OEM Tires on Kodiak Cub - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #1

Alberta
OEM Tires on Kodiak Cub

Has anyone out there changed out OEM tires (Westlake) on 2021 Kodiak Cub. I do not plan to do any off roading and do not need the off road tread that is on this tire. Also thinking that with the off road tread it is more drag, more bumpy ride, more tire heat to tow around.
Not sure if I should change out or what tire I should change to???

kodiaknewbie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:51 PM   #2

California
I would change simply because they are cheap tires made in China. I honestly don’t think the tread pattern will have any material impact on ride or heat build up. As a matter of fact I have all terrain tires on my truck now and first two sets were not. The ride is better than ever and I ride in the truck and don’t tow it behind me. Tire construction/quality and inflation pressure will have far greater impact on ride quality than tread depth and pattern.

I had Westlake’s on my trailer when new and got a blow out while towing straight on the freeway at maybe 60 mph with tire pressure monitors showing normal temps and pressures. Now it is totally possible I ran over something but I think it just let go. I replaced with Goodyear Endurance tires which are American made and also have a legitimate speed rating of about 80 mph, plus the highest weight rating I could find at the stock 80 psi pressure the trailer and rims were designed to carry.

My Voltage is a much heavier trailer than your Kodak but I would still change those tires for the reasons above.

Old 05-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #3

Florida
Replace ASAP. Goodyear endurance are a great choice. Make sure you replace the valve stems with high pressure stems also. Tire rack is a good choice for purchasing tires and valves.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiaknewbie101 View Post
Has anyone out there changed out OEM tires (Westlake) on 2021 Kodiak Cub. I do not plan to do any off roading and do not need the off road tread that is on this tire. Also thinking that with the off road tread it is more drag, more bumpy ride, more tire heat to tow around.
Not sure if I should change out or what tire I should change to???
Don't worry about the tread on the tires. The tread looks rough just to give the effect that the trailer is tough. It is all about selling.

Off-roading needs high ground clearance. Tread has little to do with it.

If you have lots of money, go ahead and replace the new tires. My Cub is a 2018 model and is now 3 years old. Thousands of miles and no problems. I have had lots of problems with my Cub, but none have anything to do with the tires. I run the air pressure at max label on the side wall.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #5

Florida
Ordinarily, I would listen to Paul’s advice but not this time. West lake tires are junk and he may have been one of the lucky ones. Lately, I believe Tom had a mishap on one of his Goodyear tires but they had 40,000 or so miles on them. Change the tires, 400.00 well spent. There are plenty of discussions here concerning lions head tires. Except for tiremen (who ALWAYS blames it on operator error) and a few others, change the tires.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:59 PM   #6

California
I agree change to the endurance. Have had them for over 15,000 miles. I did weight my trailer before changing tires to make sure I do not overload them . Always check the tire pressure before you leave and should invest in a good tire pressure monitoring system. Metal valve stems are are must.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:18 PM   #7

Washington
I have a 2018 cub - factory tires with over 15,000 miles changing them out this month to GY Endurance before we take off for 2 months - haven't had any issues with the stock tires - always checking pressure and I don't exceed the speed rating but don't want to risk anything on the long 10,000 mile trip!
Be safe!
TK on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #8

Alberta
Thank you for your reply

kodiaknewbie101 is offline   Reply With Quote