Window Crank Kodiak 221 RBSL-Any One? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #1

New Brunswick
Window Crank Kodiak 221 RBSL-Any One?

Hi everyone!
Just wondering if anyone has run into the window crank problem we have with our 221 RBSL. I have put a couple of photos in the accompanying photo site here at:
Dutchmen Owners> CanuckTraveller's Profile> Albums> Kodiak 221 RBSL

The problem (not a big one but...) is that the crank for the kitchen window is right in the venetian blinds. I could move up the blinds but that is not a great answer to the problem either or possibly the best answer would be if there was such a thing as an extension to the crank. I have looked for one but so far not found anything suitable.
Anyone else found an answer to this? Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.....Ernie

Old 09-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #2

British Columbia
Wonderful how well the engineers design our trailers.

Take a look through the Lee Valley Tools web site, if the is anything available to extend the crank you will find it there or most likely not at all.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #3

Nevada
I found these they might work.
RV Window Crank Handle Extension, 7/8" Long, Die Cast - Package - Amazon.com

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Won't the extension stick through the blinds as does the crank handle in your pix?

All of the blinds in my rig sit gently on top of the crank handles. I have to admit I did index the handles so they would sit on two points rather than one.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #5

New York
Ok - so we see yet another "problem" however least not forget that the Dutchmen people did not design the windows......this happens to be a window engineers design! - I'd bet he/she has never owned a travel trailer either! In our SOB (Sunline) - we had the same crank windows, and after awhile, the blind slats became black from the handle.....so if you can get the extension, that may eliminate the black slats!

Can't blame Dutchmen on this one!

I have slide windows and the only way to open/close them is to pull up the blind.
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #6

New Brunswick
Thank everyone, will try the Amazon.com one when we get back down Florida way as ordering it in the USA via Amazon is much easier than up here. That may be the answer to the problem.
Great site here with great people....thanks again....Ernie in New Brunswick, Canada.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
Ok - so we see yet another "problem" however least not forget that the Dutchmen people did not design the windows......this happens to be a window engineers design! - I'd bet he/she has never owned a travel trailer either! In our SOB (Sunline) - we had the same crank windows, and after awhile, the blind slats became black from the handle.....so if you can get the extension, that may eliminate the black slats!

Can't blame Dutchmen on this one!

I have slide windows and the only way to open/close them is to pull up the blind.
Probably right on the mark, when the engineers travel, they most likely travel using the closest Holiday Inn.

How ever it's the Dutchmen (Thor) engineers/designers that write the specs, that the suppliers bid on.

There is nothing that the classroom, can give you that trumps the practical experience.

The one thing that an executive at Harley Davidson must be to qualify for a position, is to ride the product they build. Perhaps if this was the standard practice in the RV industy we wouldn't be finding as many bone head screw ups in our traliers.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #8

Tennessee
We know exactly what you're talking about. We pulled our 221 RBSL from TN through SD, down thru CO, out to the Grand Canyon and back to TN this summer. A week or so later, we headed to Acadia NP, ME and are now wandering our way home via PA & OH. That crank is in an inconvenient place. So far, we've just opted to pull the blinds up into the valance when underway, then drop them down to the crank handle for privacy when desired while stopped (we never engage the little pins in the bottom slat. They obviously cause the slat to conflict with the handle). If you come up with a better solution, keep us posted.

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #9

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
We know exactly what you're talking about. We pulled our 221 RBSL from TN through SD, down thru CO, out to the Grand Canyon and back to TN this summer. A week or so later, we headed to Acadia NP, ME and are now wandering our way home via PA & OH. That crank is in an inconvenient place. So far, we've just opted to pull the blinds up into the valance when underway, then drop them down to the crank handle for privacy when desired while stopped (we never engage the little pins in the bottom slat. They obviously cause the slat to conflict with the handle). If you come up with a better solution, keep us posted.
Will post after we get the extension suggested by eightydo from Amazon.com ......Ernie
Old 10-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #10

New Brunswick
I have posted pictures using the crank extension suggested by eightdo, it seems satisfactory. I picked it up locally at an RV dealer.
As you can see in the pictures it sticks thru the blind but does not interfere with it.
Thanks for the suggestion eightydo!
.....Ernie
Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #11

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Won't the extension stick through the blinds as does the crank handle in your pix?

All of the blinds in my rig sit gently on top of the crank handles. I have to admit I did index the handles so they would sit on two points rather than one.
No you can see in the pictures it does go thru the blind but does interfere like the handle did.
BTW used the 1" extension, longer is too long.
....Ernie
Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

Nevada
Ernie would it be feasible to move the side brackets of the Venation Blind up ward as to not interfere with the blind working? Just MHO.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #13

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Ernie would it be feasible to move the side brackets of the Venation Blind up ward as to not interfere with the blind working? Just MHO.
Yes it might, in my case I did not want more holes in the wall, but yes it could work however the extension that I put on the crank seems to satisfy our concerns.
Hey, the "Boss" is happy so I am happy also...LOL!
....Ernie
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #14

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
No you can see in the pictures it does go thru the blind but does interfere like the handle did.
BTW used the 1" extension, longer is too long.
....Ernie
I have to edit this I meant to say "No you can see in the pictures it does go thru the blind but it does NOT interfere like the handle did.
BTW used the 1" extension, longer is too long."

I have to read MORE closely my future typing....one word sure changes the intent!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #15

Wisconsin
Doc

I have another problem that I hope you can help with.

I have the newer frame-less windows with the same crank system. My problem is that they unscrew during transport and the windows open. Not all of them, just three.

This may be because I don't tighten them enough, but how tight is too tight? If its too tight I run the risk of ruining the closer but too loose and water could get in or the glass could get pulled off or broken. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #16

New Brunswick
Medic; I do not have that problem, I do not screw them real tight either.
We just drove 2100 miles from the Canadian Maritimes to south Florida over some pretty rough roads at the speed limit (and some!), one would think that it would do that (your issue) if it was going to.
I would write Dutchmen re this and ask for their help.
Good luck.....Ernie
Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #17

Wisconsin
Canuck Traveler

Its in for warranty services now at Camping World. That is but one of a loooong list of repairs needed. Maybe a simple 'travel pin' will do it. I'll let you know what they tell me and what the factory tells them.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #18

New Brunswick
Medic, good luck. It might be a thought if you have had any leaks to get a SEALTECH 430R or similar done, in mine I had the Bear Cave storage on both sides leaking (don't know if the test would pick this one up in the storage area) & the Skylight in the Living Area (which it would have picked up)leak due to the factory torqueing it down too much. Anyway the warranty paid for both.
Good luck....Ernie
Here is the info for sealtech:
http://www.rvleaks.com/brochure.pdf
Old 11-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #19

New York
Canuck Traveller - what did the test cost or did you buy the whole system and most of all where was it done?????
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #20

New Brunswick
I had our Sealtest done on our former Funfinder 210WBS at an RV dealership in Osprey, Florida near Sarasota. They found two leaks around the windows. I think the cost was around $110 or so. There are a few sites on the internet and on RVNet that show a do it yourself like here:RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Do it yourself pressure leaks test???(Compleated)

Here is a list of dealers that do Sealtest around Canada & the USA. Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles

Good luck....Ernie