Toilet Clog Issue - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #21

Utah
I always thought it was the most bizarre thing.... hopefully Dutchman has a good reason for it.

Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I always thought it was the most bizarre thing.... hopefully Dutchman has a good reason for it.
Wow, you didn't just use "Dutchmen" and "good reason" in the same sentence did you?

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #23

Texas
Quote:
Does it go straight down into the black or does the shelf / pipe 90 into the black?
The flange pipe appears to drop straight down into the tank. The shelf has a pebbled surface finish to what I can tell. I think it may be an offset in the tank for the main connection. But still this is a paper magnet for sure.

Since it has now been seen in three different models, I think it is designed this way (do not get me started on how stupid that would be), or that purchasing got a great deal on some tanks.
g2ktcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #24

Texas
Keystone's Answer...

"The email that you sent me in regards to your concern, I sent over to our service department. My service liaison stated that it does look like the hole in the black tank was not cut correctly, restricting flow. You would need to take to one of our authorized Keystone RV dealers, and have them submit the claim to us."

Remember that I asked her to send this to engineering as something is really screwed up in their process. I guess no one listens these days. So whoever can get to a service location first will get the fastest answer.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #25

Florida
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
"The email that you sent me in regards to your concern, I sent over to our service department. My service liaison stated that it does look like the hole in the black tank was not cut correctly, restricting flow. You would need to take to one of our authorized Keystone RV dealers, and have them submit the claim to us."

Remember that I asked her to send this to engineering as something is really screwed up in their process. I guess no one listens these days. So whoever can get to a service location first will get the fastest answer.
hard to believe they would cut half a hole. I imagine if you take off the flange you will find the other half. At least you got a response. Good Job!

Would LOVE to know what they find when they attempt to repair. When do you think you will be attempting to get service?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #26

Utah
Quote:

Wow! I wonder if it’s a recall of some sort. That is awesome they returned your email !!! I guess I’ll have to do the same thing
Old 06-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #27

Utah
I just sent keystone an email regarding the self at the bottom of my toilet... now let’s see how long it takes them to respond...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1434484-98C0-4F88-AC52-010E99E4E2BF.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	6310  
Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #28

Texas
This shelf is not present in my 2017 Denali, nice, straight shot into the black tank.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #29

Texas
Quote:
I just sent keystone an email regarding the self at the bottom of my toilet... now let’s see how long it takes them to respond...
Probably the same as they sent to me "take to a service center." Getting warranty work done on something you are using is really freaking hard.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #30

Texas
We clogged again today. While we were given a somewhat local place for service, we set up for long term stay at this location. I will have to plan to take it over there soon. Right now, I have to bring in the hose and manually jet the toilet every week or so.

The largest problem is that the shelf does not get any of the treatment chemicals so it smells all the time. The wife will not stand for that.

Also, I believe that there are now 4 different units reporting the same problem. But none have had them rectified as of yet as far as I know.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:22 AM   #31

Washington
Debris in black tank

We bought a brand new 2020 Kodiak 201qb and took it for a shake down weekend camping trip to a nearby RV resort. The very first time I emptied the black tank, the hose clogged up. When I checked the drain hose I found a piece of tile which matched our RVs flooring. Glad it caught in the hose and not inside the trailer itself. That definitely lowered my confidence in Dutchman Kodiak construction and quality control.
PJ Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #32

Texas
Inspection is Done

Camping World did a great job getting me in and out last Friday for our toilet issue. This is all submitted back to Dutchmen/Keystone for a solution. I was told that if they find they need to replace the tank (which is the only real solution) that it would take up to 6 weeks just to get the tank and no more than 3 days to install. We will wait and see.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #33

Texas
Dutchmen got back with Camping World today. They are going to replace the tank...that is the good news. The bad news is going to be the same type of tank. They are looking to slide the tank over enough to reduce the interference down below 20% (as I thought, they have no real 100% solution for this). To be honest, 20% overlap will most likely not be a huge issue but we will have to see how this goes. This is a full warranty claim.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #34

Florida
Quote:
Dutchmen got back with Camping World today. They are going to replace the tank...that is the good news. The bad news is going to be the same type of tank. They are looking to slide the tank over enough to reduce the interference down below 20% (as I thought, they have no real 100% solution for this). To be honest, 20% overlap will most likely not be a huge issue but we will have to see how this goes. This is a full warranty claim.
100% would be to replace the tank and cut the hole in the correct location. That would mean they would need to pay for a new tank. I don't think I completely understand their solution and how it would be to fix the problem. Seems like it would cost more in labor than doing it right. Do you have the option to dispute their solution?

Wonder if the QC person ever does his job !!
Old 07-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #35

Texas
The toilet cannot be moved period as the layout will not allow it. They are replacing the tank with a new one under warranty. The plan is to shift the tank to the driver's side to reduce the shelf exposure as much as possible. Given how this is built, I really do not see much else that can be done. If they can get the overlap down to 20% or less, this might work. And no, I do not like "might work" at all as it will be more inconvenience and costs for me.

The only other option that I can even envision is one where a custom tank is made to eliminate the shelf. However, these tanks are very narrow and the "shelf" is actually the bulkhead where the drain pipe and gate valves are located. The piping connections only have so much room to get the slope right.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #36

Florida
Quote:
The toilet cannot be moved period as the layout will not allow it. They are replacing the tank with a new one under warranty. The plan is to shift the tank to the driver's side to reduce the shelf exposure as much as possible. Given how this is built, I really do not see much else that can be done. If they can get the overlap down to 20% or less, this might work. And no, I do not like "might work" at all as it will be more inconvenience and costs for me.

The only other option that I can even envision is one where a custom tank is made to eliminate the shelf. However, these tanks are very narrow and the "shelf" is actually the bulkhead where the drain pipe and gate valves are located. The piping connections only have so much room to get the slope right.

The tanks come from the manufacturer without being cut. You have to cut the hole before you install it.

https://www.ntotank.com/rv-black-water-tanks

https://www.recpro.com/50-gallon-rv-...waAqe9EALw_wcB

They used a tank for another RV when it was manufactured or cut the hole in the wrong location!
Old 07-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #37

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
The tanks come from the manufacturer without being cut. You have to cut the hole before you install it.

https://www.ntotank.com/rv-black-water-tanks

https://www.recpro.com/50-gallon-rv-...waAqe9EALw_wcB

They used a tank for another RV when it was manufactured or cut the hole in the wrong location!
that is the plan.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:12 PM   #38

Texas
Update

The new tank is in but Camping World's service group is booked through September! lol What a mess.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #39

Texas
Is the Saga over?

I finally got the RV back to Camping World for the fix. Three days they told me. We spent 5 nights in a hotel only to have them tell me that Dutchmen sent them the wrong tank and the put it all back together the way it was originally.

The new tank got shipped in and I dropped the RV off a second time right before Christmas. The entire discharge is not different. It is at a 45 deg angle and about 1" lower than before. The slide valve is now exposed on the bottom. It appears they got a tank with a 45 deg slant on that end rather than a "step." There is no longer a shelf to block the "stuff" going down. While they did this under warranty, I am very unhappy about all the hotel bills.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #40

Wisconsin
Quality?

I don't understand how Dutchmen made your quality TT list.

Dutchmen, Keystone, Voltage, Kodiak are all specifically not recommended.

Older used versions may be much better. Perhaps before 2006.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote