Which Blue Ox Sway Pro for Kodiak Cub? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

Washington
Which Blue Ox Sway Pro for Kodiak Cub?

Hi all,

I took delivery of a 2019 Kodiak Cub over the weekend and towed it home ~250 miles from the dealership using my 2017 Grand Cherokee. The trailer actually towed pretty well but I would like to purchase some sway bars for future trips. I've been looking at the Blue Ox Sway Pro setup.

The issue I'm having is that when I e-mailed Blue Ox and asked them to recommend which Sway Pro I should purchase they told me that they need the "loaded tongue weight" of the trailer in order to make a recommendation. So, I went through all the stickers on the trailer, all the manuals that came with it and searched through Dutchmen's website but all I can find is the "dry tongue weight".

Eventually I went online and I found a lot of people suggesting that a good way to estimate the loaded tongue weight is to use 10 - 15% of the loaded trailer weight. So, I did the following calculation:

The total loaded vehicle max should never be more than 3,532lbs (dry weight) + 1,088lbs (cargo capacity) = 4,620lbs
So 10 – 15% of 4,620 would be between 462lbs and 693lbs

I then fired off this information to Blue Ox who responded with: "We really like to get an accurate loading tongue weight, but if you can not get that then going off of the 10%-15% you would want to go with the BXW0750 swaypro set up."

I sent Dutchmen an e-mail last week asking for the loaded tongue weight but I haven't gotten a response back from them yet.

So, I have 2 questions:

#1: Does anyone know the true loaded tongue weight of the 2019 Kodiak Cub?
#2: Any comments on my method of estimating the loaded tongue weight and on Blue Ox's response above?

Thanks for the help!

dprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprus View Post
#1: Does anyone know the true loaded tongue weight of the 2019 Kodiak Cub?
#2: Any comments on my method of estimating the loaded tongue weight and on Blue Ox's response above?

Thanks for the help!
#1 is unanswerable because nobody but you knows what gets loaded into your camper. That would have to measured with a tongue weight scale or at semi scales at a co-op or truck stop.

It's not likely that you will be any where close to your max cargo capacity, we have tons of garbage in our 22ft. camper and it's around 500lbs(750lb tongue weight), I would go with what they suggested.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
It's not likely that you will be any where close to your max cargo capacity, we have tons of garbage in our 22ft. camper and it's around 500lbs(750lb tongue weight), I would go with what they suggested.
OK great - I'll go with the one they recommended then. Thanks!
dprus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:48 AM   #4

Wisconsin
I have a 2018 Kodiak Cub and I just bought a tongue weight gage. It cost $132 on Amazon.
My loaded tongue weight came in at 800 pounds. I got it to drop about 50 pounds by moving food from the front to the rear.
So with two full propane tanks, one 30T battery and a full 50 gallon tank of water it comes in between 750 and 800 pounds.
Different floor plans may weight in different. Mine is the rear dinette plan.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #5

Massachusetts
We are towing the 175BH with a Jeep GC Overland 4x4 v6 and it has been a good match to the trailer.

I looked very closely at the Blue Ox and the Andersen. They both would have worked great but ended up deciding on the Andersen. My main reasons were:
1) The hitch itself was a lot lighter (the Jeep tongue weight max and payload max are limiting factors to how much we can tow...)
2) had great reviews from other people with similar size trailers
3) super easy to install
4) super easy to use (simple connect and disconnect process, and light enough to easily take the hitch off when not needed)

I bought it online and had it delivered. I then installed it myself in the RV dealer's lot when I picked up the trailer. I think it took me about 30-45 min.

We have towed a few thousand miles this past summer and the hitch worked very well. No sway, pitching, etc. And its very quiet.

Here are some pics of our setup:

Regarding trailer weight -
We were coming home from a recent long weekend trip and had 2/3 full grey and black water tanks. I weighed my combined rig of Jeep + loaded 175BH before dumping and the trailer itself was about 4500 lbs. I wasn't able to get just the tongue weight but it was good info for me to keep in mind next season that running with tanks pretty full, full propane, camping gear, etc can definitely add a decent amount of weight to that dry weight.

I added one of those tongue weight gauges to my wish list
Corum999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #6

Illinois
It is actually rather simple. The most you should ever load on the tongue is 15% of the total weight. So look for the white weight tag that shows GVWR. Multiply that by .15 and that would be the TW to use. This is the most it should ever weigh.

Get the bars closest to that weight without going under, also if the bars are within 100 pounds of the GTW(gross tongue weight) go up the next size bars, the hitch weight should be included.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote