Our 2013 300BHSL Review and Dealer Experience - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Texas
Our 2013 300BHSL Review and Dealer Experience

Hello to all,
I have just joined this forum. We purchased our new 300BHSL in April 2013 so we have had it a little over 7 months now. This was our first new RV as the previous one was a used Jayco hybrid. We definetly wanted one that would house our family of 7 (2 adults 2 teens 2 youngsters and golden retreiver). The other part of that equation was that it had to be towable by the Infinity/ Armada platform (seats 7 plus junk) I will not debate anyone on whether we should tow which such a vehicle. I will only say that we are 7, it seats that and has a tow cap of 9k and with the exception of mileage, it is solid for us.
I have seen lots of commentary about quality/ workmanship on this forum. I will tell you we have had issues as well, though I do not believe it is isolated to only this line or brand. Not making any excuses for the maker as serious improvement hopefully has already taken place. What I would like to say is that your dealer makes the difference. I had been told for a long time not to purchase from Toppers located outside of Houston in Waller, TX. "They are too expensive, no service and Bla Bla Bla" We live farily close to them and were looking for an RV so we made a few trips out there. We were treated very nice everytime and decided to purchase. After our first trip there was a list of items that need attention including a leak around the antenna crank, loose handle/ trim ond other items. They said it would be normal to have things that needed attention and we did. Brought it in and 2 weeks later picked up. We used it 3 other times and had a few other items, mostly small annoying things that needed attention but never the same thing twice. Finally our grand 2 week trip to Florida in July. We put it thru its paces as any 7 person family will do for a hard 2 weeks and again we came away with items that needed to be repaired like a leaking shower pan, and AC duct vent and other things. Wouldnt you know it I wacked a palm tree at a Mobile AL gas station and it cut the roof....OMG . Toppers temporarily repaired the roof, we filed the claim and they fixed everything else in advance of our next trip to the river in September. Here is the important part; The service advisor says..."say how is the (15k) AC working?" I said well heck it could be better, takes a good while to cool down. He says "yes Kodiak is having issues with the duct only system on these coaches... tell you what I will get Kodiak to authorize a replacement lower unit for you no charge. That way you can have both the bottom dump on your AC which will help cool the main cabin off faster and then you can close it off so that it only goes thru the ducts." I was like uhhhhhh ok yes ...lol.
We come back from our Sept outing with a completly cracked in half rear dresser as my wife goofed and didnot check the bunkhouse before she pulled in the slide...crap. I sheepishly told the advisor "Man I sure could use a break on that dresser" I dont know what it would cost to fix it but it was smashed badly! a few weeks later The Insurance company forked over the check for the new roof and the other day we picked up our RV. I about fell out.. Not only were the roof repairs done as agreed. the dresser in the back was completley back to new condition.
Folks look, we love camping and hanging out with others that do. hopefully now we have all of our issues handled with our Kodiak addressed. We do love it and it is very nice. I cannot say what for certain which brand will be the next one but I can tell you for certain who I am purchasing from. Your dealer makes a difference!

JHandLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #2

Oregon
Congrats on the 300BHSL. I got the exact same trailer a few months before you (Jan 2013) and towing with the exact same vehicle.... 2009 Infiniti QX56 capable of towing 8900lbs. QX has the power, but not the wheel base. Its doable, and not too bad. The tow stabilizer and weight distribution kit definitely helps.

My shower pan leaks too. I was thinking of caulking it myself. Was that the issue? Or was it something else wrong with it? And yes, the AC isn't too cold on days that are over 80 degrees.

Sounds like you got lucky with a good dealer. Mines been okay, just hate taking it in. But I will before my one year warranty is over.

Have fun and enjoy.

sithc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
Welcome JHandLH & family to the Forum. A while back my DW asked our son what he enjoyed most when growing up. His answer "out camping and fishing". Out there we didn't have television (barely got radio in some places), there wasn't the video games nor the attraction of the mall. It was three people trying to entertain ourselves out in the woods and out on the water. We hiked, fished, photographed, toured, etc, etc. our daylight hours and talked about it over a campfire at night. Camping is a great way to enjoy our kids for the short time we have them. You're on the right path, hopefully we can help you along the way.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

Texas
Hi sithc
The shower leak definitely was exactly that. The dealer resealed with silicone the entire bottom of the shower/ pan. By itself no biggie but combined with the other things I just let them handle it.
With regard to the A/C here is my assessment/advice. We have the 15k option. My brother in law has a new Open Range TT with the dual option bottom dump/ central vents, so I had instant comparison between his and mine (both 30+ft Bunk houses). It is common to have this on many RVs, it just isn’t available on ours. I knew I wanted it so when the dealer offered it I jumped. Possibly yours will do the same if you question them on it? As for cooling, I can tell you that the 15k ducted vent does cool the trailer but, I needed air movement especially in the main area of the coach. On a hot day it is especially nice if you are indoors to feel the cool air blowing (something you don’t get with just the vents.) The bottom dump does cool off it off quickly… then, as desired close off to central venting. Good luck with yours and be careful…..man that thing is long lol.
Totally agree on the Q56…It gets us by.
@ kayakcrazy- Many thanks for the warm welcome. We are a traveling circus and enjoy many short trips the great outdoors including lakes, rivers and the Texas Hill Country. We know our kids are benefitting from these experiences! I hope to be able to contribute to the forum in the near future and also gain knowledge from the other members!

2013 Kodiak 300BHSL
JHandLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

15K A/C Enhancement (sorta)

I have the 242RESL with the 15K AC and in Texas when the temps are about 100 deg., it can be difficult to cool down. It's not a Kodiak issue, since the laws changed and the type of Freon all vendors must use, it's just not as cool efficient as the freon we used back in the '90s.

With the 2013 242RESL, I can choose to open the dump that's immediately below the main A/C which is located centrally in the living area. When you do so, air blasts down, but unfortunately not much makes it back thru the vents to the bedroom. Now if you close the main dump, air flows thru the vents, but all vents are directional, but not close-able. When we're sleeping at night, we wanted to be able to close off the vents in the front and force all the vent air back to the bedroom.

The solution is a cheap and easy fix. Venting Products / AC Vents - DW Inc.. The style "Aireport" #5840 RV AC Ceiling Vent is a direct replacement for the ones in the Kodiak. The ceiling holes don't need to be modified. Just unscrew the 4 screws, drop the original and insert these. The vent has a screw action to open and close. If you want to close it completely, you'll see little plastic nubs on the underside of the screw cover, just snip those off and it'll then close all the way.

You can see the items (even the nubs are visible). The cost a whopping $2.75 each.

hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote