Stopping condensation under mattresses on Aerolite 174e Hybrid - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #1

Prince Edward Island
Stopping condensation under mattresses on Aerolite 174e Hybrid

Hi,

We just picked up an Aerolite 174e Hybrid, to upgrade from our ancient pop up. First night out was rather cool, and while we had no issues with the sides of the canvas or anything like that, there was a fair bit of condensation that formed under the mattress overnight. Lucky we noticed it and flipped it up to dry out (which happened pretty quickly). We never ran into this issue with the pop up for some reason, but evidently something about the hybrid seems to be generating more condensation. Anybody have this issue and find a solution? I've seen people suggesting hypervent but at around $100 per bed, that's a fairly expensive solution, I would prefer to find something a bit cheaper/easier if I can.

frdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

Wisconsin
I see there are no posters on this thread. I have no actual experience with the exposed bottom of the bed platform in cold weather. My pop up never went up in freezing weather.

Moisture flows from high humidity warm space to cold space. To block the flow, stop the moisture migration on the warm side. So, in this case put a moisture proof barrier on the top of the mattress. It can be as simple as a sheet of plastic to a mattress pad for bed wetter's. Anything that will stop the flow.

Venting the space under the mattress enough to dissipate the moisture is possible, but difficult. What usually happens is you just move the place where moisture can accumulate.

Good luck with this one! Let us know what you try and how it works.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdalton View Post
Hi,

We just picked up an Aerolite 174e Hybrid, to upgrade from our ancient pop up. First night out was rather cool, and while we had no issues with the sides of the canvas or anything like that, there was a fair bit of condensation that formed under the mattress overnight. Lucky we noticed it and flipped it up to dry out (which happened pretty quickly). We never ran into this issue with the pop up for some reason, but evidently something about the hybrid seems to be generating more condensation. Anybody have this issue and find a solution? I've seen people suggesting hypervent but at around $100 per bed, that's a fairly expensive solution, I would prefer to find something a bit cheaper/easier if I can.
I have 2018 Kodiak Ultra Lite Hybrid and have the same problem Been thinking about putting something like exercise mats under mattress and see if that helps It only does it when it gets cooler outside and warmer in day Will let you know if it works when weather changes and if you find anything let us know
haircut is offline   Reply With Quote