Odd Kodiak tank sizes? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #1

Texas
Post Odd Kodiak tank sizes?

Originally while looking for a new toyhauler and comparing tank capacities I found the Kodiak 292TQB tank sizes were odd.

They are listed as follows 52-fresh, 28-black, and 67-gray,
I thought at the time well surely that's a typo because why would you need a larger gray tank that much larger than the fresh?
I haven't thought much about it but while getting prepared for the arrival of the new unit I thought I'd ask the Kodiak Rep to confirm those ratings.

His answer was "yes those are the correct sizes and no I don't know why they are that way."

After thinking about it the only answer I have is there are two gray tanks and to be practical they are that combined capacity, but that doesn't make allot of sense either as this is a single bath, single sink unit.

Anyone have a 300BHSL or 292TQB that can confirm the tank capacities?

Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #2

Tennessee
Can't shed any light on why they did that, but don't knock extra gray capacity. In practice, we have found ourselves on several occasions at campsites where our hose(s) could reach the potable water spigot to replenish our fresh water, but if the gray gets full (always quicker than the black), our only option (in the absence of a "blue boy") is to break camp and go dump the gray. Count your blessings ;^)
BTW, our 221 RBSL has F=52, G=39, B=28
Enjoy your new rig. We love ours!

2013 Kodiak 253RBSL - 2004 Ford Expedition
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #3

Texas
Panhandler, thanks for the input.

The thing that started me thinking about this in the first place is the majority of our trips will be to a local off road riding spot that has electric but no water hook ups. During our stays, water seems to be a concern, as it should be and the end result is always lack of fresh water. I was hoping the tanks in the 292 were mislabeled in that the fresh was a 67 gallon and the gray was a 52, that would make allot more sense to me. Gray water hasn't really been a issue any where I've stayed as we usually just run a 100' of hose and let the gray water run out in a non travelled area. Even at musical festivals we have attended were there are hundreds of campers the gray water is not a issue, more fresh water would be great.

One of my first missions with this trailer will be to figure out the tank situation.
If it's remotely possible I will be attempting to rearrange the tanks or plumbing to retain more fresh water.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:14 AM   #4

Colorado
In looking at the floor plan, I would surmise that there are 2 grey tanks, one for bath and one for galley. I am surprised however at the amount of fresh. When we were shopping and still considering a toy hauler we found that they (the ones we looked at) always had a much larger fresh water capacity so that you could wash your before putting them away.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #5

Texas
Chalkie, that is part of the trade off with this toy hauler. I have been telling people it's more of a TT with a garage than a toy hauler, it doesn't have or even offer many of the features that a "conventional" Toy Hauler has, however it meets our needs quit well and the only real feature I am going to miss will be the fueling station.

As you stated I think allot of toy haulers have a large water tank for cleaning the toys as well as boondocking at riding spots with no hook ups which is pretty close to my situation, I would love to have a larger unit with all the options but I just can't haul it with my current vehicle and really don't care to pull a 15K lb TT, If I was in that position I believe I would just upgrade to a 5er.

I would really like 67 gallons vs 52 though!

Tags
292tqb, gray tank, size