No bunkbed ladder - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Maryland
No bunkbed ladder

I have the Kodiak 284BHSL, there wasn't any kind of ladder or step included to help get into the top bunk. I am pretty tall myself, and think it would be hard even for me to get up there, no handle up there to help pull yourself up there. Just wondering if anybody has come up with something for theirs to solve the problem. a ladder or step on the floor would get in the way of the bathroom door. You can step on the bottom bunk, but I'm afraid the kids are going to catch that thin panel under that bunk and rip it off by accident, plus still need something to help pull you up doing it that way.

Wakeisland53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #2

Re: No bunkbed ladder

Hi Bruce. I have just picked up my Dutchmen Sport & have the same problem. Not come up with a solution yet. Maybe one of those small stepping stools from walmart & a small grab handle on the wall....I'm sure we will figure it out with all the input here.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #3

Maryland

Yeah I'm sure we can figure something out from input in here, glad I'm not the only one. I had thought about a rolling step stool like we have here at work, goes down to the floor when you put your weight on it. Thought about trying the boys bunkbed ladder from their room to see if it will fit the top rail, lol. Also have wondered if there is a rope ladder one could buy somewhere possibly. Havent tried researching yet, this the first time I have asked anyone except the dealer, the guy I talked to didn't have much of an idea to offer on the problem.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #4

Maryland

Did a little surfin for RV bunkbed ladders, looks like either make your own ladder, or find a suitable substitute(maybe reg bunkbed ladders with hooks), or buy an RV bunkbed ladder. This one site says most mfgrs don't include a ladder, probably for safety/liability issues it says. The RV ladders can be ordered with diff size hooks, or a screw mount to the rail, and two diff lengths I think. I'm going to try the boys reg bunkbed ladder we have here first, and go from there, it hangs from the top rail, but don't know if the hook will fit it yet. Heres just a couple links I found, there are a few other sites with little diff prices.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/20/rv-bunk-bed-ladder

http://www.jcwhitney.com/rv-bunk-bed-la ... 18396.jcwx
Old 05-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #5

They look pretty good,nice and lite as well by the look of them. Might just have to give them a go.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #6

Maryland

Yeah I was thinkin the same thing ;-hap .
Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #7

Saskatchewan

We kept the one we made when we had our KZ. It worked in our 284BHSL but my 9 year old would rather not use it. She just steps up on the botttom bunk and lifts herself up...
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #8

Maryland

There is a thin panel below that though that I can see my stepson catching it with his foot and breaking or cracking it if he would push on the wrong area(covers the outside kitchen I believe), and what do you pull yourself up on, there isnt any handles, a bedsheet isnt much to grip on or use for pulling your weight. I started to try getting up there while at the dealer for pickup, didn't seem easy to me, but I don't know, maybe being tall somehow makes it seem harder cause of hitting your head on the ceiling or something. I wouldn't mind going out there to make another attempt at getting up there myself, however, it is still at the dealer for a broke slide .
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #9

Utah
I have a 2013 276bhsl I went to homedepot and bought two decorative corbels that you might use to support a shelf. These corbels are about 8"x8" and are close to 3" thick. I cut a 45* on the part that mounts to the wall. Once I had them both cut I stained them with a mahogany color and one coat of poly. I found the hight that would work for the kids and mounted them right at the end of the wall that is about 3" wide that seperats the bunks and the closet. I then picked up a grab bar just like the one on the outside the bathroom door outside and mounted it on the bunkbed side of the same wall but between ceiling and second bunk. It looks like they where built at factory. I hope I explained that well enough if not I can snap a pic or two. Total cost was about $15.00.
bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs slc View Post
I have a 2013 276bhsl I went to homedepot and bought two decorative corbels that you might use to support a shelf. These corbels are about 8"x8" and are close to 3" thick. I cut a 45* on the part that mounts to the wall. Once I had them both cut I stained them with a mahogany color and one coat of poly. I found the hight that would work for the kids and mounted them right at the end of the wall that is about 3" wide that seperats the bunks and the closet. I then picked up a grab bar just like the one on the outside the bathroom door outside and mounted it on the bunkbed side of the same wall but between ceiling and second bunk. It looks like they where built at factory. I hope I explained that well enough if not I can snap a pic or two. Total cost was about $15.00.

A picture would be nice!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #11

Utah
You got it I'll post tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #12

Utah
Sorry it took so long.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #13

Utah
This is my solution to the ladder. Again I'm very sorry for the very delayed reply. Just got a new phone a d its a new world...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131002_224644.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	842