1st time winterizing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Travel Trailer
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 04:24 AM   #1

New Jersey
1st time winterizing

I was just wondering after you run antifreeze through system. Do you put the valves back to the normal place or do you leave them closed? Also is it real important to blow the system out with air? I'm pretty sure I ran the system full of AF but then I put the valves in the water lines back to the open position so it's ready to go in the spring. Hope I didn't screw up.
Thanks for any advice, Marty

Jerseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydog View Post
I was just wondering after you run antifreeze through system. Do you put the valves back to the normal place or do you leave them closed? Also is it real important to blow the system out with air? I'm pretty sure I ran the system full of AF but then I put the valves in the water lines back to the open position so it's ready to go in the spring. Hope I didn't screw up.
Marty,

Probably should leave the by-pass valve closed. But I doubt it makes too much difference. Did you drain down the water heater? I remove the big plug on mine. I know of a couple where they turned the by-pass valve but did not drain down the water heater. Expensive mistake. Outside showers are another one that is easy to miss too. Been there done that, replaced the shower... more than once.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

New Jersey
Yes, I followed all steps in the how to videos I've seen. But I didn't have a air adapter and none said anything about the valves after you're done.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:01 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
If you ran anti-freeze through all of your water lines and let them run until you have straight anti-freeze coming out of the traps you are good.

The only thing that you gain by blowing out the lines is less AF is needed to purge the lines.

Personally I only use air to blow out the water lines, as we use our trailer all year long. The only AF I use is for the sink traps. Been doing this for the last 15 years and never burst water line.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Iowa
I always blow out the Sani-flush lines too. Being pex tubing it probably won't hurt them to freeze but if water would settle in a plastic fitting somewhere it could burst it. Those air adapters for blowing out your water lines are inexpensive and so easy to use.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:17 AM   #6

South Carolina
I too, use mostly air, and use the pink stuff in the drains. I blow it out a lot, after draining everything I can. One big caution: Regulate the output of your air compressor down to about 30 PSI. That would equate to city water pressure, and is plenty for blowing the lines. Higher pressure could burst the plastic fittings.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #7

New Jersey
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering after I filled the system with antifreeze, if I defeated the purpose by opening the valves to the fresh water tank?
Old 10-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering after I filled the system with antifreeze, if I defeated the purpose by opening the valves to the fresh water tank?
Only if you filled it with antifreeze.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #9

New Jersey
I opened the valves after I flushed the system and shut the pump down. Since the system wasn't under pressure I didn't think it was going to run back to the water heater and fresh tank. Am I wrong?
Old 10-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I opened the valves after I flushed the system and shut the pump down. Since the system wasn't under pressure I didn't think it was going to run back to the water heater and fresh tank. Am I wrong?
I don't doubt some will have run into the water heater, there is a backflow valve on the fresh water tank. The fact you had the system full of antifreeze means that the water (if there was any left) has mixed with the antifreeze. So I would say no harm, no foul and your system should be good to go for the winter.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:50 AM   #11

Indiana
I opened the low point drains, bypassed the water heater and blew the water out with the air compressor on the city water line.

I believe I hit it with too much air pressure becauses when I pumped antifreeze though the water pump it sprayed out of the city water connection. Time for a new check valve.

I plugged the connection and pumped antifreeze though the faucets, toilet and outside taps. With the remaining antifreeze I filled the "P" traps.

I keep the water heater bypassed with the plug out, the faucet valves open. I also have about two gallons of soapy water in the black and gray water tank and the fresh water drain is open.

rbpru is offline   Reply With Quote