Westlake tires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2015, 02:13 AM   #1

Alberta
Westlake tires

only a few trips after buying my new trailer (Kodiak 300 BHSL) both of the tires on the drivers side blew out at 65 KPH ( 45 MPH) and did over $8000 damage. The trailer was at the dealers for three months.
i did a little research on this tire brand and have discovered they have been recalled by the US Dept. of transportation and are labeled as unsafe and lacking in basic safety features that are required in the US and Canada. ( You can go online and confirm all this yourself)
I am dumbfounded that Kodiak uses these tires and that so much damage can be caused by tires failure,
i am only posting this to warn everybody,,,,,,

if your trailer has Westlake tires get them changed NOW.
if i didn't have full insurance coverage i would be out $8000 right now.
if i was my insurance company i would be going after Kodiak for using tires that have been recalled and are labelled as dangerous by the US Dept. of transport.
The problem is that the warranty on a brand new trailer states the batteries and tires are not covered.

I dont want to see anybody hurt due to these tires. If i had been going any faster or my driving skills were not good, it is possible i may have lost control of my vehicle and there would be a lot more than just a busted up trailer here!!!!!!

1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:11 AM   #2

Iowa
Russ, thanks for sharing this information and your experience. Glad you could keep control and avoided a catastrophe. Luckily I changed mine out before they exploded. Too bad the camper manufactures can get away with installing inferior tires that don't meet US standards.

dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #3

North Carolina
What about the dealer responsibility? Were the tires recalled prior to your taking delivery of the trailer?
WackyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Only recall I could find on Westlake tires was for truck tires in 2007 and it was a state recall not a national recall. There are several of us on here that are running Westlake tires with no problems. I think every tire company in the world has had a recall at one time or another including Goodyear. Are there better tires out there? Absolutely. My personal preference for trailers is Maxxis. On the heavier trailers LT tires and larger rims are the only way to go.

I think the single biggest factor is the use of tires that are rated too close to the maximum load limits by the RV assemblers.

Face it, profits are their main motive.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

Alberta
I can find some US and Canadian recalls. While there may not be a recall in effect right now they continue to manufacture tires that lack certain accepted construction techniques such as ....
The recalled tires either lacked or had insufficient gum strips, which can cause the tread or belts to separate from the tires, resulting in a crash. Compass and YKS tires were also recalled, since they are also made by Hangzhou Zhongce. Chinese-made tires are cheap, but many experts in the automotive industry do not recommend them. Many of them do not meet industry standards and lack important safety and performance features

One of the worst disasters a driver can face is when a tire sheds its tread. But CTV News has found imported tires from China prone to that kind of failure for sale in Canada, despite a recall in the United States.

The light truck tires are blamed for two deaths in a U.S. lawsuit, after the treads peeled away and a van lost control on a turnpike last year.
Photos

The Chinese plant that manufactures the tires has been accused of neglecting gum strips -- the material that helps hold the belts of tires together.

The gum strips line the inside of the tire.

"The belts can come apart, the tire will overheat and it will basically just disintegrate," Kirk Robinson, an independent mechanic and host of a call-in cable TV show in Toronto called "Auto Talk," told CTV News.

He said the tires could be as dangerous as the defective Firestone models taken off the market in 2000.

Transport Canada has asked any Canadians who have experienced safety issues with the tires to phone its toll-free complaint number at 1-800-333-0510

The Chinese plant that manufactures the tires has been accused of neglecting gum strips -- the material that helps hold the belts of tires together. According to U.S. officials, some of the gum strips only had a width of about 0.3 millimetres, half of what they expected.

American officials have responded by ordering the American importer to recall half a million of the Chinese tires.

Transport Canada said it monitors U.S. recalls but makes independent assessments of questionable products. While the agency said it doesn't know of any of the tires on Canadians shelves, CTV News found two sets in a single day -- along with several stores willing to order the exact models recalled by the U.S. government.

Mississauga, Ont.-based importer Aziz Rakla, of Rakla Tires Inc., claims to be the exclusive importer of the products in Canada.

Rakla refused to speak on camera, but said the tires are tested at the Chinese factory, owned by Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co., and are fine for use. He also said he orders and sells the tires "by the container full," from B.C. to Newfoundland.

The tires are sold under the names Westlake, Telluride, Compass or YKS. The sizes involved in the U.S. recall are:

• LT235/75R-15 CR861 CR857
  • LT225/75R-16 CR861
  • LT235/85R-16 CR860 CR861 CR857
  • LT245/75R-16 CR860 CR861 CR857
  • LT265/75R-16 CR860 CR861 CR857
  • LT31X10.5-15 CR857 CR861

Apparently unknown to Transport Canada, there are two major distributors of the tires in Canada: Remington Tire and Canada Tire Inc.

While Remington did not return phone calls by CTV News, a spokesperson from Canada Tire said the company would immediately stop offering the models.

"Canada Tire Inc. has decided to stop selling the Westlake light truck line in question (models CR857 and CR860) at the present time until we get further clarification on the situation," Harold Busner, vice president of Canada Tire, told CTV News in an email.

He also said the Chinese tires only made up a very small minority of products sold by company.

Meanwhile, Transport Canada has said it wants to obtain some of those tires to test their safety.

"We certainly don't want to alarm anybody," said spokesperson Lars Eif. "We need to get our facts straight before we take action on this."

He added: "The chances of someone in Canada experiencing a tread separation tomorrow morning with a vehicle equipped with these tires is very, very low. So we are not really calling this an emergency at all."

Under Canadian law, importers cannot be forced into recalling products. But the government can require them to inform their customers about any safety issues.
1958 Mooney M20A
Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Alberta
Dan: The problem is that the warranty states quite clear that tires and batteries are not covered under the manufactures warranty, or I would have gone after them instead of using my insurance to cover this.
what has me so PO'd is that they continue to put $5 tires on a $50,000 trailer. Come on, charge me another grand for the trailer and use safe American Made or Canadian made tires!
1958 Mooney M20A
Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Russ,
Those tires were manufactured in 2005 and 2007, the US recall was done by the importer in 2010. That was 5 years ago.

There are different standards for truck tires and trailer tires in both Canada and the USA.

ALL of the tires listed are TRUCK tires, not trailer tires.

Yes the manufacturer's are guilty of using cheap stuff in their trailers. But one of the first questions buyers seem to ask is "how cheap can I buy it for"? Guess what? The manufacturer's are happy to provide that. They are in business to make money, and yes most of them cut corners to do it. I have to review warranties as part of my job, most are written to protect the manufacturer NOT the consumer. Caveat Emptor. Price is no indicator of quality.

I could build a quality trailer but how many people would be willing to pay a few thousand more for a trailer that looks just like the cheap one? Very few. There have been several quality manufacturers, but they are the ones that take the hit when the economy sours and every one starts shopping price first. Teton Homes was a top end manufacturer and there units sold for 30% more than equivalent ones from the run of the mill manufacturer. They were well worth it. But sadly they are out of business.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

Alberta
Aaron: Yes the recall was a few years ago but they continue to manufacture these tires below industry minimums and some barely meet regulated safety requirements even today. Both my tires literally evaporated!!!!! and almost killed me and my family. These tires, in my opinion are unsafe and I urge anybody using them to replace them.
1958 Mooney M20A
Old 10-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #9

California
Thanks Russ for the heads up. I'm getting ready to order an Aerolite, which would have the Westlake brand on it from the factory. I'm going to negotiate with the dealership and insist on changing out the Westlake's for Maxxis.

Now- '07 Trailmanor 2720. Soon- Lance 1985
TV- '13 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost w/ MaxTow Pkg
Redtail cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 AM   #10

Arizona
Except for Maxxis, all ST tires are now made in china and they're all terrible. There are numerous threads on this forum on this topic.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Dan: The problem is that the warranty states quite clear that tires and batteries are not covered under the manufactures warranty, or I would have gone after them instead of using my insurance to cover this.
what has me so PO'd is that they continue to put $5 tires on a $50,000 trailer. Come on, charge me another grand for the trailer and use safe American Made or Canadian made tires!
You realize that the best Canadian tires aren't made in Canada anymore right? Maxxis tires are now made in Taiwan or Singapore. They were the tires I chose to put on my toyhauler based on a ton of feedback from other trailer owners. Made in Taiwan/Singapore, but still the best Radial ST for trailers that you can find. Trust me... I tried my best to buy a tire that was made here. In the end I settled on it at least being from a company in N. America.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail cruiser View Post
Thanks Russ for the heads up. I'm getting ready to order an Aerolite, which would have the Westlake brand on it from the factory. I'm going to negotiate with the dealership and insist on changing out the Westlake's for Maxxis.
My 2015 Aerolite didn't have Westlakes on it. So double check first. Either way, good idea to swap out.

I've towed the factory tires about 1200 miles so far. One more outing this year and we winterize... Will be popping Maxxis on her before our 2500 mile trip in February.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:38 AM   #13

Alberta
dan: you are for the most part correct. Michelin does manufacture here in Canada and some Canadian Tire tires are also.
i dont know about US manufacturers.
1958 Mooney M20A
Old 10-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
dan: you are for the most part correct. Michelin does manufacture here in Canada and some Canadian Tire tires are also.
i dont know about US manufacturers.
Well, I was specifically talking about the Maxxis ST trailer tires unless they've moved them back to Canada in the last few years.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #15

Arizona
Best advice - If any ST tires say "Made in China" then get rid of them immediately.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #16

Alberta
AZ....exactly. I am now riding on made in Canada Michelins.
1958 Mooney M20A
Old 10-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #17

Montana
Our Denali has Westlake tires on it. We just bought it this summer and haven't travelled many miles with it yet. This weekend We're putting it away for the winter which is about 175 mile trip. Then in the spring when it comes back out I'll be putting on Maxxis tires. Kind of a bummer to replace tires that are brand new.....I've been watching them like a hawk and don't see any signs of problems yet, but I don't trust those damn things at all.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #18

Nevada
My voltage came with Westlakes. I tow with 2500 lbs of cargo plus all of the other regular stuff. I used mine for about 9 months and 18,000 miles. No problem. Always checked air didn't speed much over 65 mph. They didn't last long mileage wise but no problems. My unit is a 2014
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #19

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&HinMT View Post
Our Denali has Westlake tires on it. We just bought it this summer and haven't travelled many miles with it yet. This weekend We're putting it away for the winter which is about 175 mile trip. Then in the spring when it comes back out I'll be putting on Maxxis tires. Kind of a bummer to replace tires that are brand new.....I've been watching them like a hawk and don't see any signs of problems yet, but I don't trust those damn things at all.
Don't feel bad. As soon as I purchased my Voltage it immediately went to Discount Tire for 6 new Michelin XPS Ribs to the tune of $2100. But that was last year and we've done a bunch of long-distance towing since with no tire issues.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:50 AM   #20

Colorado
I believe I have read, or heard, that some are moving to Light Truck tires that are rated for the load, but higher rated speed for their RV.

I am going to do that this Winter and get rid of the Westlake tires that are not wearing well.

Fortunately we have a son-in-law that is a Store Manager for Discount Tire and we'll rely on him for LT tire recommendation...and of course pricing.

Thoughts on this proposed move?

Thanks,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote