Rear bunks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Virginia
Rear bunks

I have question concerning the sleeper bunks. Seems wrong that the bunk section has no AC vent in it and becomes warm unless the curtains are left open. The bathroom adjacent to them has one and is freezing at times when using the AC. Anyone ever make an adjustment in the way air distributed to that section? Poising running another duct, cutting. A hole in the sharing wall?

Hdnvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #2

Maryland
I have added vents to my trunk line. Pulled the current vents down, used a measuring tape and iPhone camera to figure out where the trunk runs, then used a 4 inch hole saw to cut a new vent. I recently added a vent in my living room. I will be doing this in the loft in the near future, just need to buy another vent.

The vent I added is the only vent in the trailer cut with a hole saw, all the others look like they were cut with a jigsaw.

While you are at it, get some HVAC tape (silver stuff) and re-tape all the wholes that were done very shoddy.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #3

Maryland
Another thought also, I have done this in the last two trailers I have had (a bunkhouse and a toy hauler), at the end of the trunk, use expanding foam to seal the back of the attic. My Outback ended in open space, verified by an inspection camera, the Voltage had a piece of foam duct blocking the pass, but was partially blown over. I filled them through the last vents at the end of the trunk.

Cale

Old 03-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #4

Virginia
Thanks for the advice. Apparently the "shoddy" work you duscovered is fairly common.
When you cut into your trunk line did you use a tee? I'm thinking that you ran your holesaw into the ceiling directly below the trunk and then? You holesawed the trunk as well and then added a tee ?
Hdnvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #5

Maryland
Yes, I drilled straight into the ceiling. Have to take it easy though, going to fast with hard pressure is a recipe for disaster. Easy through the wood, then lightly on the duct material. Tape it up, install vent, and enjoy.

Cale