To walk on roof or not to walk on roof...That is the question. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Delaware
To walk on roof or not to walk on roof...That is the question.

Before purchasing my trailer in August on of my questions was if it had a walk-able roof. I called Dutchmen and asked that very question and was told no. I started looking at other manufacturers and wondered if the rep I talked to thought I meant hang out up there. You have to be able to go up on the roof to follow the recommended maintenance on everything that is sealed up there.

I called Dutchmen again and clarified what I meant and this time I was told yes I could walk on the roof however not five feet from the front. So the Aerolite was back on my list and obviously what I went with. The brochure indicated aluminum frame construction and although not as detailed as the Kodiak brochure, that is what I took it to be.

Fast forward to today and I am inspecting the possibility of replacing the vent in the bedroom area with a Maxxair fan. I pulled the interior trim off of the current vent to look for wires to tap into and found that the roof construction is 3/4" x 2" wood strips. Remembering the five foot quote from the Dutchmen rep I pulled the trim from the rear fan and it was the same thing. All of my "beams" across my roof are wood framed.

I guess by aluminum construction they don't mean the roof area. I am now very hesitant to get up on the roof to do anything let alone inspect Dicor.

Has anyone been up on their roof or have some encouraging words?

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

New York
I can tell you our previous Sunline did NOT have a roof that could be walked on - HOWEVER - take a piece of plywood approx. 4' x 4' - cover it with an old blanket or something soft.....place that on the roof and work from there, moving it as your inspection or work progresses - it spreads the weight across the joists...we have done it and did not have any problems...put on MaxAirII covers on the Sunny and did maintenance using the plywood.

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
I can tell you our previous Sunline did NOT have a roof that could be walked on - HOWEVER - take a piece of plywood approx. 4' x 4' - cover it with an old blanket or something soft.....place that on the roof and work from there, moving it as your inspection or work progresses - it spreads the weight across the joists...we have done it and did not have any problems...put on MaxAirII covers on the Sunny and did maintenance using the plywood.
That's a great idea.

I did just get off the phone with Dutchmen again and was told that I could walk on the roof for maintenance (but not to hang out on or put chairs on). I inquired about the construction and was told that it was aluminum construction. I asked for more detail because the brochure is very lacking and after being on hold for five minutes she came back and directed me to the 2012 brochure which provided the detail. She said that would be the same for the 2014 model year. So perhaps what I am seeing is in between the aluminum beams.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #4

Texas
Try using a camera with flash to photograph the joists. I am very concerned that you are seeing any lumber in the attic when the brochure clearly shows Al framing.