Pieces falling off the trailer - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #1

Utah
Pieces falling off the trailer

Got home from a trip the other day and noticed that one of my orange running lights lens covers was missing.

I called the dealer and they informed me they do not produce or sell the lens part by itself, but only sell the entire assembly… LED light wires and all. I went to a trailer supplies specialty store and sure enough they did not sell my particular one.

The dealer said that these falling off is very common due to them only being held on by some weak threads or friction. They suggested I use some sort of glue to secure them. Because I may have to maintain the lights in the future, what type of glue would you guys recommend I use such that the bond could be broken when needed?

Would I apply this glue on the inside thread or fitting of the lens cover?

Hart_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:02 AM   #2

Wyoming
Shouldn't need any special adhesive... You can find replacements at nearly any truck stop, as their trailers use the same type lights as our rigs.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:58 AM   #3

South Carolina
I have plans on replacing all the exterior lights as soon as one of them gives me a reason

I want bigger, better lights anyway. The better to be seen.
My point is I would not replace with original. You may try replacing in matching pairs. Win win!

good luck
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:50 AM   #4

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Shouldn't need any special adhesive... You can find replacements at nearly any truck stop, as their trailers use the same type lights as our rigs.
Thanks everyone. Well - wouldn't one one to use some sort of adhesive just to prevent me having to find truck stops 3x per month? I also wondered if there was a silicon seal or something like that on the outside where the lens contacts the trailer side (to keep water out).

I included photos of the missing and still-there light (on the other side). They are orange (amber?) and 2.5" in diameter with a single LED in the center. I didn't immediately see these on Amazon or at an auto parts store. I'd have to Google to find a truck stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light there.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	5504   Click image for larger version

Name:	light missing.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	5505  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #5

Illinois
Tiny dab of clear silicone. Just enough to help hold it on and easy to take off when you need to change the bulb.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Florida
You are probably going to find that lamp is a throwaway and does not have replaceable parts. I would think your only hope would be to contact Dutchmen, send them a picture, to see if they have them laying around and if they are still available. It is probably something they ordered from some chinese manufacturer by the boatload (literally). When it was assembled, the assembler probably didn't secure the lens enough and it eventually worked loose.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #7

Wisconsin
I lost two lenses of the many from my Kodiak Cub. Mine are Optronics MCL0039 series, LED 2.5" Round Marker/Clearance Lights with Reflex. I had to buy whole assemblies. I ordered replacements from etrailer.com
My intention was to glue the lenses on. I snapped the lenses off the new ones and onto the old bases. The new lenses were so tight I chose not to glue them.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #8

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I lost two lenses of the many from my Kodiak Cub. Mine are Optronics MCL0039 series, LED 2.5" Round Marker/Clearance Lights with Reflex. I had to buy whole assemblies. I ordered replacements from etrailer.com
My intention was to glue the lenses on. I snapped the lenses off the new ones and onto the old bases. The new lenses were so tight I chose not to glue them.
THANK YOU! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED. I never knew about eTrailer.com before. That seems to be exactly the light I should order 10 of.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #9

Wisconsin
You are welcome!

I would not recommend ordering 10. They are not that good.

Check your existing lights and glue any that are even slightly loose. I would use exterior/automotive silicone. Order the missing one and a spare. Then glue them on if necessary also.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Tiny dab of clear silicone. Just enough to help hold it on and easy to take off when you need to change the bulb.
Rusty

+1 This always works. Just a thin line across the top helps hold it and seal it from water and not having any on the bottom lets it drain if water does get in.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #11

Illinois
Any type of clear silicone
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:53 AM   #12

Utah
Thanks everyone. I got the lenses replaced and applied a dab of 100% clear silocone on the top of lense where it abuts to the trailer. Wish me luck!
Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #13

Florida
I replaced all mine with LED's. Got them through Amazon and the quality is far better than the original. I use clear silicone to attach the lens. It's not a glue and will come off if needed but they won't fall off.
Danj2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #14

Florida
These lights are throw aways and should never have to change the bulb if it's an LED. Most of them can't be changed anyway!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 PM   #15

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2718 View Post
I replaced all mine with LED's. Got them through Amazon and the quality is far better than the original. I use clear silicone to attach the lens. It's not a glue and will come off if needed but they won't fall off.
Thanks Dan. Yes - all my lights are LEDs to start with.