Water Heater ByPass Valves - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #1

Washington
Water Heater ByPass Valves

2020 Kodiak Ultra Lite 201QB: Does anyone know how to access the bypass valves on the water heater for winterizing. I cannot find them using the outside access to the water heater. These are normally located on the back of the water heater but there is no access to the back without cutting through the paneling next to the toilet or opening up the plastic seal under the trailer; not sure going in from under the trailer would even solve the issue.

Asked customer support, which is a joke; they just said to have the dealer do it. No way am I going to pay $200 plus 4 hour round trip to have $15 worth of antifreeze put into the water system.

Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #2

Wisconsin
There is probably a panel that is screwed on instead of being stapled on. Find the panel with screws. Otherwise you must pry the panel off.

My Kodiak Cub has access inside the pass through storage compartment. It had a dozen screws holding two panels up. The antifreeze fill hose was under a bedroom cabinet and was held in place by four screws.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #3

Washington
Water Heater ByPass Valves

Thanks for the quick reply. My pass through storage is at the opposite end of the TT from the water heater. The only panel is on the left side of the toilet and has trim around it so it cannot be pried off; I may have to use my dremel or plunge saw to open it up. Just hoping for a better solution.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Can you reach it through the drawers?

If you do decide to go through the framed panel, leave a 1 to 2 inch rim. You can cut a new panel and screw it to the rim. Mine works that way. I actually made a door mounted to the rim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1442.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	6619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1610.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	6620   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1611.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	6621  
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:44 PM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
Can you reach it through the drawers?

If you do decide to go through the framed panel, leave a 1 to 2 inch rim. You can cut a new panel and screw it to the rim. Mine works that way. I actually made a door mounted to the rim.
Thanks for the idea of putting a "door" in. Little tight for my situation but a lift out panel would work.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Have you tried calling the dealer you bought it from, or any dealer that sells and services your brand? They should be able to tell you over the phone where access is located.
wis-redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #7

Washington
The dealer said to bring it to them and they would winterize the trailer for me.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlarson View Post
The dealer said to bring it to them and they would winterize the trailer for me.
They would take shortcuts. Assign it to the newbie in the service department that knows less than anyone.

Best to figure it out and at least be able to do it. I would definitely learn (YouTube) the winterization by air technique so you would only need to utilize antifreeze in the drains. Don’t forget the spray ports.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #9

Illinois
Find the water heater on the outside then go inside and line up where it was on the outside, should be a panel in that horizontal line and should be behind there. At least that is where every rv I have has is the location
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #10

Oregon
On my trailer, the water heater is on the street side toward the head of the bed, I found my panel under the mattress (street side, on the platform the mattress sits on), unscrewed the panel and had to reach down to feel the bypass valve.
gwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:57 AM   #11

Michigan
Your hot wster heater is probably underneath the drawers next to the toilet. That panel should have either 2 or 4 screws to remove it.
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:08 AM   #12

Ontario
I have a Dutchman Aerolite 195QB and has the same floor plan as your trailer. The panel under the 2 drawers in the bathroom had screws holding the panel. If you remove that, you can reach in to the bypass valves on the water heater. The panel beside the furnace also has screws and the water pump is behind that. I installed bypass there to have antifreeze pumped through the system without putting it into the fresh water tank. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Dutch Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:43 AM   #13

Washington
I have the same exact trailer and am using the dry method of winterizing. In a nutshell, you simply drain your freshwater tank and water heater, open all the drain valves and faucets, attach a blowout adapter to your city water hookup and blow out any leftover water. You can get the adapter for less than $10 on Amazon and use an air compressor. I add RV antifreeze to the sinks, shower, and toilet to prevent freezing in the drain pipes. My favorite part is that when you’re ready to use the trailer, you simply close the faucets/valves and fill the tanks. No cleanup or flushing required. Easy day!
PJ Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:14 AM   #14

Washington
201QB Water Heater Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlarson View Post
2020 Kodiak Ultra Lite 201QB: Does anyone know how to access the bypass valves on the water heater for winterizing. I cannot find them using the outside access to the water heater. These are normally located on the back of the water heater but there is no access to the back without cutting through the paneling next to the toilet or opening up the plastic seal under the trailer; not sure going in from under the trailer would even solve the issue.

Asked customer support, which is a joke; they just said to have the dealer do it. No way am I going to pay $200 plus 4 hour round trip to have $15 worth of antifreeze put into the water system.
I have a 2018 201QB. My water heater is in back driver side corner. Probably like yours. Mine has a panel with screws under the drawers in the bathroom beside the toilet. Remove that and water heater and valves can be reached. I can also reach (barely) by removing both drawers without removing the panel.
bcoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #15

Illinois
Glad you found it

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote