Question on slide-out/pop-out, 2016 Kodiak 240BHSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #1

Arizona
Question on slide-out/pop-out, 2016 Kodiak 240BHSL

Hi all,

In a few days, I'll be picking up a used but new to me 2016 Kodiak 240BHSL. This is my second travel trailer (2008 Keystone was first), but new to the Kodiak model and Dutchmen brand.

When checking out the trailer, I noticed when moving the slide-out in or out, there was a fair amount of "tilt" before it actually began moving in or out, i.e. the outside "face" of the slide-out tilted from being parallel to the side of the trailer while transitioning.

For example, if it started out extended and began moving to stowed, the bottom outside edge would pull in towards the trailer, while the top outside edge remained stationary. The top outside edge would eventually began moving in towards the trailer. Once stowed or extended, it self-corrects and resumes the parallel orientation. Hopefully that makes sense.

Is this normal, or does is need adjustment?

This is different from my experience with my prior trailer. Completely different mechanical methods of moving the slide-out in and out, but on the Keystone it would begin to immediately move in or out, and the outside "face" of the slide-out remained parallel to the side of the trailer while transitioning.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

sgivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:56 PM   #2

Texas
Cable system needs adjusted. Slide cables get stretched over time since slide isn't mounted on rollers causing cable stretch.

Edbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:29 PM   #3

Tennessee
What you’ve described is totally normal for a through frame slide, either hydraulic or electric motor driven. It is not normal for a cable slide, Schwintek, or Slimrack slide.
So, i guess the answer is that it depends.
Dennyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:47 AM   #4

Arizona
After educating myself a bit more on the different slide types, it's an electric rack-and-pinion. My previous Keystone was the cable type, so moved differently. A few local RV shops also confirmed what you're saying, that it's normal for this type. Thanks all!
sgivens is offline   Reply With Quote