchase of a 1992 Dutchmen Classic

I myself recently investigated for hours upon hours of time trying to find a descent used camper which was NOT going to be a high or intense repair project. My husband is NOT good at that kind of stuff, and my physical body wont allow me to do them. I found my camper which while yes it is 23 years old, and I still have not learned what everything does, it had been kept under shelter all the time of its life when not in use, sit on rubber mats instead of the ground, and even still had plastic on the bedroom carpet. Everything is perfect. Looks New. Only issue was blinds had dry rotted and sun cracked and the curtains had been bleached by the sun exposure. There isnt a scuff mark any where on inside, it has never leaked, everything works perfect. The sofa is still firm without any indents n the cushions at all. But yes, only a thorough investigation of EVERYTHING in every area can you determine the value a Camper and/or how much it will need. Good Luck. Happy Camping...
Unique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #6

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique View Post
My husband is NOT good at that kind of stuff..
Holy cow!, you just took you Hubbies Man Card from him in public!!!
Sound like you have a great trailer, and it shows doing your due diligence pays. You should post a picture or two.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
Holy cow!, you just took you Hubbies Man Card from him in public!!!
Sound like you have a great trailer, and it shows doing your due diligence pays. You should post a picture or two.
He got it right back when she chose a 23 year old camper, order is restored in the universe.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:49 PM   #8

West Virginia
LOL Well I cant take anything that he hasnt done gave away. hahaha He openly admits he is not a handy man. Yes he is slowly attempting to learn SMALL things. But nope not taken on a big project of any kind. I just got finished making the curtains and hung them. Will post some pics, Has full bathroom with full tub and shower. Some of the pics have a glare which makes it look like a mark on wall etc, but it is from camera glare. How do I insert the image? It is asking for a web site and my pics are on my computer.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #9

Missouri
Quote:
How do I insert the image?
Hit the go advanced button when you start to write, scroll down then hit manage attachments, it will let you load them there.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 08-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #10

West Virginia
Quote:
Hit the go advanced button when you start to write, scroll down then hit manage attachments, it will let you load them there.
I uploaded them to an album under my name. Can you see them or find them?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #11

West Virginia
Front
Old 08-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Here is a link to the album...

Decent looking camper. Nothing wrong with elderly campers as long as they have been cared for. Oldest I have ever owned was a 40 year old Airstream. Someone offered me way to much money so I sold it to them.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:42 AM   #13

Missouri
Quote:
Nice!! Good job on the curtains. I like the fact that you kept it with the original type décor.
If you have not read up on tires, please do. Can't tell by the pictures, but make sure your tires are not to old. You can't always tell just by looking at the tread. There is a date code on the tires, make sure they are somewhat new.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 PM   #14

California
Sure wouldn't know by those pictures it was 23 years old. Looks very nice. I agree check out the age of the tires. My son bought a 1995 30' Wilderness 5th wheel & the first thing he needed to do was replace the tires.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 AM   #15

West Virginia
Quote:

Nice!! Good job on the curtains. I like the fact that you kept it with the original type décor.
If you have not read up on tires, please do. Can't tell by the pictures, but make sure your tires are not to old. You can't always tell just by looking at the tread. There is a date code on the tires, make sure they are somewhat new.
Thanks, I had the material already and thought it would go good with the mauve. I liked the other curtains but they were so to sun faded.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:28 AM   #16

West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Sure wouldn't know by those pictures it was 23 years old. Looks very nice. I agree check out the age of the tires. My son bought a 1995 30' Wilderness 5th wheel & the first thing he needed to do was replace the tires.
Oh no you cant tell at all that it is 23 years old. If I didnt tell people, they would not know at all. I couldnt have found a better deal. Some people might not agree with me but I feel God led me this camper, and I thank him for that.