Vynil trim molding coming out, yet agsin - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2023, 04:58 AM   #1

Colorado
Vynil trim molding coming out, yet agsin

Hi, long time, no posts, sorry. We didn't camp last year due to a sick pup pup who had csncer So camper sat in the driveway in the hot Denver sun all season (we did do 'driveway camping night' every couple of weeks which was fun).
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the vynil trim molding along the roof edge (see photo, end piece only, but it does this same curly thing periodically down the track) has, yet again, curled up, i think it shrinks in the heat, pulling out of its track. Yet again I say because it has pulled out of its track every couple of weeks since I bought the trailer in 10/19. Mostly if I drive down the highway the wind pulls it out. But apparently sitting in my driveway is enough to make it shrink and pull out, all on its own! The dealer 'fixed it' when I first bought by adding a screw on the end, but said the trim was only cosmetic and would not be fixed under warranty by them again. Since then we've pulled it back into place with plyers and screwed it down again on the end, followed by sealant, a number of times. I saw where another owner replaced a similar trim but it was on the side of the trailer. He screwed it down every 12 inches (ugh...)
At this point, if it's only cosmetic and has no sealing purpose, I'd like to just remove it - pull it out of the track, expose the metal track, add some sealant on the screws, and be done with it!! But husband says there may be a legitimate purpose to this annoying trim.
So my question to the group is - does anyone know if this trim molding IS purely cosmetic?? Thus can I pull it off and live without this trim piece? Or, does it actually have a purpose? Some sealing mechanism some how? Requiring me to replace it and screw it down every 12 inches?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230312_185630.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	7524  

twertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:40 PM   #2

California
Likely purely cosmetic but not certain as I have a different trailer.

I had a similar issue on mine with other trim and replaced with new and supposedly better trim which did the same thing after a while.

I finally bought a big tube of clear epoxy caulk and sealed each side of the trim edge the entire length. That was about 3 years ago and still holding strong.

If you look closely you can see the caulk but it looks better than an empty channel or a bunch of screw heads every six inches!

Old 03-15-2023, 05:22 PM   #3

California
Measure the width of the mounding and get some of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51bsBQ3EM1L._AC_.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	7525  

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:45 PM   #4

Colorado
Hi chilly3, Do you have any experience using this molding? How well has it held up? I really don't want to replace this trim to only have it curl up again, like Dsol had happen, mostly if it is only cosmetic.
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 03-17-2023, 05:32 AM   #5

California
Mine has held up, but I do store trailer inside. So not a very good test person. The one pictured is better quality and a little bit thicker. I has gotten good reviews.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:29 PM   #6

California
I actually went through the hassle of replacing mine with the kind chily3 mentions and it eventually did the same thing.

That is why I got a tube of clear silicone/caulk and just spread it all over. Obviously, if you look close enough you can see it but to me it looks far better than no molding in the channel or screw hears every 3 inches.

My problem area was on the sides of the trailer where the area that extends out over the truck bed is located. A pretty tight curve which makes it really susceptible to heat and cooling expansion and contraction plus as soon as just a little pops out then the wind catches it while towing and it starts to all pull out.

I honestly don’t think anything would hold long term the way this is designed. Unless, like Chily3 does and you store it indoors which then protects you from the dramatic temperature swings during the day and night.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:16 PM   #7

New Jersey
Yup have the same problem with my aspen trail .. I trimmed the end with a pair of scissors and used lots of black flexible silicone window sealant, and that seems to have solved the problem.. The first time I noticed it, I checked in side along the ceiling and found it slightly damp.. After the fix, the area has been bone dry.. I still check it every once in a while. So Far it only had to be touched up once in the last 6 years..
Safe travels and all the best
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #8

Colorado
Sounds like you kept the trim. Did you replace it with a new piece of trim, like the trim chilly recommended? Where did you apply the silicone?
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 03-21-2023, 02:23 PM   #9

New Jersey
The trim Chilly recommended looks like the right stuff. You can go to this site:
https://www.trekwood.com/index put in the make model etc and search for the trim material..
In my case the trim was coming loose like your photo shows, only it was happening on the right front corner at the downspout like yours.. so I trimmed it and glued the end down with the Silicone caulk.

Safe Travels and all the best.
Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #10

Florida
When you replace the trim and the screw covers, make sure you fold the ends between the base piece and the RV then put the screw in, won't fly out then. Use plenty of BUTYL tape underneath.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:13 AM   #11

Colorado
As always, you guys are so helpful and informative. I have a good road map now of what to use and the little things, like butyl and tucking that end, that can make all the difference! Thank you as always - I'll give it a roll and see how well it lasts, fingers crossed!
(was 2014 4runner)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:35 PM   #12

Florida
Ir should last forever if you tuck in the ends. Installer trick! You can always put a small piece of eternabond tape on it but don’t expect it to come off!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote