Slide out issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Rev

Virginia
Slide out issues

Good morning everyone! I have an ongoing issue that I am afraid will leave me stranded one day. When I attempt to put my slide in it often takes pushing the button 5-6 times to get it fully retracted. Not sure if it's in the switch or motor or a relay. Any one else have this issue.

Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #2

Colorado
Gotta lube the slide mechanisms or they get sticky!!!!

Ours got to where you start it in, it stops, so you run it out, then back in...and most times it will come on it.

Then got the lube, did it but good...slides now come in or go out on the first try.

I figure each time we take the Voltage out...take a few minutes and lube them again.

Not sure what type of slides you have, but ours are Lippert. Watched the video on exactly where to spray lube. Sure...in the video you can see the components...but in real life...not a chance. So I curve the spray tube, got to the levels of the drives...and give 'em a good squirt. Seems to work just fine!!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

Maryland
I've also had the same problem... I lube them every couple of trips and have not had problems since. Also insure that you do not have a lot of weight in the storage areas in the slide(s); did that once and the slide was noticeably slower. Removed the excess weight (several cases of water bottles) and greatly improved speed.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Rev

Virginia
Thanks Pirate and mjcarte! Will try that. By the way (not lazy just presently at work) do you know where I can find the manufacture of the slide? Where should I look? I've never noticed any id plates or tags on it before.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Rev

Virginia
After a little computer research I am looking forward to going home to track down the issue. found out that most of these models came with Happijac slide outs and that the issue may be either a loose connection or the relay control module may be going bad. Happijac's website is very helpful and I'm determined to track it down. Also it lets you know where the manual retraction connection is. Feeling much better now. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #6

Colorado
Rev,

Be sure to share with us what you find, and how you address it!!

Thanks,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #7
Rev

Virginia
Well Pirate, it was not as exciting or easy as I would have thought and not real sure I found the real answer. I'm not convinced that I have a Happijac slide out either. When I got to looking at it, there is a single roller on the left side of the slide out. NOTE: My slide out is very short and only slides about 12 inches. There are no visible track on the outside. Looked at sides, top and beneath. So I slid the slide out in and discovered the single roller and no visible tracks in side. Found a little dohicky that has approximately 6 wires going into it and made sure all the wires were secure. There is also a plug in time "breaker" like thing that I pulled out and replaced to make sure it was making good connection. I could not put my eyes on the actual motor that moves the slide.(bummer). Yep, frustrated because I even disassembled the u-shaped dinette partially and realized it was a bigger project than what I could handle tonight. SOOOOO, I lubricated the little roller with some dry lub and sprayed a little on the area it runs on. Also sprayed rubber boot for the slide inside and out. Ran it back and forth without any glitches which was different than the past few times. All that to say, I will be contacting the manufacture to see what more I can do to ensure its proper operation. Will update any info I come up with.

Tags
electrical, slide out